Forums
Posted By: mikeeb Birkenhead centre development - 28th Feb 2021 12:06pm
We now know the development of Birkenhead town centre has started, what do you think of the plans?
Plot A is the first one underway and has a detailed application for offices with flexible uses for retail, leisure or food and beverages on the ground floors.
The largest of these new offices are going to be used by Wirral Council, does this mean that Wallasey Town Hall will be left to history?
[Linked Image]
The wider areas of the site has been applied for in outline. This means that the detailed design has yet to be fixed for plots B, C, D, E, F, G, I, and J. For those plots, it’s the principle of development and its type that is being applied for, so this illustration is not an exact one.

Here are all the other outline applications.
Plot B. Car park.
Plot C. The replacement of the market with a new market hall, offices, retail and leisure.
Plot D. Substation.
Plot E. Hotel, office, residential, retail and leisure.
Plot F. Improvements to bus station.
Plot G. Hotel, residential and car park.
Plot H. Substation.
Plots I and J. Residential.

Amongst all this new development, I hope they don't knock The Crown pub down.

Most may have seen this already but all the details are here.
https://wirralgrowthcompany.co.uk/birkenhead/
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Birkenhead centre development - 28th Feb 2021 6:27pm
If they were planning a conference/exhibition centre, the two hotels would make some sort of sense - otherwise, I'm not sure who'd stay in them unless they'd be a cheaper alternative for people wanting to visit Liverpool. I hope they go for something more imaginative than what's illustrated!
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Birkenhead centre development - 28th Feb 2021 6:56pm
Can't help smiling at the news that the first block will be occupied by the council. A sure sign nobody else has shown any interest.

Not that I'm very surprised. This is the worse possible time to propose a development like this. And TWO hotels! I would have thought one was unlikely to see much in teh way of occupancy.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Birkenhead centre development - 1st Mar 2021 11:02am
The Crown is grade II listed - hopefully in any development it would remain, as a feature.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Birkenhead centre development - 1st Mar 2021 2:20pm
I feel that 2 hotels is a bit optimistic as well.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral