Forums
Posted By: Vanmanone Your worst Job - 27th Sep 2011 8:17pm
Mine is a Petrol pump attendant,Quarry rd service station Heswall in 1985 its gone now,Duties included fuel tyres oil&water providing there wasn't a Que and when you did get 5 mins to make a coffee someone would always call in for the usual full service`some where Polite and some expected it as part of the service we provided

The lads and me sometimes forgot to pop the spare wheel back in boot which ended up getting rolled over the back wall into the Quarry,In the short time I was there I had to dress up like Father Christmas`we all had too so wasn't so bad`there was some piss taking going ongrin Witness to an armed robbery and loads a bollockings however I did meet Paul McCartney his brother Mike McGee and a few footy players Previously before leaving school although not at the same time managed two paper rounds two milk rounds also worked part time in a Butchers shop all in a couple of years` are starting to see a pattern? I get board easily get fed up and start making mistakes`Variety is the spice of life ... and still is today wink smile blush
Posted By: GrandMasterFlash Re: Your worst Job - 27th Sep 2011 8:46pm
My worst job is easily sales assistant in the Birkenhead Sports Direct, for obvious reasons! My second day there and first time using a till, they left me on my own at the tills with a massive queue and people having a go at me to call other assistants over to help, which I did! You could only contact them with walkie talkies and none of them worked, everyone hung round the shop so you had to shout and wave your arms like an idiot to get their attention for some help.

One guy had a go at me cos I didn't know exactly where the swimming stuff was on my first day there, even though I did point him to the right area. One guy came over with a pair of flip flops with no barcode and no one else was on the tills or near me so I couldn't look for it myself and couldn't ask someone else to do it for me. I shouted and waved and even tried the walkie talkie and while we were waiting some other guy pushed in front of flip flop guy, ripped open a pack of socks and tried them on right there at the till saying if he didn't like them he wouldn't be buying them! Finally someone came over and took care of flip flop guy, then I accidentally scanned the guys socks twice cos one of the multi pack was now a single pack so he had a go at me. No one said thanks, no one ever smiled, one gross guy called me babe, some kid was kicking the footballs around the shop asking me what team I support, someone shouted at me because I almost went for a Manchester instead of a Liverpool water bottle thing, okay not good but I'm a girl and I just know it's red tease

We had to phone them on a Sunday night to find out our shifts for the next week if we weren't in on the Sunday to look on the board thing. I spent £5 credit trying to phone them because they wouldn't answer their phone and would tell you off if you text them instead. On the board one day it said my shift was 9 till 1 or whatever, got there at 8.45 for them to tell me they'd changed my shift for 1pm-6 without telling me :'( I'd been up since half 6 to get ready and everything cos I was in Liverpool at the time and had to go spend the day at Mum's till my shift.

Bahhh that turned into a massive rant raftl But yeah, definitely my worst job! Only stayed there just over a month cos they said they'd fire me when I couldn't come in, lost my bank card in London and had no money to get to Birkenhead, and they wouldn't answer their phones so I couldn't tell them! They sent me a letter saying I can come back or be fired so I just said I'd rather not come back raftl Such a quitter, haha.
Posted By: ickymicky Re: Your worst Job - 27th Sep 2011 8:49pm
I would have to say mine was working on the tills in Asda over Christmas and New year (2001), back then it was all about how quickly you could get the shopping through the till, mine was always in the red zone (I blame slow packing customers and last minute "oh I forgot the cheese, I'll just pop back for it now"). It was cold and (almost) minimum wage, they expected me to start working on my 18th Birthday, just assuming I hadn't already made plans. In order to get the job I had to do all sorts of questionnaires, interviews and team building activities - waste of time, I wasn't even there 2 months!!!
Posted By: madrob Re: Your worst Job - 27th Sep 2011 8:51pm
haha laugh
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Your worst Job - 27th Sep 2011 8:59pm
GMF. My sister was at Sports Direct and my God, i've heard horror stories on a weekly basis. Thankfully, she works elsewhere now.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Your worst Job - 27th Sep 2011 9:00pm
Definately Marshalls chicken factory in Wrexham when I was a teen, just the thought of that place puts a chill down my spine.
Posted By: GrandMasterFlash Re: Your worst Job - 27th Sep 2011 9:02pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
GMF. My sister was at Sports Direct and my God, i've heard horror stories on a weekly basis. Thankfully, she works elsewhere now.

I know yeah! I had an interview at La Senza and the interviewer was shocked when I told her some of the things tease Apparently they have a lot of people leaving all the time though, they're always having recruitment days at the birkenhead one!
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Your worst Job - 27th Sep 2011 9:07pm
Originally Posted by GrandMasterFlash

They sent me a letter saying I can come back or be fired so I just said I'd rather not come back raftl Such a quitter, haha.

Quitter not .. you will learn to push them alot further than thatgrin its amazing how far they bend when you stand up to them smile
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Your worst Job - 27th Sep 2011 9:11pm
Originally Posted by Sanchez
Definately Marshalls chicken factory in Wrexham when I was a teen, just the thought of that place puts a chill down my spine.
Everyone in Eastham done some time there eek laugh
Posted By: GrandMasterFlash Re: Your worst Job - 27th Sep 2011 9:15pm
Originally Posted by Vanmanone
Quitter not .. you will learn to push them alot further than thatgrin its amazing how far they bend when you stand up to them smile

They boss was from Birkenhead too, I probably would've been beaten up if I'd stood up to them tease
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Your worst Job - 27th Sep 2011 9:27pm
All my jobs have been spot on apart from a milk round when I was 15, having to get up at 5am every morning and then going to school tierd me and I can still remember the disgusting smell of the milk wagon, it was vile.
Remembering the orders was such a daunting task as people had "special instructions" on how and where to place the dairy products.
But, plod on I did for about 6 months until I finally had enough and packed it in.
Milkmen, I salute you, I don't think people appreciate just how hard you all work happy
Posted By: Pepper_Head Re: Your worst Job - 27th Sep 2011 9:33pm
My worst job ever has to be at Smiths crisps in Portsmouth. Had to pick out the black crisps on a conveyor belt.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Your worst Job - 27th Sep 2011 9:42pm

You make it sound like jail, which is what it was!
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Your worst Job - 27th Sep 2011 9:52pm

You make it sound like jail, which is what it was!

No not jail .. they get treated much better am sure grin
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Your worst Job - 27th Sep 2011 10:00pm
CBI papermill Ellesmere Port always come out with a stinking Cold after just a week there doing concrete repares you just had to walk through the factory in some parts very hot&damp and you come outside with your clothes wet sick
Posted By: cathie Re: Your worst Job - 27th Sep 2011 10:23pm
School cook at Solar Campus 4 1/2 years ago...had to put up with the kids spitting at you and calling you all sorts of names and as it's a school all I could do was report them to the head, I was forced to leave after my ex said if I didn't he was gonna wait outside for this one joyful lad who was making my life a misery!!!
Posted By: AlexB Re: Your worst Job - 27th Sep 2011 10:29pm
My worst job? I once had a personal assistant who made the worst coffee ever. I now have one who makes great coffee so all is good.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Your worst Job - 27th Sep 2011 10:49pm
Had a few poo jobs. I think the worst one was weighing and tinning air gun pellets at some dodgy little 'Unit' in Moreton.
No H + S laws, or, indeed any other Employment Laws were recognised!
But hey, i was 15 and felt 'rich' earning my £1.30p per hour, over a 48hour week.
Never did get the full wages due, to me.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Your worst Job - 27th Sep 2011 10:59pm
Then there was the job, as a school leaver,making 'sugar dummies'.
I passed the 'interview' and was invited to attend a 'training day' on the Saturday,to start work on Monday.
I had told the interviewer that i could not start work 'til the Tuesday as I had GCSE exams Monday.
Did my 'training' unpaid and was then sacked for not being available for Monday. Lol.
Posted By: AR_One Re: Your worst Job - 27th Sep 2011 11:28pm
First two jobs after uni were pretty shite:

Shifts at a potato packing plant - I had to catch the bags of spuds that came off the end of the line and pack 10 to a sack when the sack was full tape it up but the bags would just keep coming! I only found out that I'd got it 2 mins before the shift started and there was nowhere to buy my dinner there and the fat b*stard who gave me a lift wouldn't share his dinner with me - I lasted two days!

Burger King wasn't great either - I wasn't allowed to meet the customers so just had to load the frozen burgers onto the conveyor belt to cook them. I got told to chuck some junkies out of the toilets too which was quite terrifying!
Posted By: 2005wireman Re: Your worst Job - 28th Sep 2011 7:52am
My worse job has to be working for Asda woodchurch.I Was a cleaner there and my work mate where ok. The boss of the cleaners was a Bitch she try to grind me down.But with me being older and using my brain I Alway manged to get one over her.She does not work there anymore.Cause me and my fiancee sorted that out.Its Nice To Have Friend and Contacts In Head Office To Sort The Problem Out For Me...
Posted By: LilJen Re: Your worst Job - 28th Sep 2011 7:55am
my worst job is this one cos i work with a muppet lol whose prob worse than me at gobbin off
Posted By: sean Re: Your worst Job - 28th Sep 2011 7:57am
worst place i've worked is lairds, it's dangerous and full of pricks
Posted By: Littlebear Re: Your worst Job - 28th Sep 2011 8:20am
Worked for MBNA in Chester. I managed to credit random people's accounts with thousands of pounds. Overall, the place is a nightmare to work, unless you have the correct back stabbing mindset.

Worked for Park Online in Birkenhead (where the Cheshire line building is), selling tights to old customers - when I say old, we used to cold call 80+ year old women who subscribed to receive tights in the 1950's. Most were deceased, some were senile and I got threatened by spouses or their children asking what the hell I was trying to do. The extents these parasites go to to try and generate a few extra quid. I lasted three days there, it was awful.

I feel sorry for people who have no option to do these types of jobs. frown
Posted By: mike23 Re: Your worst Job - 28th Sep 2011 8:52am
I got offered a job at sports direct once, walked into the office on what was supposed to be my first day, and immediately decided that it wasn't for me and quit without even being given my uniform, dodged a bullet by the sounds of it.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Your worst Job - 28th Sep 2011 9:03am
Lol@Mike

I got offered a job at park hampers once, upon going for the interview i immediately knew the job wasn`t for me when i saw the no-marks in a long line waiting outside to be interviewed dressed in tracksuits, socks over pants, trainers etc.
I was the dumbass that went in a suit and buggered off within 10 minutes raftl
Posted By: Pepper_Head Re: Your worst Job - 28th Sep 2011 9:22am
I had an interview for Park Hampers years ago, 1st job interview ive ever been to where i didnt want the job & had to think of interview techniques to put them off me, i didnt get the job lol.
Posted By: AR_One Re: Your worst Job - 28th Sep 2011 9:24am
Similarly I went for an interview for a "Business Manager's" role that I got an interview suspiciously easily and quickly realised it was actually selling Kirkby cleaners door to door so I went for a cigarette between the two halves of the interview and never went back.
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Your worst Job - 28th Sep 2011 9:25am
Originally Posted by _Ste_
Lol@Mike

I got offered a job at park hampers once, upon going for the interview i immediately knew the job wasn`t for me when i saw the no-marks in a long line waiting outside to be interviewed dressed in tracksuits, socks over pants, trainers etc.

They had to save there suit for court the next day wink

My worst job is also my best job...
Posted By: Lord_of_the_M53 Re: Your worst Job - 28th Sep 2011 12:06pm
Originally Posted by Pepper_Head
My worst job ever has to be at Smiths crisps in Portsmouth. Had to pick out the black crisps on a conveyor belt.

cant you do anything without moaning?
Posted By: Clive Re: Your worst Job - 28th Sep 2011 12:13pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_
Lol@Mike

raftl laffin
Posted By: cathie Re: Your worst Job - 28th Sep 2011 2:45pm
After leaving Solar Campus (see earlier post) I walked into a job on the lines at Park Hampers (anything to pay the rent) offered myself up to any office positions, go taken on as a temp in the Print Dept.....long story short now the manager been here 4 years and love it yomama
Posted By: Snickas Re: Your worst Job - 28th Sep 2011 3:42pm
ugghhh i did the fruit and veg weekend at Park Hampers once (it was close to christmas and I wanted the money to buy my son a megazord [Linked Image] ) god it was awful.

it was years ago though.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Your worst Job - 28th Sep 2011 7:09pm
I too went to park hampers, didnt feel I fitted in with the tracksuit crew so left after what I thought to be a ground breaking hour!
Posted By: yewgarth Re: Your worst Job - 28th Sep 2011 7:50pm
I was a sheet metal worker and used to work all over the country. One of the jobs was at wiggins teape in aberdeen. It must have been the coldest months of the century and we were working on the roof of this building. I had thick ice in my beard and could hardly feel my fingers due to the cold. Tea would freeze in the cups and you'd stick to the metal ducting..
Another place was in W.l.ers Crisps in Leicester. The natives were seriously revolting. They'd have communal toilets with a big circular type of sink in the middle of the room with a fountain in it. I saw an Indian woman come out of the toilet and head to the sink to what i thought was wash her hands. she covered her right nostril with a finger, snotted into the sink and went back to the production line. So you could have eaten shit and snot flavoured crisps and never have known.
Also worked at Bowaters Ellesmere port putting new ducting in. Once we were working over the paper vats that mix the papers into pulp. Because it was a shutdown the tanks were empty and you could see the blades as we were on staging above them. One day one of the painters fell off the stage into one of the tanks and sliced the top of his head off! he was running around in the bottom for about 30 seconds dead, then he just collapsed shaking. It took the ambulance and fire crews about an hour to get him out. At the end of 6 months working in the freezing cold (again) the job came to an end. On the last day when everyone was celebrating, a bloke was welding on the roof and a stray spark went through the roof panel and set fire to the rolls of paper below. The whole building was gutted, as was i. Aaaahh happy days , not!
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Your worst Job - 28th Sep 2011 8:03pm
Originally Posted by yewgarth
Once we were working over the paper vats that mix the papers into pulp. Because it was a shutdown the tanks were empty and you could see the blades as we were on staging above them. One day one of the painters fell off the stage into one of the tanks and sliced the top of his head off! he was running around in the bottom for about 30 seconds dead

given me an idea for a new topic:
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Your worst Job - 28th Sep 2011 8:06pm
https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/590475.html#Post590475
Posted By: yewgarth Re: Your worst Job - 28th Sep 2011 8:06pm
Once we were working over the paper vats that mix the papers into pulp. Because it was a shutdown the tanks were empty and you could see the blades as we were on staging above them. One day one of the painters fell off the stage into one of the tanks and sliced the top of his head off! he was running around in the bottom for about 30 seconds dead

given me an idea for a new topic:

What? has any wiki member seen dead people? lol.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Your worst Job - 28th Sep 2011 8:08pm
LOL, oh all of the ghost team claim to have.....

raftl
Posted By: madrob Re: Your worst Job - 28th Sep 2011 8:09pm
whats the idea ?????
Posted By: hoseman Re: Your worst Job - 28th Sep 2011 8:09pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Had a few poo jobs. I think the worst one was weighing and tinning air gun pellets at some dodgy little 'Unit' in Moreton.
No H + S laws, or, indeed any other Employment Laws were recognised!
But hey, i was 15 and felt 'rich' earning my £1.30p per hour, over a 48hour week.
Never did get the full wages due, to me.

This wouldnt happen to be for the Italian (i think) guy in Borrowdale Rd was it??
Know it well, that wasnt a `unit`, it was a shed in a field guarded by a goat chained to an old railway wheel!!! KNOW THIS PLACE SOOO WELL!! raftl
Posted By: yewgarth Re: Your worst Job - 28th Sep 2011 8:11pm
LOL, oh all of the ghost team claim to have.....

raftl

yeah, i've been to that nursing home too.
Posted By: yewgarth Re: Your worst Job - 28th Sep 2011 8:25pm
Another crap job. Does anyone remember the go-kart track in wallasey docks. We had the job of putting the ventilation in there too. The owner was a proper prick and hitler. He was on a scissor lift one day taking cast iron piping down when a bracket gave way and the pipe dropped on his foot breaking it, (the pipe and his foot). He was confined to a wheel chair but still barked out his orders. One day after coming back from the stump we saw him talking to someone on a mobile phone, so two of us sneaked up behind him and pushed him as fast as we could towards a wall. He was screaming and shouting to whoever he was talking to and we just managed to stop before he hit, and we managed to hide before turned around. The second time, we waited for him to wheel himself into the gents and we got the brickies to breeze block the door up. It was after that i was sent somwhere else. It was crap anyway.
Posted By: lansyp Re: Your worst Job - 28th Sep 2011 8:52pm
used to work for wirral seafoods in cathcart street .wet ,smelly and crap wages ,but had a good laugh with fellow inmates lol.and straight to the dolly for a pint on a friday
Posted By: Tombraider Re: Your worst Job - 28th Sep 2011 9:13pm
A temp job, washing dishes.
Was very boring!
Posted By: Pepper_Head Re: Your worst Job - 28th Sep 2011 9:17pm
Another crap job. Does anyone remember the go-kart track in wallasey docks. We had the job of putting the ventilation in there too. The owner was a proper prick and hitler. He was on a scissor lift one day taking cast iron piping down when a bracket gave way and the pipe dropped on his foot breaking it, (the pipe and his foot). He was confined to a wheel chair but still barked out his orders. One day after coming back from the stump we saw him talking to someone on a mobile phone, so two of us sneaked up behind him and pushed him as fast as we could towards a wall. He was screaming and shouting to whoever he was talking to and we just managed to stop before he hit, and we managed to hide before turned around. The second time, we waited for him to wheel himself into the gents and we got the brickies to breeze block the door up. It was after that i was sent somwhere else. It was crap anyway.

Pmsl here, thats class mate, love it.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Your worst Job - 28th Sep 2011 9:25pm
raftl loved the Breeze Block bit. Haha
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Your worst Job - 28th Sep 2011 11:38pm
Worst job - did about an hour or so of cleaning at Tesco Bidston Moss. Had to be there for 6.30am. Did one shift and never went back, never even claimed the measly money they would have paid me for the hour or so I did.

Second worst - temping in a housing association's offices in Leicester. Was working reception and taking money off people for their rent. So security, just me being given hundreds of pounds over an open counter. Amazed no one came back later to rob the place!

Weirdest job - care assistant in a nursing home catering for the mentally ill. Supposed to be a secure facility but they were always out the fire escape in the basement to have a fag. Only ever worked nights so it was bloody scary - especially as the lift would go up and down by itself in the night.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral