Forums
Posted By: Gibbo IT Technician Vacancy - Ellesmere Port - 4th Oct 2011 8:52am
Ellesmere Port Catholic High are looking for an ICT Technician.

Grade 4 (£15,444 – £16,830)
Full-time, 37hrs p/w
Temporary for 12 months initially

More details:

http://www.epchs.co.uk/?p=500
Posted By: AlexB Re: IT Technician Vacancy - Ellesmere Port - 4th Oct 2011 10:46am
Is that seriously a normal wage for a skilled IT technician?

About £1,100 a month after tax if you have absolutely no other deductions.

Take off rent, council tax and bills I imagine you've not got much left.

God help you if you have kids etc.

Presumably ICT technician isn't a job you can just walk into, you need to have studied etc?

Posted By: polo_phil Re: IT Technician Vacancy - Ellesmere Port - 4th Oct 2011 10:51am
That seems pretty consistent for an IT technician in education in the north west...
I agree it isn't much... better than no job I suppose though...
Posted By: ex0__ Re: IT Technician Vacancy - Ellesmere Port - 4th Oct 2011 11:38am
Originally Posted by AlexB

Presumably ICT technician isn't a job you can just walk into, you need to have studied etc?

Depends on if you're being interviewed by someone that knows anything about IT or a HR drone. IT is one of those fields where your skills are more important than your paper, which is how it should be.
Posted By: AlexB Re: IT Technician Vacancy - Ellesmere Port - 4th Oct 2011 12:18pm
Yeah, that makes sense.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: IT Technician Vacancy - Ellesmere Port - 4th Oct 2011 12:56pm
Originally Posted by AlexB
Is that seriously a normal wage for a skilled IT technician?

Sadly, in the public sector yes. While the unions and government bend over backwards to standardise pay for teachers, support staff have to fight for what they can and it can vary from school to school, as can the title and responsibilities.

Its actually not a bad wage for the job, I know of some schools that would offer about £14,000 tops.

And qualifications aren't everything, its what you know that's more important.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: IT Technician Vacancy - Ellesmere Port - 4th Oct 2011 3:40pm
There are IT techinicians and then there are IT Technicians. The ones I used to come across just changed bits of kit around and knew where to put the cables and get the progs running. They didn't actually fix anything, that was workshops.
Posted By: Snorlax Re: IT Technician Vacancy - Ellesmere Port - 4th Oct 2011 5:44pm
The good ones usually use the school job as a stepping stone to something better, which the ones I've known have well deservededly done. Pity the schools lose out cos the pay is crap.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral