Forums
Posted By: Candlyfloss voluntary work at wirralminds - 4th Feb 2013 3:44pm

CURRENT VOLUNTEER VACANCIES

Volunteer Advocate for Learning Disabilities

Working in a friendly environment alongside the Advocacy Officer for Learning Disabilities. Training provided – first training session to be held on 26th January 2012.

Advocacy is ensuring that the client knows what services are available to them, enabling them to make choices and to have their rights met. The advocate does this by supporting the client to speak up for themselves or indicate their views for them. They enable people to live their lives as they choose.

Depending on the client or the situation, the Advocate has a number of different types of job to do. The Advocate’s main role is to try and empower the client to do things or speak up for themselves and let them know they are there to support them and to put the client’s views forward for them.

The Advocate is there to protect the rights of the individual. To support in choice and decision making, to provide personal support at hearings, appeals and tribunals. They can attend meetings with people to makes sure they are listened to and to help them understand what is happening.

The Advocate can help with letter writing and with important telephone calls.

Monday-Friday. Hours to be arranged.

Skill/Qualifications required:

Life experience.

Volunteer General Administrator

Tasks:

Working in a friendly environment and providing administration and office support, meeting and greeting clients and guests.

Answering the telephone, taking messages and passing on information to the relevant members of staff.
Keeping paper filing systems up-to-date, recording and filing of information, electronically and manually.
Photocopying.
Ensuring stationery supply levels are maintained.
Word process letters and reports, input figures into financial and statistical spreadsheets, updating database.
Distribute post and display promotional material.
Accessing and responding to emails as directed.

Hours to be arranged.

MUST be competent in Word Processing, Excel (spreadsheets) Access (databases), Powerpoint, using Outlook Express for emails, and internet.

Good organisational skills required and ability to prioritise workload.

Good telephone manner and good rapport with staff and service users.

Flexible.

Volunteer Receptionist

Tasks:

Telephone and Reception

• Answer general queries about the work of the Project
• Giving information about courses
• Taking and recording messages for members of staff

Social Aspects

• Meeting and greeting visiting trainers
• Getting to know Fountain Club Members, to increase accessibility to courses

Hours

Monday-Friday 9:00am-5:00pm, To Be Arranged

Volunteer Training and Facilities Support

Tasks:

Social Aspects

Getting to know the Fountain Club Members, to increase accessibility to courses.

Conferences and Training Courses

Setting up rooms in different configurations for training courses
Collecting, washing and replenishing cups after breaks
Assisting with refreshments for training courses

General Tasks

Helping out in the kitchen with light duties

Hours:

Wednesday, 9:00am-5:00pm

Befriender

Aims

The aim of the Befriending Service is to provide one-to-one contact to an individual who has little or no access to their own social network. This can lead to an individual becoming lonely and isolated, and, in some cases, suffering a relapse of their health. A volunteer Befriender enables the individual to build confidence and start increasing their own social network.

Tasks:

• To establish and build a befriending relationship with the client. To keep regular contact with the client and to provide support that may be required to enable the client to live a more independent and resourceful life
• To spend time and share activities with the client
• To improve the quality of life by building or extending a supportive environment

Hours

Minimum of 1 hour per week, to be arranged with Befriendee.
Please note that this service operates on an open-ended basis

FOLLOW THE LINK BELOW FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THE BEFRIENDING SERVICE

http://www.wirralmind.org.uk/about/befriending/

If you are interested in applying ,Want some information,or just a chat about any of our volunteer positions,Please contact Steve Le-Gry on 01516785111 ext 3621

Posted By: jaki1 Re: voluntary work at wirralminds - 4th Feb 2013 3:47pm
This is for last year.
The date stated is 26th January 2012.
Posted By: Candlyfloss Re: voluntary work at wirralminds - 4th Feb 2013 3:52pm
So sorry ,i will update it later when i get home.
Posted By: jaki1 Re: voluntary work at wirralminds - 4th Feb 2013 3:54pm
Cheers, I might be interested in this.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: voluntary work at wirralminds - 5th Feb 2013 3:07pm
It saddens me that these are volunteer posts not salaried ones.

How many hours are being asked for?

There is a fair amount of responsibility in one-to-one situations and I doubt the validity of this type ofwork being given to a volunteer.

I trust there is also some sort of screening process and confidentiality agreement.
Posted By: NettyMc Re: voluntary work at wirralminds - 6th Feb 2013 12:31am
Have to agree with Moonstar on this.
In a household where we once had three wages coming in and now we have just one wage coming in.
We still have a Mortgage, Insurance and Bills to pay,like many others who have lost their jobs, we have had to sacrifice an awful lot.
I was made redundant two years ago and I am still searching for any type of work.
I still cannot find a full or part time job, however I have been offered a dozen or more voluntary jobs, which I cannot take because I simply cannot afford the fares to get to them.
I get no benefits or allowances. And do not have any financial independence.
Unless you are wealthy enough or have comfortable financial security to able to take Voluntary work on, then good luck to you. Most of us need some form of paid work to keep a roof over ours and our families heads.
While I appreciate the need for voluntary workers and I do. People just cannot afford to work for free.
Posted By: catlover Re: voluntary work at wirralminds - 6th Feb 2013 9:01am
surely these "jobs" must also need criminal clearance..this has not been mentioned
Posted By: Candlyfloss Re: voluntary work at wirralminds - 6th Feb 2013 5:49pm
Its my mate who has gave me the old vacancies haha.waiting on her to get back to me.
I would think a CRB would have to done.

I will get back to you all hopefully soon.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral