Our Success is in our members who value our strength as a valued community.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,371
Posts1,033,342
Members14,588
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
9 members (3 invisible), 10,691 guests, and 551 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,791
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
EricB, H2OH2O, Jasontodd, jamiemc75, Bunny
14,588 Registered Users
New General Forums
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
Last person to post wins...
by GaryB - 9th Oct 2007 9:15pm
New Wirral History
Through the Window: GWR Paddington to Birkenhead
by yoller - 16th Aug 2017 7:09pm
Possible crop marks in Landican?
by tomstevens - 21st Apr 2010 4:53pm
Top Posters(30 Days)
casper 4
lincle 4
Topic Replies
garage wanted
by robin47 - 3rd May 2024 5:53pm
Looking for an old engine
by diggingdeeper - 3rd May 2024 2:36pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by capitulinagarage - 3rd May 2024 12:55pm
What song are you listening to?
by GaryFromWirral - 3rd May 2024 5:36am
Plastic sheds
by muzzy2 - 2nd May 2024 2:41pm
Hi to everyone
by casper - 30th Apr 2024 6:59pm
turkish sofa
by Jasontodd - 29th Apr 2024 8:24pm
italian furniture
by Jasontodd - 29th Apr 2024 7:07pm
leather sofa set
by Jasontodd - 29th Apr 2024 4:47pm
May
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
casper 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
Mark 4
casper 4
Gibbo 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Fines handed out to litterbugs in Wirral topped £281,000 in the first three months of a new crackdown

Fines handed out to litterbugs in Wirral topped £281,000 in the first three months of a new crackdown – with most given to people in Birkenhead and Tranmere.

Figures released by Wirral Council under the Freedom of Information Act have revealed where people have been fined and how many since a dedicated litter patrol began issuing £80 fixed penalty notices in July.

Although the figures could be explained by the patrols focusing on the busiest areas in Wirral, Wirral Council says it will be reviewing where the patrols are sent.

The largest proportion share of fines, at 35% totalling 1,390 fines, were handed out in Birkenhead and Tranmere, followed by Bromborough with 19%, or 759 fines.

New Brighton was third, with 396 fines (10.05%), then Wallasey, where 291 people were fined (7%), Rock Ferry with 231 and Liscard (159).

No fines were handed out in Clatterbridge, Thingwall, Lower Heswall, Greasby & Frankby and Irby.

The council’s new dedicated litter patrol fined 3,524 people from July 1 to September 30. As of October 22, 2,273 had been paid. Some of the 1,251 who have not paid have arranged extensions on the payment date.

Seven fines have been cancelled after an appeal.

The information was revealed after a request by former Wirral councillor Ian Lewis of Wallasey Conservatives, published on whatdotheyknow.com.

Conservative Councillor David Burgess-Joyce, representing Greasby, Frankby and Irby, said: “I am, as most residents are, immensely lucky and proud to live on the Wirral but it is a sad fact that litter often blights many of our roads and green spaces. As a keen supporter of fines for those that litter it seems that Greasby, Frankby and Irby has yet again not received the attention its fellow residents in Birkenhead consistently enjoy.

“I understand the denser population and retail centre Birkenhead contains but I also appreciate that all Wirral residents should receive support in ousting those who deliberately abuse our great peninsula.”

A spokesman for Wirral Council said: “More notices tend to be issued in busy shopping areas where there is a high footfall.

“We will however be looking at the results to see where we need to target resources.”

Anyone seen dropping and leaving litter receives an on-the-spot penalty of £80, which is reduced to £60 if paid within ten days.

Earlier this year, Cllr Bernie Mooney, Wirral Council cabinet member for the environment, said it showed the council meant business in tackling littering.

Fines for dropping litter in Wirral (Area/total/percentage)
Liscard 159 4.03%

Seacombe 45 1.14%

Wallasey 291 7.38%

Moreton 156 3.96%

Leasowe 17 0.43%

New Brighton 396 10.05%

Bromborough 759 19.26%

Eastham 18 0.46%

Bebington 174 4.42%

Clatterbridge 0 0.00%

Port Sunlight 3 0.08%

Lower Heswall 0 0.00%

Hoylake 54 1.37%

Meols 10 0.25%

West Kirby & Thurstaston 95 2.41%

Heswall 9 0.23%

Upton 42 1.07%

Pensby 1 0.03%

Thingwall 0 0.00%

Greasby & Frankby 0 0.00%

Irby 0 0.00%

Claughton 4 0.10%

Prenton 12 0.30%

Rock Ferry 231 5.86%

Birkenhead & Tranmere 1390 35.27%

Bidston & St James 36 0.91%

Oxton 6 0.15%

Spital 2 0.05%

Woodchurch 20 0.51%

New Ferry 11 0.28%

Totals: 3,941 100.00%

Source : Click me

Google Ads
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Its a bit naughty displaying the numbers and percentages for different areas without also displaying how many man-hours were spent patrolling each area.

They have also prosecuted some fly-tippers eg CLICKY

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

https://ddue.uk
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
THE first prosecutions of people who failed to pay fixed penalty notices handed out as part of Wirral Council’s “zero-tolerance” crackdown on littering have been brought before the courts.

An £80 fine issued for dropping litter spiraled in to £370 for 16 people who failed to enter a plea or attend court.

In total, 18 cases were dealt with at Wirral Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday, with two people pleading guilty by letter and the other 16 found guilty in their absence.

The 16 who failed to enter a plea or attend court were all hit with a fine of £100, as well as being ordered to pay £100 contribution to the council’s prosecution costs, £150 criminal court costs and a £20 victim surcharge.

http://wirralglobe.co.uk
https://www.wirral.gov.uk/news/06-11-2015/court-convicts-18-non-payment-litter-fine

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
If they had coughed up within 10 days of their criminal offence they might only have needed to pay £60.

If they had appealed within 10 days they might only have had to pay £60 or perhaps nothing.

I wonder how many of these are going to end up getting bailiff fees on top of what they owe all ready?

Well done to the Council for helping make Wirral a cleaner place and trying to drag us out of slum culture.

We don't do charity in Germany, we pay taxes. Charity is a failure of governments' responsibilities - Henning Wehn

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Whilst I agree with the principle, not with the huge amount that the fines actually are.

Of those 16, how many might be ill ? Ill enough to fail to appreciate the problem, ill enough not to even open any mail, ill enough to not even care ? For those who are ill, who will appeal on their behalf ?

Those with mental health issues, cannot cope with any such stress and simply bury their heads in the sand. Quite often it is those people or those with depression who fail to understand the simple rules, because they can't cope with simple rules. Rules mean little to them and money also means little to them. These people could not even think of attending court. It would make them vomit with fear.

To actually have a £60 fine that reaches £370 is totally out of control.

Wirral Council, you are a disgrace to the people you pretend to support.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
What's the alternative though ? If the council dont do anything after you've dropped litter and ignored an imposed fine, its hardly fair on the people who DO take litter home and those who DO pay their fine and I presume most of the offenders DONT have mental health issues.
Maybe for those who ignore fines ,they could be made to do some 'voluntary' litter picking as an alternative. During the organizing/carrying out , any mental health issues would be spotted , exempted ,and treated accordingly .

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by venice
. During the organizing/carrying out , any mental health issues would be spotted , exempted ,and treated accordingly .

How would they ?

Out of all the fines, there were only 16 who have been given max, for not turning up to court etc. That would indicate there is a deeper problem regarding those people.

Voluntary work could be an alternative for some who are unemployed. There again, being unemployed can cause massive depression.

Last edited by granny; 7th Nov 2015 12:37pm.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
Quote granny
"Out of all the fines, there were only 16 who have been given max, for not turning up to court etc. That would indicate there is a deeper problem regarding those people"

That would surprise me - I think that theres just a lot of 'couldnt be arsed' people around BECAUSE thats just the way they are. They dont see dropping litter as a problem as "it gives a job to a cleaner/roadsweeper" is their convenient mantra ,and they dont mind seeing crap around them everywhere they go.

Theres a field near here where teens like to sit and smoke/eat/talk in the Summer. Pretty spot . Each year they chuck their litter and break glass bottles there, and just move over a few feet to a clearer patch , each time they go! Not bothered at all. I believe these teens will grow into the people we are talking about . The C.B.Arsed group. Yes of course there will be a few people who are genuinely SO mentally poorly they cannot realize/accept there are litter rules, but come on , its not rocket science to pop something in the bin. Acute depression does NOT render you stupid, nor does it in my opinion (except in rare cases) excuse you from keeping to simple rules set for the benefit of all.

Yes, Id go with a warning for first offence though.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Wait for the Wirral's most wanted posters next for those that never gave any details.

Never heard of the word caution first offence??

Originally Posted by granny
Whilst I agree with the principle, not with the huge amount that the fines actually are.

To actually have a £60 fine that reaches £370 is totally out of control.

Wirral Council, you are a disgrace to the people you pretend to support.

withthat

When we all get the message, and fines are not so easy to come by, i hope wirral Council this comes back and bites you so hard in the backside.

The fine does no fit the crime.

£60 for littering. . .
Ok your caught, i bet you want to pick it up dont you, for £60 let wirral Council clean it up.

Fine me £10 I will apologies and pick it up for you. If you caution me i will apologise and wish you good day wanting to return to wirral again.

I had friends from London over, and one of them was a smoker, so i give him the low down on this littering crap. He had not heard about it, wasn't aware of it, and said himself there are no signs or warnings.

Kill the visitors off Wirral Council, as my friend said if he was hit with a fine of £80 he would never return again.

Thats what visitors think about your golden rules.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
@Venice . Acute depression does not render anyone stupid, in fact many who suffer it are extremely clever. Until someone has experienced the knock on effects of such things ,it's difficult to fully realise how dreadful a time and the symptoms they experience. Not having any money causes acute depression, and probably one of the worst holes to ever fall into. Fines on top of adds suicidal properties.

I would suggest the littler police spend more time in your area Venice, more revenue to be made . wink

You are right about that Mark.

Visitors won't return if there is litter, neither will they return at the cost of a £60 fine. Common sense needs to prevail in such matters, but I dare a say a visitor to the area would be let off, due to pleading ignorance.

Same as parking and dog crap on beaches. I suppose we could demand that dog piddle also be part of the package.
Now that would get some revenue in ! It would also show that we are all guilty of an offence before we place judgement on others.

~Chief Seattle
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
One year ago .... Picking up litter in the street is now the task of residents as Newcastle City Council says it can no longer afford to sweep up all of the city’s rubbish.

Is that the situation we want Wirral to be in?

SOURCE

Forum Guardian
Forum Guardian
Well I disagree with the thought that getting fined for litter will keep visitors/tourists away ,but there should be more notices and a warning for first offences ,and then fining for any following offence would be fully justified, and surely people would come MORE if an area was known for being litterfree and therefore more attractive ? If after letting off first offenders plus lets say people seriously enough affected by clinical depression to be being treated by their doctor, but followed through with big fines on the rest , I reckon people WOULD learn not to do it . £10 fines wont deter the C.B.Arsed ones.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
So we spend more notices on signs (even though there are plenty around and its common knowledge that littering is illegal).

More money on repairing the signs that get vandalised.

More money warning people (including confirming identity).

More money checking if its first or second offence.

More money administrating the list.

And still not get a penny back off the criminals who make this necessary.

We've been too soft for far too long and its not worked - I don't think anyone can deny that the new strategy will work - when it works there will be very few fines.

Forum Veteran
Online Content
Forum Veteran
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper

And still not get a penny back off the criminals who make this necessary.

Wish you'd stop using the word "criminal" maybe transgressor would be better.
Criminals to my mind are usually those that commit a crime to which there is no financial gain (such as fines etc) to recompense us
I also think several crimes have now been de-criminalised to keep crime figures down.
Will litter dropping now be classified as a crime thus putting up crime figures on Wirral substantially

Smartchild
Smartchild
The statistic for the fines should have the percentage of fines per post code.Birkenhead has a good number of visitors from the areas with a zero fines rating.I am for "one Wirral",and where you drop your litter is of less relevance than knowing what corner of Wirral the culprit came from.

Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
garage wanted
by robin47 - 3rd May 2024 5:53pm
Plastic sheds
by muzzy2 - 2nd May 2024 2:41pm
turkish sofa
by Jasontodd - 29th Apr 2024 8:24pm
italian furniture
by Jasontodd - 29th Apr 2024 7:07pm
leather sofa set
by Jasontodd - 29th Apr 2024 4:47pm
For Sale & Free
Member Spotlight
TheComputerLab
TheComputerLab
Wallasey
Today's Birthdays
There are no members with birthdays on this day.
New Wirral Info
Help Needed for Virginia Creeper Removal
by Rinchen - 28th Apr 2024 2:08pm
Wanted Gardener
by dodie - 24th Apr 2024 1:09pm
Plymyard House
by Granada - 23rd Apr 2024 2:35pm
recommendation, please
by muzzy2 - 16th Apr 2024 7:39pm
Traffic Wardens
by Excoriator - 11th Apr 2024 4:11pm
News : New Topics