WikiWirral its great, register, enjoy and welcome.
Forum Statistics
Forums65
Topics76,372
Posts1,033,353
Members14,590
Most Online16,551
Feb 2nd, 2024
Who's Online Now
11 members (4 invisible), 6,741 guests, and 482 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
sunnyside 45,164
MattLFC 22,315
Mark 21,269
granny 17,791
_Ste_ 16,345
Newest Members
Pasttraveller, LiamW1897, EricB, H2OH2O, Jasontodd
14,590 Registered Users
New General Forums
Hi to everyone
by PaulRobson - 15th Apr 2024 1:18pm
Last person to post wins...
by GaryB - 9th Oct 2007 9:15pm
New Wirral History
Grange Road Co-Op
by Erainn - 6th May 2024 3:08pm
ST Hugh Birkenhead and Maris Stella NB
by terrier - 20th Apr 2023 7:33pm
Possible crop marks in Landican?
by tomstevens - 21st Apr 2010 4:53pm
233 Caledonia Inn 68 Market Street
by derekdwc - 6th Jan 2009 12:32am
Top Posters(30 Days)
lincle 4
Topic Replies
Grange Road Co-Op
by bert1 - 6th May 2024 5:18pm
233 Caledonia Inn 68 Market Street
by diggingdeeper - 5th May 2024 6:13pm
ST Hugh Birkenhead and Maris Stella NB
by gregory66 - 5th May 2024 5:57am
garage wanted
by diggingdeeper - 4th May 2024 2:01pm
Looking for an old engine
by diggingdeeper - 3rd May 2024 2:36pm
Restaurant/pub with outdoor seating - Bromborough
by capitulinagarage - 3rd May 2024 12:55pm
What song are you listening to?
by GaryFromWirral - 3rd May 2024 5:36am
Plastic sheds
by muzzy2 - 2nd May 2024 2:41pm
Hi to everyone
by casper - 30th Apr 2024 6:59pm
May
M T W T F S S
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
Top Likes Received (30 Days)
casper 1
Top Likes Received
bert1 14
casper 4
Mark 4
granny 3
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 20 of 27 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 26 27
Wiki Veteran
Wiki Veteran
Didn't they use gravey browing too ash too?

Google Ads
Green Meanie
Wiki Master
Green Meanie
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by Sarah_ZR
Didn't they use gravey browing too ash too?
only for tanning i think

[Linked Image] Please do not adjust your mind, there is a slight problem with reality
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by Tombraider
Is it true that in world war 2 that the women used to draw a line up the back of there legs so it looked like they were wearing stockings!

Yes they did, but they also used to darn their stockings with silk thread. My mum carried on doing that for years afterwards. Patience is a virtue.

Last edited by granny; 6th Jan 2012 1:50am.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Wiki Addict
Wiki Addict
Originally Posted by granny
Is it true that in world war 2 that the women used to draw a line up the back of there legs so it looked like they were wearing stockings!

Yes they did, but they also used to darn their stockings with silk thread. My mum carried on doing that for years afterwards. Patience is a virtue.
what did they use to draw the line Granny?

Wiki Addict
Wiki Addict
Must admit granny saw some pics and loved the fashion and haistyles also red lippy was in then same as today.
love the pencil skirts and box jackets

Wiki Master
Wiki Master

what did they use to draw the line Granny?

They used to stain their legs with tea and draw a line with pencil. I imagine that would have been a very soft pencil or even an eye liner pencil, but I'm not sure. The clothes were great. They all seemed to have very trim figures but no doubt lived on a very low fat diet at that time and the fashions made them look so smart. They even managed their hair really well too, they didn't go to hairdressers. I still have my mothers coat which she went on her honeymoon in. It's 70 plus years old and lovely. Cream fake fur with padded shoulders,a small stand up collar, cuffs on the sleeves, one hook to fasten mid way and the bottom draped around to the back from midthigh level.All fully lined. I could never give it away as she had kept it all those years. Lovely designs then.

Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
~Chief Seattle
Veteran
Veteran

Off topic posts removed.

The title of this thread is "Was it really better?" please try and stay on topic.

This is the original post for you guidance:

Originally Posted by Elizabeth
Reading through so many posts in the Wirral History section brings back so many happy memories of childhood, but I am thinking....were things really better back then or was it just because we were children and didn't know all the evil in the world? We had no internet or mobile phones to google things, plus you never watched the news anyway because it was boring. Once the magic roundabout was over you didn't wait to watch Robert Dougal reading the news.
People who were old when we were kids would talk of the good old days and say things were better back in their day.
Is it our memory that makes us think things were better and also what will todays children say when they're in their 40's and 50's about how their life was back in the 2000's?

Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran
Thanks, uptoncx, I was about do that myself, but I had to go out.

Carpe diem.
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by geekus
Was it a straight Advocaat, or a 'Snowball'? I reckon people only ever drink 'Snowballs' at Christmas!

And what about you granny, when you were going out in the Sixties? Bet you were more of a 'Babycham' kind of girl. There seemed to be far less choice for lady drinkers back then. Could be wrong but apart from Babycham the only other ones I can remember were 'Cherry B', and 'Pony'.

Yep, straight Advocaat with a cherry on a stick. I don't think they'd heard of snowballs-- as a drink.

Rum and black in the very late 60's. So sweet it took the taste of the rum away but we had to look cool didn't we? Then things deteriorated for a little while after that, tried everything!

We were drinking rum & black early/mid 60s.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Originally Posted by Helles
I remember one teacher used to hit you with a plimsoll. I am convinced to this day that he got his jollies by doing it.

Personally I brought my children up properly and if any teacher had hit one of mine, they would have been hit right back by me and sod the consequences. Which ever way you look at it, it is violence and has no place in modern society.

I know it has been repeated many times but one only has to look at old school punishment logs to see that the same names kept cropping up thus proving it wasn't a deterent.

I truly pity teachers these days but it all boils down to parents in the end.

????

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Originally Posted by Spellbinder
Originally Posted by geekus
Was it a straight Advocaat, or a 'Snowball'? I reckon people only ever drink 'Snowballs' at Christmas!

And what about you granny, when you were going out in the Sixties? Bet you were more of a 'Babycham' kind of girl. There seemed to be far less choice for lady drinkers back then. Could be wrong but apart from Babycham the only other ones I can remember were 'Cherry B', and 'Pony'.

Yep, straight Advocaat with a cherry on a stick. I don't think they'd heard of snowballs-- as a drink.

Rum and black in the very late 60's. So sweet it took the taste of the rum away but we had to look cool didn't we? Then things deteriorated for a little while after that, tried everything!

We were drinking rum & black early/mid 60s.

Well Spellbinder, either you're loads older than I am, or I was a good girl!!!

~Chief Seattle
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Or you were a naughty girl!!

~Chief Seattle
Wise One
Wise One
I remember one teacher used to hit you with a plimsoll. I am convinced to this day that he got his jollies by doing it.

Personally I brought my children up properly and if any teacher had hit one of mine, they would have been hit right back by me and sod the consequences. Which ever way you look at it, it is violence and has no place in modern society.

I know it has been repeated many times but one only has to look at old school punishment logs to see that the same names kept cropping up thus proving it wasn't a deterent.

????

You are very slow. Already said whoops or words to that effect. Read the full thread please!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast

????

You are very slow. Already said whoops or words to that effect. Read the full thread please!

Sorry about that. But I have a (less than) perfect excuse. Through my own lack of attention to detail I managed to blow up the motherboard on my PC on Christmas Eve. My new PC was installed, set up & commissioned only yesterday. So when I called into this site some of the threads (like this one) were quite long and I didn't notice the follow-up to your faux pas.

I have mixed feelings about use of the cane in schools. Yes - it is barbaric but maybe it serves some purpose. I was caned only once - when I was 10 (or maybe just 11). I deserved it. But I told my parents I was a victim of a miscarriage of justice.

Wiki Master
Wiki Master
To answer the last part of Elizabeth's question about what today's children will think about how their life was in the 2000's.

S..t! is the answer.

My son has informed me today, that our generation are responsible for making life a misery for his generation.
We had parties on beaches
We could listen to pirate radio
We could smoke in pubs and other public places
We had raves (well some of us did maybe)
We could afford holidays
We could walk freely
We had no-hastle bank accounts
We weren't bothered by finance companies (earning their millions)

The list goes on. All our fault!
Although I think he is trying to get across that present younger generation are virtually house-trapped now, apart from going to the gym etc. Every way that we enjoyed ourselves has been clearly clamped down on, including the music we listen to being controlled by the BBC and others.
I do agree with him a bit. So maybe it was better then

Last edited by granny; 10th Jan 2012 8:28pm.

~Chief Seattle
Page 20 of 27 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 26 27

Moderated by  Mod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Random Wirral Images

Click to View Topic.
Newest Topics
Grange Road Co-Op
by Erainn - 6th May 2024 3:08pm
garage wanted
by robin47 - 3rd May 2024 5:53pm
Plastic sheds