Forums
Posted By: simonh vauxhalls ellesmere port?? - 31st Mar 2015 4:33pm
has anyone worked at vauxhalls and could tell me what its like there please. ive been offered work there with an agency. just wondered if its ongoing work or will they dump you after a week. dont want all the hassel of signing off then having to sign on again in a week or two
Posted By: stanb Re: vauxhalls ellesmere port?? - 31st Mar 2015 6:39pm
I was there for 40years.Depends on whether you get a rolling contract or not.Cant see it being for a week or two,not worth the hassle of training.Like any new job its hard till you get used to it but a good bunch of lads will see you alright.
Posted By: simonh Re: vauxhalls ellesmere port?? - 31st Mar 2015 7:00pm
thanks but its with an agency on 0 hour contract so could work one week then only do an hour a day the week after
Posted By: Fireblade Re: vauxhalls ellesmere port?? - 31st Mar 2015 9:11pm
Unlike stanb,i was there only 30 yrs,but some of the
agency lads where treated like shite,notfrom
the Vauxhall lads but from the agency,they where brought
in to count defective stock,so if there was a fault.
say on steering rack,they'd go through so many stillages
then get sent home,i've known agency lads brought in at
2 in the morning,so just be careful

Thats my 2p worth ;-)
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: vauxhalls ellesmere port?? - 31st Mar 2015 9:14pm
Join a Union!!
Posted By: Fireblade Re: vauxhalls ellesmere port?? - 31st Mar 2015 9:17pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Join a Union!!

Do they still exist?????????????
Posted By: s7uajones Re: vauxhalls ellesmere port?? - 1st Apr 2015 8:03am
The way I look at it is......
This is a way for you to get a foot in the door and maybe show them you could be an asset to there company.

Or you could sit at home and wonder WHAT IF

Only you can decide
Posted By: simonh Re: vauxhalls ellesmere port?? - 1st Apr 2015 9:00am
thanks guys
Posted By: dustymclean Re: vauxhalls ellesmere port?? - 1st Apr 2015 11:10am
The unions are the parasites, that sat back and watched their members full time jobs go sideways, to be paid less than the going rate. A tier of management paid for by the grafters, while they swan around in flip flops and bling. Fireblade and Stanb will know exactly what I mean.Give the money to charity and represent yourself.
Posted By: PhilH Re: vauxhalls ellesmere port?? - 1st Apr 2015 3:14pm
We are taking on a drip feed of agency workers in the paint unit as the factory gears up to produce the new model and they are all on full hours and being trained for various jobs. Cant speak for other parts of the plant but the training involved costs so I cant see that it would be that you are in one week and layed off the next if you are a good time keeper and doing what you are asked to. I haven't got a crystal ball to foresee the future and all workers there are hoping that the new car will be a seller with the paint unit back on to 3 production shifts toward the end of the year.
Posted By: PhilH Re: vauxhalls ellesmere port?? - 1st Apr 2015 3:28pm
Dusty.....the unions worked with the management to guarantee the plant stayed open and make us the most viable plant to be given the new model. Yes there were job casualties a few years back and a change in conditions for those who remained.Better to remain open with a future employing 1800 than the plant closing and the unions banging their drums saying hard luck to 2100 workers we gave it our best shot to save all your jobs. Its a very competitive industry and a plant in Germany is closing instead of Ellesmere Port because holding onto their existing conditions put them out of the running for this car.
Posted By: Fireblade Re: vauxhalls ellesmere port?? - 1st Apr 2015 3:32pm
Originally Posted by PhilH
We are taking on a drip feed of agency workers in the paint unit as the factory gears up to produce the new model and they are all on full hours and being trained for various jobs. Cant speak for other parts of the plant but the training involved costs so I cant see that it would be that you are in one week and layed off the next if you are a good time keeper and doing what you are asked to. I haven't got a crystal ball to foresee the future and all workers there are hoping that the new car will be a seller with the paint unit back on to 3 production shifts toward the end of the year.

As your saying "We are taking" so are you from the agency,
or Vauxhalls??????????????
Posted By: dustymclean Re: vauxhalls ellesmere port?? - 1st Apr 2015 4:17pm
Phil I had thirty three years in Vauxhall and for the best part enjoyed my stay and am ever grateful.I would not kid myself the plant survived because of the union, after all they did represent Luton. I have worked in "Luton and Russelsheim".I know and understand the bidding process used to drive down wages and conditions and set worker against worker.When the workforce is shrunk from twelve and a half thousand to two and a half thousand the only next option is closure of selective plants, and why not put the skids up them and claim back the gains made with others sweat and tears.I have the greatest respect for everybody who did a fair days work in what was my second home.
The factory cat
Posted By: Fireblade Re: vauxhalls ellesmere port?? - 1st Apr 2015 4:26pm
Dusty we could be brother's [factory cat]

Oh dont mention C shift for Gods sake lol ;-)
Posted By: dustymclean Re: vauxhalls ellesmere port?? - 1st Apr 2015 4:38pm
Lets all pretend we don't know each other, it works with my other half and I.The big question is,"what are they paying the agency guys"?
Posted By: PhilH Re: vauxhalls ellesmere port?? - 1st Apr 2015 4:58pm
I am not saying that the union saved the plant but everyones back was against the wall.The playing field isn't a fair one. I dont agree with agency work and would rather see proper employment contracts offered but unfortunatly this is the way the government have made the way of employment for lots of jobs in many different industries and companies. Simon has to use his judgement on the potential prospects of this job compared to probably other agency jobs he may be offered or minimum wage jobs because unfortunatly these are the vast majority of jobs that come up for grabs. Good luck Simon. I really do hope it all works out for you mate.
Posted By: PhilH Re: vauxhalls ellesmere port?? - 1st Apr 2015 5:02pm
Fireblade all I meant was that there are jobs in one shape or another at the Vauxhall plant. Mainly agency work unfortunatly.
Posted By: Fireblade Re: vauxhalls ellesmere port?? - 1st Apr 2015 8:41pm
Originally Posted by PhilH
Fireblade all I meant was that there are jobs in one shape or another at the Vauxhall plant. Mainly agency work unfortunatly.

I know mate,and all i meant was,d'you work there,or work for the agency,,,

Dusty,what d'you mean pretend,I dont know you,bet you this though,
the agency lads wont be getting the same as the Vauxhall fellas ;-)
Posted By: s7uajones Re: vauxhalls ellesmere port?? - 1st Apr 2015 9:15pm
What have you decided to do simonh
Are you taking the job

If so

Good luck
Posted By: PhilH Re: vauxhalls ellesmere port?? - 2nd Apr 2015 8:45pm
Fireblade, I am a Vauxhall worker and I know a lot of agency workers who where treated as lesser beings some 16 years back who are still working there now on a full vauxhall contract.I also know some of those agency workers didn't warrant being taken on a permanent contract as well as a few who missed out who did deserve one.
I knew and know of some old hands who have been there for a lifetime who think they are owed a living who add to this two tier attitude. The job situation for those looking for work sucks and I hope this changes but I wont be a worker who shuns an agency worker who is grabbing an opportunity and I hope that those who take their chances end up winners with eventual permanent contracts,Good luck to all those who take their chances.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: vauxhalls ellesmere port?? - 2nd Apr 2015 8:57pm
Same 'snobbery' in Cadburys or whatever it is called these days.

Permanant staff ridiculing the Temps....makes me fume.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral