Forums
Posted By: granny Wirral Councillor - 30th Dec 2013 12:46pm
Can anyone enlighten on how a Lib/Dem councillor of Wirral has changed direction, quit the party ,saying the group has total lack of direction and leadership . He has become an Independent candidate and he still intends to represent the people of Thingwall and Pensby until the next election to save having a by election. Strange we have not been given any literature through our doors on this event. Another hidden bit of wangling.
Mark Johnson. How can he do that? He is surely not representing the electorate if he has quit the party that was voted for(rather than a person). He joined politics a few yrs. ago, just when the important decisive decision for the Warrens Health Centre was needing votes.
I scratch my head! confused
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Wirral Councillor - 30th Dec 2013 1:23pm
Niffs a bit doesn't it. He should be sacked and made completely Independent!
Posted By: little_pob Re: Wirral Councillor - 30th Dec 2013 1:35pm
You can use whatever system you want to choose who you vote for, but you elect the person - not the party.

It's why MPs who defect keep their seat, but when one dies or resigns a by-election is triggered.
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral Councillor - 30th Dec 2013 2:15pm
If a person is elected, due to their political persuasions, then surely if they change their opinions and beliefs, they are not representing the people who voted for them in the first place? He could be an undercover agent now...( not saying he is ) smile
Posted By: chriskay Re: Wirral Councillor - 30th Dec 2013 2:36pm
little_pob is right of course; you vote for a person, but of course 99.99% of the time, you vote for him/her because of the party he/she belongs to. If a person stands as an independent, everyone who votes for that person knows he/she is not affiliated to any party, and that's fine. In this case, I think he should resign and a new election be held.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Wirral Councillor - 30th Dec 2013 6:37pm
It's all about political party - that's what the Whips are for.
Posted By: justice Re: Wirral Councillor - 30th Dec 2013 6:46pm
It is a scandal and utterly dishonest.Seacombe (a real labour stronghold), several years ago had a Tory councilor Dennis Knowles
inflicted upon them. Mr Knowles knew he had no chance of being voted as a Tory so decided to stand for Labour and when elected changed his party. Despicable I am so glad that the people of Upton refused to play his games and he came nowhere near a victory.Had the cheek to say that he was a resident of Woodchurch when he lived in Wallasey.
The law needs to be changed.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral