Forums
Posted By: granny Brown Bin Collections - 7th Jun 2019 8:46am

Anyone failed to have their brown bin emptied this week ? The new financial year has begun for Berty Brown Bin.
I paid his membership, which was accepted and collected from my bank a week before Berty's next collection.

Up to that point no ' membership sticker' had arrived, but that shouldn't make much difference because Berty's collectors have IT on board to tell them who has paid and who hasn't.

To cut a short story even shorter, the Berty's Collectors didn't empty him but only about 2 hours later the 'membership sticker' arrived . It would seem that a number of neighbours had the same problem but all received their stickers in the same morning post as I did.

According to Street Scene, numerous people have called to report no collection on that particular morning and if we left the bins out they would be emptied before 5pm the next day.

Well, it hasn't happened, and they haven't yet been collected this morning either .

This of course does not sound like a major problem, objection being... I bet the bins will be emptied on Saturday morning, when the men are on triple wages .
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Brown Bin Collections - 7th Jun 2019 2:22pm
Same problem, sticker arrived in post after they hadn't emptied the bin.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Brown Bin Collections - 7th Jun 2019 5:21pm
On my daughter's road in West Kirby quite a few hadn't been emptied today, including one belonging to her neighbour who had definitely paid but had not got round to putting the new sticker on the bin. Collectors are supposed to have an electronic record of who's paid with them on the wagon, so that should not have been a problem!
Posted By: granny Re: Brown Bin Collections - 7th Jun 2019 11:55pm

Selfish maybe, but pleased it's not only this road.

Update : Street Scene said they would be here before 5pm on Thursday... no, they didn't arrive.

Phoned again today, and told they would be here by 5 pm today...... no, they didn't arrive.

And yes Greenwood they do have electronic gadgets to tell them who have paid or who haven't, so someone, somewhere can't quite get things right.

We wait in anticipation. frown
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Brown Bin Collections - 8th Jun 2019 9:13am
The guy that thought this up is a genius.

You pay for rubbish removal through council tax.
You pay an extra fee for brown bin.
You reduce the amount of rubbish the council collects in grey bin.
You reduce the amount of landfill tax the Council pays.
You increase the recycling amount for the Council's recycling target.
You provide the Council with free compost for their use.
You provide the Council with free compost they sell.

Basically if you are recycling, not only are you are getting penalised for recycling you are also helping the Council in other ways. Those that don't do this don't get penalised.
Posted By: muzzy2 Re: Brown Bin Collections - 8th Jun 2019 11:26am
What did you all do with garden rubbish before brown bins? People still had just the same grass cuttings, hedges etc. So why pay all that money now?
Posted By: granny Re: Brown Bin Collections - 8th Jun 2019 10:41pm
We used to put garden waste in the general waste bins for years. Then they provided white sacs for collecting garden waste . Then we were given brown bins which we had to put garden waste in. Next they started to charge for the emptying of brown bins . Now they increase the prices up each year.

Like many others I need brown bins x 2. Too much garden and a lot more than grass cuttings . frown
Posted By: muzzy2 Re: Brown Bin Collections - 9th Jun 2019 6:33am
Yes, but what did you do before, when there where NO bags or bins? You found a corner at the back of your garden and piled it there usually to rot down. No one complained about having to do that then and no harm came from it!
Posted By: granny Re: Brown Bin Collections - 9th Jun 2019 9:09pm

There have always been bins. We had metal bins once upon a time and it depends on what is to rot down. Conifer clippings, hedge cuttings, yew (poisonous) and wood from many trees take three years or longer to rot . Wood left in piles can also result in diseases and kill other plants and trees. Then there's all the dead stuff to be cut back at the end on the flowering season. The bins were emptied weekly and systematically the garden waste could be included. ( back in the day) Now there are environmental issues which we have to abide by.
We used to have bonfires, but as neighbours trees grew out of control and overhang each others gardens , it's more likely to start a burning inferno now . (in my case at least) . What pisses me off more than anything, is that I pay for 2 x bins, and regularly fill one of them with next doors rubbish that I have to keep cutting back.
Posted By: granny Re: Brown Bin Collections - 10th Jun 2019 11:31pm

Still not been collected.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Brown Bin Collections - 11th Jun 2019 9:50pm
Granny wrote "And yes Greenwood they do have electronic gadgets to tell them who have paid or who haven't, so someone, somewhere can't quite get things right."

Is that like the TV Detector van technology. !

I was doing a garden in New Brighton of someone who wont pay for their brown bin. Saw the bin lorry coming and just put it out as they were approaching...no problem straight on the bin lorry.. A customer in noctorum didnt get theirs emptied as it was too heavy..compacted wet mown grass.
Posted By: granny Re: Brown Bin Collections - 12th Jun 2019 9:55am

They are said to have data on the vehicles that can pick up who has paid and who hasn't paid. Considering I paid on the 25th May and the bin collection should have been on 5th June, no one can say it was a late payment.
You're comment is interesting Fish, as it would seem certain areas are being cleared without payment !!

Here we pay and nothing happens.

Phoned Street Scene again yesterday, one guy seemed very helpful . Said he would make enquiries and call me back.. That was 24 hours ago.... and so far 'nothing' !!

Posted By: granny Re: Brown Bin Collections - 13th Jun 2019 9:41pm

They were in fact emptied yesterday just before 5 pm. So it took a week.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral