Forums
Posted By: granny Leaves - 20th Oct 2015 10:19am

The leaves falling from trees are like a carpet around here. Some of the team cut the grass verges last week and blew the leaves from the pavements. Well masses amount of more leaves have dropped and they are inches thick everywhere , particularly in the gutters .

That is bound to happen, but why has the street cleaner not been around whilst it is dry ? Once the rain comes later they are going to block up the drains and become slippy on the pavements.

Am I just getting old and miserable, or is common sense no longer on the agenda for some things ?

Posted By: chriskay Re: Leaves - 20th Oct 2015 10:55am
You may or may not be getting old and miserable; I couldn't say, but I'm afraid common sense costs money.
Posted By: snowhite Re: Leaves - 20th Oct 2015 11:06am
Its not just leaves laying about in the street Granny.
Most of the side streets have still got weeds growing out the pavements which look a utter mess.
Roads and pavements are not being swept properly.
Grass verges are also left to grow and not being cut regular.
Total disgrace,
Posted By: granny Re: Leaves - 20th Oct 2015 11:07am
As the maintenance is outsourced to contractors, at astronomical cost , I would have assumed it has already been accounted for in the budget.

Right Snowy. We got out and pulled weeds this summer from all around the property my son is living in. All the way along the boundaries. The rest of the road hasn't been done.
Posted By: venice Re: Leaves - 20th Oct 2015 11:11am
Originally Posted by granny

Am I just getting old and miserable, ?

Yes raftl laffin laffin
Posted By: granny Re: Leaves - 20th Oct 2015 11:14am
Originally Posted by venice

Yes raftl laffin laffin

My oh my Venice, very outspoken ! I hope you don't go arse over tit on wet leaves , they who laugh last, laugh loudest laffin
Posted By: snowhite Re: Leaves - 20th Oct 2015 11:17am
Originally Posted by chriskay
You may or may not be getting old and miserable; I couldn't say, but I'm afraid common sense costs money.
The amount of council tax that is being paid,Then the streets should be kept up to standards.
Posted By: snowhite Re: Leaves - 20th Oct 2015 11:18am
Originally Posted by venice

Yes raftl laffin laffin

My oh my Venice, very outspoken. I hope you don't go arse over tit on wet leaves , they who laugh last, laugh loudest laffin
raftl raftl noonoo
Posted By: casper Re: Leaves - 20th Oct 2015 11:21am
A guy comes around by us on a quad bike allegedly spraying the weeds, he goes that fast he missed half the road, as to the leaves, blowing them off the verges is great however it doesn't solve the problem it just moves it and makes it worse, as you say slippery leaves on the pavements a serious hazard especially for the elderly, so they brush them into the gutters it rains and blocks the grids and causes flooding, could use the community service bods, but would need wagons to transport leaves.
Posted By: sunnyside Re: Leaves - 20th Oct 2015 11:23am
you ok venice?

Attached picture thf.jpg
Posted By: granny Re: Leaves - 20th Oct 2015 11:29am
Venice, yoo hoo hi

Just in case :

http://www.clearanswers.co.uk/public-liability/slip-trip-fall-compensation-claim-advice.htm

Can anyone feel a poem coming on ??
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Leaves - 20th Oct 2015 5:02pm
It's been relatively calm lately and the leaves have stayed more or less where they've fallen. Quite beautiful in places, if they're not causing a nuisance. It's due to become more windy, and wet - rain on Wednesday, I believe - and that will move the problems round a bit, but I bet there will still be blocked drains galore! The lower levels of maintenance are just a taste of what's to come when there are more cuts to Council services, I regret to say. Not looking forward to that.
Posted By: venice Re: Leaves - 20th Oct 2015 6:05pm
grin Fine thanks, your spell didnt work granny laugh
Posted By: venice Re: Leaves - 20th Oct 2015 6:08pm
Seriously though, it would be nice if the leaves were dealt with better. Always makes me laugh when you do see a workman out , with a flipping blower , moving them off the pavement into the road ---and they all blow back behind him!! Be better if they had a vac pipe much the same as the drain cleaner lorries .
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Leaves - 21st Oct 2015 12:22pm
I'm pretty sure they didn't collect at all last year.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Leaves - 22nd Oct 2015 8:29pm
Not really seen any effective machinery to gather the leaves on a big scale. .

Can never understand why the guys cutting the grass verges seem to do it on bin days.. watched the driver get off the mower to move the bins out the way.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral