Forums
Posted By: FayePlayer Asda job application - 4th Sep 2012 4:16pm
I am very annoyed with asda application process for their job as a grocery assistant which was posted yesterday. I have applied for a second time in the last year as i couldnt apply again for 6 months, completing the whole process and again have not been accepted for next stage. I am completing the assessments to the best of my ability and honestly as can be. To me it seems they want blood and they are obviously very picky for someone who can work a till or stack a bloody shelf. I want to work and enjoyed working in supermarkets but can't seem to get one due to this stupid online applications and not like they used to accept paper applications. I'm sick to death of applying for job after job after job and on benefits, i need something to go around college hopefully starting in september and i feel no-one will give me a chance. Anyone else having problems with this type of application? any suggestions what i can do next, thanks in advance faye
Posted By: jpharrison Re: Asda job application - 4th Sep 2012 4:46pm
your so much better having a cv and finding jobs on gumtree, thats how i did it and its alot better than any other ways
Posted By: Salmon Re: Asda job application - 4th Sep 2012 4:51pm
It is a great shame that you can't get on with the postal application.
I take it that you follow all the rules of the internet, e.g.
Capital letters only when essential
Correct punctuation
Only one method of accentuating what you mean,i.e. not italics and bold or underline etc.

I take it that you have read all the blurb on the application site.They certainly make it hard to apply,nothing easy about it.Do you have somebody who could run through your application from before sending it off?
Posted By: j_demo Re: Asda job application - 4th Sep 2012 5:08pm
i did that online thing and got rejected too, the thing is, i'm currently a medical secretary, surely there's no way they'd turn me down for stacking shelves???

them online things are stupid.
Posted By: Salmon Re: Asda job application - 4th Sep 2012 5:11pm
They may have considered you as over qualified.
Posted By: ludwigvan Re: Asda job application - 4th Sep 2012 5:11pm
Originally Posted by jawide
i did that online thing and got rejected too, the thing is, i'm currently a medical secretary, surely there's no way they'd turn me down for stacking shelves???

No disrespect intended,but what's so special about being a medical secretary?
Posted By: j_demo Re: Asda job application - 4th Sep 2012 5:56pm
Originally Posted by ludwigvan
Originally Posted by jawide

No disrespect intended,but what's so special about being a medical secretary?

nothing, i just meant it as in i'm already in a job, a fairly decent one and one that requires quite a few skills & qualifications (there's a lot more to it than just typing letters...) and for their quiz thing to reject me obviously means there's either something wrong with it or that i'm not qualified enough to do their job.
Posted By: boogaloo Re: Asda job application - 4th Sep 2012 6:12pm
Hi. Ive completed one them for asda and got through. Maybe its because as youve said you have worked in other supermarkets. Asda are very strict when it comes to there competitors xx i doubt its anything to do with you and its definatly not about being over qualified xx
Posted By: WLH27 Re: Asda job application - 4th Sep 2012 7:30pm
Ive been rejected from asda too and was told that asda do not employ people whom have worked for another big supermarket chain... I used to work for tesco so just assumed that was why i was rejected....
Posted By: EvilCycle Re: Asda job application - 4th Sep 2012 10:10pm
Yeah, they don't like taking people into "the asda family" if they have been part of a rival clan! Asda are not the great employer they used to be before the wal mart days anyway, they employ loads of part time staff to get nice recruitment stats and annual bonuses, but they don't look after the ones who are already there as that is not financially viable. To be honest, I would just forget about asda and look elsewhere. I hear tesco get better pay and more consistent hours with better working conditions.

-inside sources.
Posted By: jenscho Re: Asda job application - 4th Sep 2012 10:28pm
Someone told me that on the asda application form you have to be extremely thorough, for example in the hobbies section you may write 'I enjoy cycling' whereas Asda are looking for you to write 'I enjoy cycling, I cycle every saturday and sunday and I am part of a cycling club', that sort of thing. Also, if you are not seen to be flexible with the hours that you say you can do then that is a no no too. I have failed the asda 'personality tests' as I call them several times, gave up in the end!
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Asda job application - 5th Sep 2012 12:27am
Both my kids applied to Asda and failed too. What gets me is when you see the people who end up getting employed by them you wonder how on earth they passed the online application in the first place. Some of them I've been served by can barely string a sentence together, let alone have a pleasant demeanour.
Sadly I believe nowadays it's becoming a case of who you know not what you know frown
Posted By: FayePlayer Re: Asda job application - 5th Sep 2012 10:24am
I totally agree with all of you, and thank you. It makes me happy that i'm not the only person out there having problems with these jobs. I will try other chains, and believe that it is wrong that asda will not employ people with previous experience of retail or are picky with their individual choices. I have met many staff at the checkouts who are not able to carry out tasks and ask stupid questions i.e with bags when you have trolly load of shopping. I agree with lee evans when he says 'no, i'm gonna carry it all to the car park'. I had a episode of this in asda in arrowe park, she gave me a sandwich bag for a french stick and small load of shopping, I said to her no I want a couple of bags (normal ones). Never used to have this problem with bags and other stuff, it's prepostorous and a waste of our time. Rant over.....
Posted By: chriskay Re: Asda job application - 5th Sep 2012 3:59pm
I'm not looking for a job, but if I were, I wouldn't want to work for Asda; I've seen how WalMart treat their employees in the U.S.A. and I don't imagine it's any better here.
Posted By: Salmon Re: Asda job application - 5th Sep 2012 4:18pm
All shops are under pressure to cut the use of plastic bags so they are all meant to ask if you need the bags.In Wales there is a 5p charge for every bag.I believe Marks & Spencer do the same, the idea is to encourage use of the bag for life.
Posted By: sunnyside Re: Asda job application - 5th Sep 2012 4:24pm
all shops in wales charge 5p for bag even takeaways, both something in a clothes shop, they ask if you want a bag for 5p ,if you say no, they just hand you the purchase, been like that since 0ct 2011
Posted By: homebird Re: Asda job application - 5th Sep 2012 6:02pm
ReachOut in Birkenhead are a fantastic support service for anyone who is unemployed and would like help back into employment. They can help with applications, interview skills and anything that you feel would give you a better chance to gain employment.

With regards to Asda, they look for the 'Team approach', so the questions were they ask about how important it is to support your fellow colleagues - the answer they want is that it is a priority. They love personality and the personal qualities are far more important than any experience!

I think you may have put too much pressure on yourself and over read the questions, but if you look to apply again, or if anyone is going to apply to Asda, think Team work!

Good luck!! ;-)
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Asda job application - 5th Sep 2012 6:15pm
i filled in the on line application for my son because he couldnt be bothered, he has been working for them for a year now and he loves it.
Posted By: Touchstone Re: Asda job application - 5th Sep 2012 6:54pm
Originally Posted by chriskay
I'm not looking for a job, but if I were, I wouldn't want to work for Asda; I've seen how WalMart treat their employees in the U.S.A. and I don't imagine it's any better here.

Very true. Walmart's attitude to its workers leaves a lot to be desired. It treats its employees with little respect and preys on their lack of knowledge of employment law.
Posted By: FayePlayer Re: Asda job application - 5th Sep 2012 10:44pm
I'm not that lazy i can do an application form myself i am afterall 25, i would love to work on checkouts as it's a job i enjoy. was just saying the difficulties i have with getting this job. i thought with having been in a retail environment before would give me an advantage, like many people who have commented
Posted By: Jobneeded67 Re: Asda job application - 6th Sep 2012 10:00am
FayePlayer, I can certainly share great empathy with you here. I too have applied to ASDA a few times and been rejected by that accursed online personality test. I have similar bad luck with other retail companies. And there is a certain top retailer in Liverpool whom I have no given up all hope of EVER getting a job with, after they have rejected me for the FIFTH time for the most ridiculous reasons!

If the were not so many people chasing each job, these companies could not afford to be so choosey and would be glad of any staff they could possibly get.

The unemployment situation in this country stinks now.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Asda job application - 6th Sep 2012 10:19pm
@Jobneeded67 there's obviously something in your personality as expressed on the on-line tests which makes you unacceptable to employers. You need to figure out what it is.
Posted By: OutlawBlues Re: Asda job application - 8th Sep 2012 10:59am
I managed to get through the online application twice, I'm not sure what it was I did to get through, but I've had a lot of difficulty with boots and bodyshop online applications, I remember I got through the first part of the online application once for boots and when I applied a second time I wrote the exact same things and failed to get through, I think it depends on how desparate they are, I applied to primark a few times and it was only when I told a little white lie about the experience I had that I got through, (and they where crying out for staff for christmas) primark want you to have experience in other stores but all you do is fold jumpers and they where really suprised at how well I worked so it makes me wonder the standard of staff they usually have! The group interview at asda is nasty if you get that far, it was so unexpected the first time I had no idea but the second time I knew what to expect and was more enjoyable, again its all about team work, being able to show communication, inclusion of both yourself and other team members and organisation
Posted By: SUExx Re: Asda job application - 8th Sep 2012 11:13am
@Jobneeded67 there's obviously something in your personality as expressed on the on-line tests which makes you unacceptable to employers. You need to figure out what it is.

So outlawblues, what your saying is its a look of the draw.
So comments like above are not very nice then.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Asda job application - 8th Sep 2012 3:57pm
Jobneeded67 has been failing on-line applications for what seems like for ever. I call it as I see it.

Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Asda job application - 8th Sep 2012 4:22pm
With on-line tests you need to figure out what they want to hear and then that is what you put down for your answer. Used to do it on the Civil Service tests to avoid having to go on Diversity Courses and whatever, if I'd put down what I really thought I would have been up before the beak.
Posted By: SUExx Re: Asda job application - 8th Sep 2012 5:21pm
Originally Posted by OutlawBlues
I remember I got through the first part of the online application once for boots and when I applied a second time I wrote the exact same things and failed to get through.

So again its the luck of the draw, jobneeded your time will come im sure.
Posted By: NoseyBasket Re: Asda job application - 8th Sep 2012 7:45pm
for C,V advice and help call craig on 07938979718
Posted By: chriskay Re: Asda job application - 8th Sep 2012 7:59pm
Originally Posted by NoseyBasket

Does that include advice on where to use upper case letters and where commas are/are not required?
Posted By: Nigel Re: Asda job application - 10th Sep 2012 9:06am
Originally Posted by NoseyBasket

Does that include advice on where to use upper case letters and where commas are/are not required?

I would assume Asda require someone with a basic knowledge of the English lanuuage.
Posted By: OutlawBlues Re: Asda job application - 11th Sep 2012 8:09pm
Not quite like that but in some cases they are more picky I think and in others they are more relaxed like with christmas applicants, they need to take on so much more staff and have more positions avaliable than when they advertise a one off position. And I dont think that comment was rude (or it doesnt have to be) Its a point that you need to write/click what they want not what you want, not that there is somthing wrong with Jobneeded67's personaility but that you do need to alter somthing to comply with what they want, I found with primark they were rly straight forward and it was easy to find the right answer, but some seem to try and catch you out
© Wirral-Wikiwirral