Forums
Posted By: kenny BIN broken by bin truck. - 28th Apr 2016 4:38pm
Last Friday our green bin was collected by who ever does it for the council. When we went to bring the bin back in the lid and handles had been completely snapped off. Now as we know the bins are pretty tuff and even if it had fallen over it would not have broke, the lid and handle must be in the back of the collection vehicle. I rang council and they said I MUST buy a new one. Why when they broke it. I am disgusted.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: BIN broken by bin truck. - 28th Apr 2016 5:36pm
Two possible approaches:-

Get in touch with Biffa as they damaged it.

Complain to the council that the bin they provided wasn't fit for purpose. Assuming you didn't buy the bin then you could also point out that it is NOT your bin, it is the council's bin (how can it be yours if you never formally took possession of it)

They replace damaged grey bins free but charge £24 for replacement green bins.

Biffa might back down but I can't see the council doing so.
Posted By: Salmon Re: BIN broken by bin truck. - 28th Apr 2016 6:12pm
Another possibility is that a "neighbour" swapped bins. Was yours personalised?
Posted By: kenny Re: BIN broken by bin truck. - 28th Apr 2016 6:19pm
The council have said that Biffa had not reported it, so its down to me. Yes it has our number on it. Im fuming over it. If i damage council property does this now mean i can do it with out having to pay for it.
Posted By: snowhite Re: BIN broken by bin truck. - 28th Apr 2016 8:17pm
I would keep on at them.insist they give you a replacement.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: BIN broken by bin truck. - 28th Apr 2016 9:11pm
Originally Posted by kenny
The council have said that Biffa had not reported it, so its down to me. Yes it has our number on it. Im fuming over it. If i damage council property does this now mean i can do it with out having to pay for it.

It says on the website that as long as you report damage by crew within three days they will repair/replace for free - there is no mention that the crew has also got to report it.

Bins damaged by the collection crews will be repaired or replaced free of charge as long as they are reported to us within 3 working days of collection.
Posted By: Madge Re: BIN broken by bin truck. - 29th Apr 2016 1:12am
They do have a team who come out and fix them, ours was damaged last year and i spoke to them and no joy so i emailed them every week for 3 months same email, asking when they were going to replace or fix, and eventually they fixed it free of charge, tell them a neighbour saw them do it, but just badger the life out of them
Posted By: casper Re: BIN broken by bin truck. - 29th Apr 2016 6:55am
They do have a system of reporting things, missed bins for example, if you dont put your bin out for collection they will report it as not out via computer, this is to challenge any reaction from the council if the missed bin is reported to them, and avoids any penalties like fines or having to return for the bin and also to avoid any spurious claims people make about damaged cars or bins.
Posted By: kenny Re: BIN broken by bin truck. - 29th Apr 2016 9:10am
Have just spoken to Biffa and as soon as i mentioned the address they said right ok we will send out a new bin free of charge. They said its been the bin wagon that has broken the bin if it has ripped off the lid and handles. They do not repair bins anymore the lady said. Thanks to DiggingDeeper who mentioned to ring Biffa. New bin will be here Tuesday.
Thanks
Posted By: Madge Re: BIN broken by bin truck. - 29th Apr 2016 10:45am
they repaired mine about a month ago
Posted By: kenny Re: BIN broken by bin truck. - 29th Apr 2016 12:33pm
The lady this morning told me they dont repair anymore, obviously they do. Aww well im just glad its now been sorted and im getting a new one.
Posted By: snowhite Re: BIN broken by bin truck. - 29th Apr 2016 1:49pm
Originally Posted by kenny
Have just spoken to Biffa and as soon as i mentioned the address they said right ok we will send out a new bin free of charge. They said its been the bin wagon that has broken the bin if it has ripped off the lid and handles. They do not repair bins anymore the lady said. Thanks to DiggingDeeper who mentioned to ring Biffa. New bin will be here Tuesday.
Thanks
Results at last Kenny thumbsup
© Wirral-Wikiwirral