Forums
Posted By: leylo Help and advice needed - 21st Oct 2012 8:42am
Can any please help with my 19 yr old son. He left school with 5 gcse,s , stayed on to do an advanced diploma in ict with he got a d. But because this is classed as being educated to a level 3 he can't do an apprenticeship in ict as the government won't fund it. He is being penalised for staying on in school to further educate himself and now won't get into the chosen job field that he wants unless he goes to uni which isn't an option. Any advice of were he could go from here would be appreciated x
Posted By: Wiggi77 Re: Help and advice needed - 21st Oct 2012 9:03am
Contact connexions in birkenhead. They will be able to advise on things or may be able to help him sort out the funding. Also write a letter to whoever it is running a modern apprenticeship funding because on an individual basis he can't continue to uni because of not enough points.
Hope this helps, if you need more info get back to me
Posted By: leylo Re: Help and advice needed - 21st Oct 2012 9:16am
Thanks wiggi77 will give that a go.
Posted By: colin86 Re: Help and advice needed - 21st Oct 2012 9:34am
I find this an absolute joke leylo, kids with ambition like your son should be the one's benefiting from the funding system, however the majority of the time its giving to dead beats who never finish there course.

as wiggi said connexions is a sound place to go for advice etc, however why dont you look at the prices trust regarding funding, there excellent and very helpful .

Posted By: turnip Re: Help and advice needed - 21st Oct 2012 2:10pm
Have you looked at HND's. I hadn't ever heard about them until I failed my a levels and couldn't get into uni. Wirral met had a business one, which I did and now I'm in uni. It's equivalent to level 5 which is the second year of uni, is about half the price and you are entitled to student finance to pay the costs which, if you have a low household income, he would get a large chunk as a grant.

I think my student finance pays direct to the ni their costs then to me around 1500 every 3 or 4 months of which about 1000 of each one is a grant.
Posted By: OutlawBlues Re: Help and advice needed - 1st Nov 2012 11:55am
Yeh I had a friend who did a HND in fine art and then topped it up woth a final year in uni to gain a degree. She did it with Liverpool community college and the course had a strog link with Liverpool Hope so gaining a place to do the third year wasn't a problem. She didnt have a problem with fees or anything it was through the usuall student finance loans
© Wirral-Wikiwirral