Forums
Posted By: Jobneeded67 Another Miserable Week Of No Job - 22nd Aug 2011 1:05pm
I need cheering up, people. Why? Well, I am just feeling so utterly depressed at the fact that another miserable week of fruitless job hunting has begun. I have lost count of all the CVs and applications I have made over all these months, yet still no employer has offered me even an interview.

I can quite believe that recent article that said the Wirral is the worst place for unemployment. I am fed up trying here. I just feel as if I am getting absolutely nowhere. It is very, very soul destroying and depressing.

I would love to get out of the place, but the question is, where on earth in the country can I go to expect a better chance of finding a job than I can here?

As I said in the opener of this posting, I am feeling really down and hopeless, and need some cheering up, some encouragement.

Are any of you feeling as utterly fed up as I am with the job situation? If so, I would love to hear from you. Perhaps we could share our experiences etc. As the old adage goes, a problem shared is a problem halved.
Posted By: Jobneeded67 Re: Another Miserable Week Of No Job - 22nd Aug 2011 1:11pm
The more you are unemployed, and the more the weeks and weeks go by with no sign of a job whatsoever, you really start to wonder if things are EVER going to get any better.

I have never ever known things to be so black in regard to job opportunities. They are practically non-existent!
Posted By: Sallybear Re: Another Miserable Week Of No Job - 22nd Aug 2011 1:18pm
Did you get in touch with Reach Out as I suggested? You could go along and meet them anytime and I promise you it will make you feel better. I know how you feel and sitting at home feeling sorry for yourself is just going to keep you feeling rubbish.

What have the Job Centre offered in terms of support they were really helpful with me, and told me about loads of training opportunities and work clubs in the area,
Posted By: Jobneeded67 Re: Another Miserable Week Of No Job - 22nd Aug 2011 1:29pm
Hi. Thanks for your reply. Hope you are well.

Re. the Jobcentre, I am indeed receiving as much help as possible from them in terms of attending courses on CV preparation (Reed etc.), work clubs (to which I am going soon) etc. That's all I can do, I suppose, until something in the way of real, paid employment turns up.

Will try Reach Out and let you know how I get on.

Cheers.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Another Miserable Week Of No Job - 22nd Aug 2011 1:30pm
You're more then welcome to my job.
Posted By: Jobneeded67 Re: Another Miserable Week Of No Job - 22nd Aug 2011 1:32pm
And what job is that? I presume it's a rather unpalatable one, otherwise you wouldn't be so keen to give it away!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Another Miserable Week Of No Job - 22nd Aug 2011 1:34pm
There has been 5 jobs advertised on this site in the last 3 weeks, did you apply for any of those?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Another Miserable Week Of No Job - 22nd Aug 2011 1:43pm
Originally Posted by Jobneeded67
And what job is that? I presume it's a rather unpalatable one, otherwise you wouldn't be so keen to give it away!

Something like that.

Anyway, have a look here...

http://merseyside.fish4jobs.co.uk/
Posted By: sean99789 Re: Another Miserable Week Of No Job - 22nd Aug 2011 2:36pm
Well as Sally has mentioned about getting in touch with reachout and you haven't bothered I think you should stop MOANING AGAIN

Yes it is hard to find work I'm in the same position myself but seems you have been offered more than I have by the folk at the job centre and I have also lost money and time sending off cv's letters making trips to companies etc with only one interview had
Posted By: free_spirit Re: Another Miserable Week Of No Job - 22nd Aug 2011 3:08pm
The more you are unemployed, and the more the weeks and weeks go by with no sign of a job whatsoever, you really start to wonder if things are EVER going to get any better.

I have never ever known things to be so black in regard to job opportunities. They are practically non-existent!

i suggested last week to go into shops,factories , anywhere dressed nice, armed with CV's and cover note in envelopes and ask to see the personel manager and ask directly about a job...and personally hand them yout cv etc
did you do that?

i also suggested last week grampian food in deeside are always taking on and to ring them...
and as i said last time, they lay on travel too and from work so no worrys about getting there..

did you get in touch with them?

Posted By: free_spirit Re: Another Miserable Week Of No Job - 22nd Aug 2011 3:10pm
alot of places will appreciatte you doing that as often a job may not be advertised...
its easy enough to fill in an application form etc..but a bit harder going to them places and some employers will like that as it shows willing smile
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Another Miserable Week Of No Job - 22nd Aug 2011 3:46pm
The Employment Emporium
390/392 Chester Road
Little Sutton
Cheshire
CH66 3RA
Tel: 0151 347 1110
Fax: 0151 348 0220
Contact name: Mark Ward
Email: [email protected]

Call them, tell them you want to work for the contact company.

A job's a job.
Posted By: lau2908 Re: Another Miserable Week Of No Job - 22nd Aug 2011 4:30pm
Not sure if its your cup of tea but Pharmapac in bidston are always taking on, they advertise through workforce, ANYONE can get a job there.
Posted By: free_spirit Re: Another Miserable Week Of No Job - 22nd Aug 2011 4:35pm

There you go, everyone is helping you :-)
If you try/do everything suggested on here ,
You could be working in a week so.
That would be great and maybe cheer you up.
Posted By: GrandMasterFlash Re: Another Miserable Week Of No Job - 22nd Aug 2011 4:41pm
Why don't you go start a blog? This site isn't here for people to make thread after thread about how miserable they are. Maybe if you were actually taking the advice you've been given!
Posted By: Silverback Re: Another Miserable Week Of No Job - 22nd Aug 2011 5:16pm
Originally Posted by GrandMasterFlash
Why don't you go start a blog? This site isn't here for people to make thread after thread about how miserable they are. Maybe if you were actually taking the advice you've been given!

You don't have to read the posts.

When those who are offering advice get fed up with him/hers 'woe is me' they will also stop reading and answering the posts.

In the meantime he/she may actually get a job from advice they wouldn't have had if they hadn't posted.

Posted By: GrandMasterFlash Re: Another Miserable Week Of No Job - 22nd Aug 2011 5:21pm
But they're not taking any of the advice and have admitted that, and I do have to read it if I'm looking on the jobs section to see if anything's been suggested, everyone's having a hard time with jobs so there's no reason to keep making threads about not having a job, this is JobNeeded's second one just about them not having a job!
Posted By: muzzy2 Re: Another Miserable Week Of No Job - 22nd Aug 2011 5:58pm
What kind of job does Jobseeker want and does he/she have a trade or any experience.
Why not work for yourself, if you like doing something, think about putting an advert in the papers or on notice boards in stores like Wilkinsons, Tescos Asda B & Q saying you can do painting, decorating, gardening, anything! You would get people answering, Forget writing CVs
Trying to get tradesmen or odd job men to do a job seems always difficult as they're always got jobs on when you ring.
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: Another Miserable Week Of No Job - 22nd Aug 2011 6:08pm
If/ when you get a job, get some insurance!I have quite a lot as I have a large mortgage. 25 quid a month will get you 500 quid a month in the event of unemployment, accident or sickness. Regardless of age job or any other factor. It's not as good as earning a wage but it's better than just the dole right?

Do you own a ladder? If so go knocking on peoples doors offering to clean their gutter in time for the winter, 10 quid a house. You could do 2 maybe 3 an hour. Chin up
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Another Miserable Week Of No Job - 22nd Aug 2011 6:21pm
Originally Posted by TheComputerLab
If/ when you get a job, get some insurance!I have quite a lot as I have a large mortgage. 25 quid a month will get you 500 quid a month in the event of unemployment, accident or sickness.

Sounds like a winner happy
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Another Miserable Week Of No Job - 22nd Aug 2011 6:23pm
Originally Posted by TheComputerLab

Do you own a ladder? If so go knocking on peoples doors offering to clean their gutter in time for the winter, 10 quid a house. You could do 2 maybe 3 an hour. Chin up

Some more good advice.

Take the bull by the horns pal, be proactive, don't sit there wallowing in your own self pity. If you knocked on my door and asked if you could clean the gutters for £10 as you were down on your luck and after a bit of a break... I'd say thanks for asking and well done, get up the ladder.

I'll even lend you the ladder.
Posted By: philmch Re: Another Miserable Week Of No Job - 22nd Aug 2011 7:13pm
Don't allow it to get you down. I'm educated to postgrad level and I've been there myself. Everyone should work to live. No-one should live to work.

Don't bother sending out speculative CVs. It's a complete waste of time. The agencies really are your best bet. They are pimps of course and take a percentage of your wages but it's worth it. Once you've registered you can just sit back and let them do all the work as it's in their interests too.

Remember - it's only work and there are more important things in life. No-one has the right to put you down if you're on benefits. The important thing is that you're still trying and you're just as good as, if not better than, everyone else.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Another Miserable Week Of No Job - 22nd Aug 2011 7:37pm
Originally Posted by philmch

Don't bother sending out speculative CVs. It's a complete waste of time.

Not true.
Posted By: petzl Re: Another Miserable Week Of No Job - 22nd Aug 2011 7:43pm
I agree with philmch but some agencies just mess you people around.I should know as i worked for them for 15 years on & off.

I dont think wandering around the streets with a set of ladders is such a good idea really. Especially if the benefits office saw you.Your money would be stopped for ages whilst you were investigated... anyway isnt knocking on peoples doors asking to do jobs illegal now?

Keep your chin up!
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Another Miserable Week Of No Job - 22nd Aug 2011 8:47pm
So what skills or experience do you have?. Have you got a trade?. Why don't you learn one if not. I have a trade and despite loosing my job in April after 8 years when the firm went bust I quickly found something else, only agency work but the moneys pretty good. I get offers of work nearly every week via text off the agency's because I have a trade. Why don't you look into collage courses?. Use the time your out of work positively and get some training. The dole might even pay for it.
Posted By: Wench Re: Another Miserable Week Of No Job - 22nd Aug 2011 10:48pm
Once again, what about voluntary work etc. I hate to say it, but maybe your "I'm so depressed, I'm the only one that can't find a job" attitude is coming across to potential employees. Nobody wants to employ a miserable barstard (no offence).

*yawn*
Posted By: hoseman Re: Another Miserable Week Of No Job - 22nd Aug 2011 11:27pm
OY YOU!!! IM a miserable barstard....And proud!!
Dont you forget that you wench! raftl
Posted By: Wench Re: Another Miserable Week Of No Job - 22nd Aug 2011 11:43pm
Originally Posted by hoseman
OY YOU!!! IM a miserable barstard....And proud!!
Dont you forget that you wench! raftl

You have a job, so can be as miserable as you like - which you do!! I love you because of it, not despite of it wink The knack is be happy happy to the point of being manic then become a miserable bugger.

Negativity breeds negativity.
Posted By: Jobneeded67 Re: Another Miserable Week Of No Job - 22nd Aug 2011 11:48pm
I agree. Some agencies DO mess you about. I have had more than my fair share of their useless, arrogant treatment, believe me. Many's the time I have been left seething with rage at the condescending attitudes of some of their young female consultants, who think they know everything about unemployment when in fact they know very little! They should remember that they wouldn't be wanted if there weren't so many people out of work.

That is why I don't bother with them anymore, as they are a complete waste of time. I hate them.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Another Miserable Week Of No Job - 23rd Aug 2011 12:18am
I registered with an agency and had to photocopy 30 documents to register, the only work they offered me was in Cornwall, kept phoning me and asking if I was available the same day.

Two other national agencies I have never heard back from after registering, I'm probably still registered with them.

Eventually found a local new agency who were quite nice and actually got me work fairly regularly, when I first met them there were two people running the show, a year later they had expanded to four staff.

Just shows that you shouldn't look only at the big name agencies.
Posted By: reddragon Re: Another Miserable Week Of No Job - 23rd Aug 2011 12:31am
I was with securicor employment agency in Chester and had no probs at all with them the contract I was on came to an end and within 12 hours I had a new contract to go to so if you want a job go on an agency and while your earning you can still be searching.
Posted By: TheComputerLab Re: Another Miserable Week Of No Job - 23rd Aug 2011 8:25am
I will bear that in mind next time the window cleaner knocks. Oh and I will also take on board what you said about working and not paying tax on your gutter cleaning money. Declare it pound for pound and they will deduct it pound for pound, wouldn't take long to overtake what the dole pay.

Print some little a5 flyers and drop them through doors. What is your skill?

Every agency job I have had over the years have offered me full time employment so agency working is a good thing in my book
Posted By: Sallybear Re: Another Miserable Week Of No Job - 23rd Aug 2011 9:12am
If it wasn't for agencies I wouldn't have been able to pay my rent since getting made redundant in April, agencies have their place.

Get in touch with Sarah at The Business Connection in Chester, or Franki at The Business Connection in Liverpool both are looking for people right now with administration and customer service experience.

Speculatively send your CV and covering letters ONLY to places you WANT to work for, do some digging first and get some names, the internet makes this really easy.

Get in touch with EVERY property management company on Merseyside and ask if they need any labourers, loads of managed properties are getting their gardens done at present in time for Autumn approaching.

Send me your CV and I will professionally review it and give you some great advice FOR FREE!!

But stop moaning, as I said previously it really will be having an impact on your attitude when going for work. It will be coming across on the phone and in letters and emails and it will be hindering your attempts at a job.

Get in touch with Manpower, they have an office in Lever's they often offer one or two days work, my friend took 3 days work off them last year and now has a contract with Lever's and is on £17 per hour.

Ask the Job Centre about ILM Vacancies I know for a fact, that Reach Out had an open day and not all vacancies were filled, these were for Reach Out clients only first of all, these will now be available to JSA claimants on the Wirral and not open to the general public yet.

You have the name of the manager at HRGO, despite recent converstations about this place, have you got in touch yet?? What did they say?

Posted By: Jobneeded67 Re: Another Miserable Week Of No Job - 23rd Aug 2011 11:58am
I am a member of the Business Connection's Facebook group and from time to time I leave a message there saying that I am still seeking work. Just left another one now, so hope somebody will get back to me.

As regards the other agencies you mentioned - well, I don't really want to go on to much about them, as I have had a few bad experiences (esp with one particular one that messed me around really badly) with them which I don't care to repeat. Suffice to say that I AM taking ALL the other advice people have given me on this forum, and so certainly do not want to convey the impression that I am just inactively moaning!

I will not go on too much about my unemployment problem anyway, as I think I have said enough.

Again, thanks, everybody for the advice. I can assure you that it is getting assimilated and acted upon.
Posted By: Sallybear Re: Another Miserable Week Of No Job - 23rd Aug 2011 4:43pm
Seriously being on their FB group is nothing, actually call and ask to speak to the two girls I mentioned. Tell them you have spoken to me, ask them what they are trying to fill at the moment, say you are available at a minutes notice.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral