Forums
Posted By: Nomad Starting new job- Help from DHSS?? - 10th Nov 2011 3:26pm
Got a possible job starting very soon down south.

Since I am not a profesional dolee, I would like to enquire if there is any thing I could claim?

Such as travelling expenses, just checked the price of a coach ticket £40!

I know that you can apply for a crisis loan but I basically want something that I do not have to pay back

Nomad
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: Starting new job- Help from DHSS?? - 10th Nov 2011 5:29pm
u would have to pay it back. No free cash from dss.
Posted By: SilentReader Re: Starting new job- Help from DHSS?? - 10th Nov 2011 5:43pm
Well there are things like the return to work credit which they give £40per week for 12months and there is another one you can claim for which a job grant £100 for single person and £250 for single parent helping get back to work, you can check the www.direct.gov.uk site or ask at your local JC
Posted By: Nomad Re: Starting new job- Help from DHSS?? - 10th Nov 2011 6:39pm
Thanks, will look into that now.

I seem to remember that if you had to go for an interview over twenty five miles away then they would pay for that.

Should get a call about job tomorrow morning, then start monday.

Just trying to scrape money together, its hell living on pot noodles and mars bars till first pay day

Nomad
Posted By: TheDr Re: Starting new job- Help from DHSS?? - 10th Nov 2011 6:45pm
The interview payment has now ended except for certain circumstances.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/Jobseekers/programmesandservices/DG_173631

If you go in and ask nicely they can sometimes help, and other times you feel like your time would be better spent yodelling. smile
Posted By: Nomad Re: Starting new job- Help from DHSS?? - 10th Nov 2011 6:52pm
The job centre has been split into two sections in the way that it works,
You have the office where you sign on . but for all the money matters you have to discuss it over the phone ( must of had too many threats)

Looked at the credits and grants but not been on the dole long enough. still I shall ask tomorrow

Nomad
Posted By: Nomad Re: Starting new job- Help from DHSS?? - 18th Nov 2011 10:58pm
When I was last in job centre i asked about help etc.

They will pay for travel expenses for travel to a job interview only

Now I do believe it has to be a minimum of 25 miles away - might of changed by now

Nomad
Posted By: reddragon Re: Starting new job- Help from DHSS?? - 18th Nov 2011 11:36pm
you gonna have to wait till monday now Nomad congrats on poss job offer
Posted By: Nomad Re: Starting new job- Help from DHSS?? - 18th Nov 2011 11:59pm
Actually got offered job, but they only offered me four days work till this sunday, turned them down
© Wirral-Wikiwirral