Forums
Posted By: bromguy43 wirral council new garden waste charges - 9th Apr 2013 3:02pm
just seen stickers on our brown bins as of 1st june wirral council will be charging £35 per yr to empty your brown bin absolutley disgusted at this and think it will be the start of paying for all bins to be emptyed if people subscribe to it how the hell they getting away with this?????

start of wirral having people dumping garden rubbish everywere cant wait

http://www.wirral.gov.uk/my-service...wn-garden-waste-bins/garden-waste-charge
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 9th Apr 2013 3:06pm
Yep got one on my bin today.

Surely Council Tax is for services provided by the Local Authority ?
Posted By: Sneezy Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 9th Apr 2013 3:10pm
That's what I was just going to ask....absolutely disgusting this....just don't understand where all this extra money is supposed to come from every year !!
This country is grinding us into the ground frown
Posted By: starakita Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 9th Apr 2013 3:18pm
I was asked did I want a brown bin I said not really good job I wouldn't be getting it emptied
Posted By: Moonstar Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 9th Apr 2013 3:33pm
I thought we were doing them a favour providing free composting material which they then sell on after processing. Seeing as I only use mine about four times a year I think I can live without it - like we used to.
Posted By: saltytom Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 9th Apr 2013 3:36pm
Very simple black bag in green bin been doing it for years
Posted By: Mark Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 9th Apr 2013 3:43pm
The Brown Bin Collections are not even all year round if i remember correctly. This is surely going to spill over in to peoples green bins.

£35 is way over the top.
The garden waste goes to be recycled into energy somewhere between here and chester if i remember.

There seems to be a lot of back handed tax going on at the moment.

Ok you pay £35 whats to stop a Naughty Neigbour or a Kid dumping there green waste into your brown bin. This is where its going to get stupid. If i was paying for that service i would be very very wary of 1. My Bin Bin Out side while i was at work. 2. If i'm at work whos to stop the opportunist to dump there cuttings into my bin.

Scrap the Bin Service.
We should all just go back to throwing everything in the one bin.
Posted By: Sneezy Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 9th Apr 2013 3:47pm
withthat
Posted By: muzzy2 Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 9th Apr 2013 3:58pm
What will people do with the brown bins if they don't want to pay?
Posted By: Snodvan Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 9th Apr 2013 4:06pm
I am sure we can GUARANTEE the "bin spies" will be out looking for folk putting garden stuff in the green bins. Personally I have padlocks on my bins until the days I put them out - otherwise I get dog muck bags dumped in there.

Snod
Posted By: granny Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 9th Apr 2013 4:09pm
I suppose anyone with a garden will have to subscribe to it. Probably resulting from the little 'questionaire' we were all requested to fill in. No doubt, those without a garden couldn't see why they should pay towards the service of those who used it. It doesn't mean to say that anyone will get any refund for not having one.
Hey ho! Yes, I'm sure we'll pay it and if they then put a cost on the brown and the green bins, so be it. We'll all be in it together!!

How are they going to monitor it? The cost of monitoring the whole of Wirral, whether they have paid their £35 per year or not, is likely to cost more to implement than the service itself! Or does anyone know how it will be done?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 9th Apr 2013 4:53pm
Back to Plan A, dumping the grass cuttings in the compost heap. Rarely use the brown bin- just for leaves in Autumn.
Posted By: kamikazi Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 9th Apr 2013 5:14pm
I have had mine emptied twice in the last 28 weeks, which would mean on average I would be paying £8.75 per empty. They love to ignore my bin.

Its a shit service.

K

Posted By: Stingray Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 9th Apr 2013 5:20pm
dump all your garden waste on the Town Hall Steps!
Posted By: j_demo Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 9th Apr 2013 5:38pm
pretty sure part of my council tax is for waste collection, but where i live we get 'biffa' bins and a separate collection than the council one is done for our bins...

must look into that
Ho hum, back to burning it again!
I need a new compost bin so im drilling some holes in my brown bin, sawing a hole in the front and giving it a new life as a composter,....job done......... up yours .....wirral borough council
Posted By: StuyMac Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 9th Apr 2013 7:10pm
Just been chatting to a collegue about this - he lives in Nottingham. Apparently he has been paying £20 per year for his garden waste bin, so its not a new thing being tried by our council - maybe something to bring them in line with other councils...??

Not saying its right, just adding some info smile
Posted By: pegsgirl Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 9th Apr 2013 7:23pm
I cant believe this, my brown bin was not put back last year by the bin men, so i had to cough up £30 for a replacement and now we are going to have to pay to have it emptied!! well i will be making a compost heap too!!
Posted By: Pinkyroo Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 9th Apr 2013 7:35pm
Bedroom tax. Brown bin tax what next???
Posted By: pegsgirl Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 9th Apr 2013 7:36pm
Great idea think we will do the same.

Originally Posted by baggyuncle51
I need a new compost bin so im drilling some holes in my brown bin, sawing a hole in the front and giving it a new life as a composter,....job done......... up yours .....wirral borough council
Posted By: Maisie Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 9th Apr 2013 7:43pm
Originally Posted by Capt_America
Ho hum, back to burning it again!

I was about to say that myself!! Nice little bonfire in the garden!!

yipee yipee
Posted By: TudorBlue Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 9th Apr 2013 8:05pm
So does this mean I can throw my garden waste in my grey bin? Its recyclable waste isnt it? Pissed off big time here
Posted By: starakita Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 9th Apr 2013 8:07pm
I havn't got much in my garden so any garden rubbish will go in the green bin like it did in my old house
Posted By: oldpm01 Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 9th Apr 2013 8:15pm
I pay over £1500 a year in Council tax - WTF do they do with it......
Posted By: stickybeak Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 9th Apr 2013 8:39pm
if like pegsgirl, your bin isnt put back after being emptied, ring the depot and check it hasnt fallen into the back of the truck, binmen are not allowed to try and get bins out and they end up mangled. happened to us recently and we were given a new bin. this plan to charge £35 is disgusting .
They get themselfs a great big buffet laid on for the next meeting of how there going to shaft us
Posted By: granny Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 9th Apr 2013 8:53pm
Originally Posted by oldpm01

Good question.

There's another Wirral Open Golf Championships returns next year. 'Hospitality' might be one point of consideration. There is one lot of money spent on that. I'm almost sure it crippled the council last time(2006) as it was after that, they started to make all the redunancies, starting with the tourism department but,....there will be the magnificent hanging baskets, manicured grass verges, filled in potholes,a tribe of volunteers all being supplied with meals and uniforms, mobile phones by the score, taxis, and all the profits in the food and drink dept. will go to the 'corporates' on site.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 9th Apr 2013 9:19pm
They have cut pretty much all their event funding this year.

Wallasey Motor Club normally get a small, but essential grant to help with the Prom Rally every year. We (WMC) have already been told that this year the funding will not be available, and it has put the event at risk of not happening if we cannont find funding from other forms of sponsorship.
Posted By: Flintanis Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 9th Apr 2013 9:24pm
Back to using green bin then. Used for all rubbish going to landfill. As far as I can see you can put almost anything in it. May need a bigger green bin though, or paint it green.
Posted By: MATTSVM Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 9th Apr 2013 10:43pm
Like many people on here i rarely put my brown wheely out, maybe 2/3 times a year, i got a warning letter with a threat of a fine because someone had put a bag o sh!@e in my grey wheely on the day of collection, so rather than give the third reich an excuse to fine me i know take black bin bags to the tip once my green wheely is full... Had enough of all this now!! £1500 quid a year for what!! I have never called the police, or fire brigade, No egg run no wirral show, potholes everywhere !! There will be a congestion charge next in birkenhead !!!
Posted By: MikeT Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 10th Apr 2013 5:14am
Originally Posted by Snodvan
Personally I have padlocks on my bins until the days I put them out - otherwise I get dog muck bags dumped in there.

Well, would you rather have it in your bin or on the ground? I know what I would prefer.
Posted By: MikeT Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 10th Apr 2013 5:16am

They're not fixing the potholes in the roads, for sure. Just had to get another wheel bearing done.
Posted By: MikeT Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 10th Apr 2013 5:20am
Originally Posted by granny
but,....there will be the magnificent hanging baskets, manicured grass verges, filled in potholes,

In Hoylake and West Kirby, yes, while the rest of Wirral has to make do.
Posted By: bert1 Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 10th Apr 2013 5:52am
Is it alright calling it a "Bin Tax"

If you don't like it, you can always downsize to a 2 Bin House.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 10th Apr 2013 8:18am
Originally Posted by bert1
Is it alright calling it a "Bin Tax"

If you don't like it, you can always downsize to a 2 Bin House.

raftl raftl raftl
Posted By: movingtables Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 10th Apr 2013 9:18am
well then lets have a wiki wirral meet 1st of june and dump all our garden waste on the town hall steps hahaha.

edit: that was a joke before a swat team storm my house.

Posted By: insanekitty Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 10th Apr 2013 11:42am
Originally Posted by MikeT

They're not fixing the potholes in the roads, for sure. Just had to get another wheel bearing done.

Take pictures of the pot hole and send the council an invoice for the work done to your car.
If they deny the claim see a solicitor cos they will pay up!

http://potholes.co.uk/claims/how_to_claim
Posted By: Snodvan Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 10th Apr 2013 2:56pm
Originally Posted by Pinkyroo

Other bins
Charges to dump stuff at the tip

My rates are £2167 pa for a house with 2 adults living there. Come back the Poll Tax (being provocative now I know)

Snod
Posted By: Snodvan Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 10th Apr 2013 3:01pm
Originally Posted by MikeT
Originally Posted by Snodvan
Personally I have padlocks on my bins until the days I put them out - otherwise I get dog muck bags dumped in there.

Well, would you rather have it in your bin or on the ground? I know what I would prefer.

There is a pavement bin 10 yards away but the buggers STILL dump the bags in my bin. In part that is because the pavement bin is often full - I have seen cars stop and stuff bags of rubbish in the pavement bin. These are often parents dropping kids off at the school just down the road. Nice plan - drop off the kids and minimise the stuff in their own bins by using the pavement bin. Humph ! Yes, I have photographed them but (as yet) have not done anything with the pics.

Snod
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 10th Apr 2013 3:08pm
Last time I photographed the mums dropping off their kids I got put on the sex offenders list ;-)
Posted By: Snodvan Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 10th Apr 2013 3:33pm
I can assure you I am WELL aware of that sort of potential problem and I photograph the cars/ numberplates ONLY

S.
Posted By: Zubee Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 10th Apr 2013 4:40pm
Originally Posted by Pinkyroo

I suggested on the Bedroom Tax thread that once they'd screwed as much as they could out of people in social housing and those on benefits that they'd be looking at other avenues to raise money.

This won't be the last of it, it's just the start.

To those people who thought Bedroom Tax was a fine and fair idea: watch your backs. And your bank balances.
Posted By: Mark Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 10th Apr 2013 6:14pm
Ive just got the letter through the door.

I found that if you want to enter the scheme late you still have to pay in full. BUT if your bin is not collected then you would only be compensated. Wouldn't it be fair to have the same fee's for both sides.

We dont use the Brown Bin in all fairness.
But my partners mum has a front garden and a back garden can not drive and is a OAP so she is stuck. She has no choice but to pay.

My point being the old and the ones who can not drive end up paying or have limited options.

I wonder if i can just put my green cuttings down the side of my green bin.

I hope someone creates a legal challenge to this. Why should we pay when i would imagine other counties do not?
Posted By: starakita Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 10th Apr 2013 7:30pm
you can put cuttings in the green bin.I only had hedges didn't have a garden,thats what all the neighbours did no one had brown bins
Posted By: chris7777 Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 10th Apr 2013 8:18pm
Disgusting! What will they put a tax in next? £35 a year......I don't think so! No..... I wont be paying that.......I don't always put my bin out cos there's not much in it, and in the winter hardley ever! So why should I pay £35......I'll just go back to before we had brown bins........just wondering if they're going to get us for green and grey bins! what is council tax for?
Posted By: oscarpops Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 10th Apr 2013 9:15pm
I'm not paying £35 quid to get my brown bin emptied it only gets full in the summer when the grass gets cut my back garden is quite big.I'll just go to the tip it's only down the road
Posted By: RedLance Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 10th Apr 2013 9:18pm
cheeky b*stards will be charging people for spare rooms next somad
Posted By: Fireblade Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 10th Apr 2013 10:32pm
The council website said this service is optional,so if you
dont pay,your bin wont be collected.And they will take away your
old brown bin in the summer,!!!!!!!!
We are not paying it anyway,who's with us think
Posted By: oscarpops Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 10th Apr 2013 11:04pm
Well it will be one less bin taking up space
Posted By: lord_thomas Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 11th Apr 2013 12:17am
Who? name and shame this person who created this charge, I have a house and large garden, and accepted I paid higher council tax because of the garden. believing my garden waste was calculated in the rates on the property, before it was green, brown or grey bins and my garden waste would be removed in my dustbin, Will the council now reduce my rates? Council tax for not fulfilling their duty to remove my garden waste which they have done fore the last 40 years
Posted By: lord_thomas Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 11th Apr 2013 12:20am
Register for payment then within 14 days cancel it to annoy the council and keep a person in a job
Posted By: lord_thomas Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 11th Apr 2013 12:22am
Originally Posted by RedLance
cheeky b*stards will be charging people for spare rooms next somad
take the door off it is open plan
Posted By: vickis83 Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 11th Apr 2013 6:32am
Just buy a composter I paid a tenner for mine so I never use the brown bin anyway and I have a lot of good growing compost x
Posted By: Sallybear Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 12th Apr 2013 6:43am
Not read all of the comments here, but I am glad this has happened. i live in an attic flat, why should some of my council tax go towards emptying other peoples bins. If your abode is lucky enough to be furnished with a garden, that you look after yourself then £35 a year isn't much to have someone else take your waste away. If you only have a small plot, then gang together with some neighbours and get a bin between a few of you. It's not hard. It will foster neighbourly friendships.

People just can't help finding something to whinge about - again!!
Posted By: SUExx Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 12th Apr 2013 6:53am
[quote=Sallybear]Not read all of the comments here, but I am glad this has happened. i live in an attic flat, why should some of my council tax go towards emptying other peoples bins.

Suppose I could say why should I pay for certain things through my taxes.
Posted By: Bennie Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 12th Apr 2013 6:49pm
It's a further increase in council tax.
Posted By: granny Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 12th Apr 2013 8:14pm
Sallybear, as much as I love you...... my family don't go to nursery,schools,or higher education any longer. Neither do I use the leisure centres etc. We can't really think in the way you descibe, we would end up with a terrible council administration disaster. e.g. the do's and the dont's, the will's and the wont's smile
off topic next: The parking fees in Mold are 20p.so how can they do it?
Posted By: kevinhit Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 12th Apr 2013 8:55pm
We wont be paying any fees to empty our brown bin. Paying enough in CT. Reading the leaflet today made me laugh, its like they have made it up as theyve gone along! Not paying.
Unless I'm missing something, why should a household without a garden subsidise those with a garden?

If you use it, pay for it.

Hence why the poll tax was probably a good idea...

<ducks>
Posted By: Zubee Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 14th Apr 2013 8:26pm
Hello Boris.
Posted By: Dilly Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 14th Apr 2013 8:41pm
Originally Posted by Zubee
Hello Boris.

well spotted Zubee
Posted By: missmahjong Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 14th Apr 2013 9:08pm
Another 'troll' reappearing ......
Pardon?

It was a genuine question.

I don't have a garden so perhaps all the £35 (£30 if paid online) will free up some cash for other things and we'll all be better off in other areas?

Just a thought.
Posted By: Beaty59 Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 14th Apr 2013 10:25pm
Just sent this to bin collection department

[email protected]

Dear Sir/madam

Due to your unfair policy of now Charging for collection of garden waste I no longer require a brown bin at my property, I will arrange for collection of garden waste by a private contractor as from today. Please could you arrange for my brown bin to be collected from my property by Monday 29th April at the latest. As this bin is the property of yourselves if it is not collected by this date I will be charging you £35 per week , or part of, for storage of the bin on my property.

Yours Sincerely

Put name and address here

If everyone does this the cost of removing and storing all the bins would outweigh any money they'd make. Lets all do it....
Posted By: RightyTwoDrams Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 14th Apr 2013 10:43pm
Cut off your nose to spite your face much?

How do you think they'd want to reclaim losses?

Posted By: oscarpops Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 14th Apr 2013 11:01pm
I read somewhere the council is hoping to raise a million pounds for the brown bin collection so if we all give our brown bins back it will backfire on them power to the people
Posted By: RightyTwoDrams Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 14th Apr 2013 11:25pm
They won't make any money and you won't get a collection.

Then they look elsewhere for £1m.

We all lose.
Posted By: Dilly Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 14th Apr 2013 11:42pm
Originally Posted by RightyTwoDrams
They won't make any money and you won't get a collection.

Then they look elsewhere for £1m.

We all lose.

You sound just someone else that once graced us with their wisdom, wonder who that could be ?
Is it a rarity for someone to arrive with a little common sense? Or to ask questions or look at things from a different point of view?

I'll head over to some other areas to join in with the oh-woe-is-me, it's-thatchers-fault, where-will-I-get-my-£14-a-week bollocks.

Posted By: Zubee Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 15th Apr 2013 5:08am
Boris/MadonnaFan, we know who you are!

Peeps, don't feed the troll noonoo
I feel sorry for anyone who signs up here with more than half a brain.

The eye of suspicion must fall on them all.

Shame.

Why you couldn't have exercised your brain instead and had a bit of a healthy chat about current affairs.
Posted By: Zubee Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 15th Apr 2013 5:28am
There's nothing healthy about your posts Boris lamethrower
My name isn't Boris.

Is debate not healthy?

It's far too one-sided on here.
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 15th Apr 2013 8:03am
The Wirral Borough Council website states that you will be informed at a later date what the arrangements will be to collect the brown bins no longer in use.

Righty Two Drams has pointed out you can save £5 in the first year of the new scheme but you have to apply as stated online and this has a cutoff date in May.

At present in Sheffield, garden waste collection is £60 a year.

I only have my brown bin emptied twice a year so will not pay the new charge.
Posted By: tonyh Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 15th Apr 2013 2:34pm
I think people would be willing to pay if the collection service that was being offered actually happened, unfortunately it's very hit and miss wether they turn up or not. as for everyone handing their bins back, well that won't happen because the sense of community and everyone sticking together has long gone in this country which is why we all moan at the latest tax ruses by governments and councils,and yet don't do anything about it.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 15th Apr 2013 2:45pm
In this "so-called fair" society it's only fair that if other councils have made a charge for emptying brown bins that ours should
(tongue in cheek)
I rarely use mine but it could come in handy for storing spades, forks etc or if your green bin is full you could store any extra bags in it until the green bin is empty again,

seeyu lamethrower lamethrower
lights touchpaper and steps back
Posted By: Mark Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 15th Apr 2013 4:41pm
Back bag into Green Bin Just like the good old days smile

I would love to see this back fire on the council going green has just gone going greedy frown
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 15th Apr 2013 6:47pm
Stick around. You might get to like us! There are quite a mixed bunch on the chat and quite diverse opinions.
Posted By: gingevans Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 15th Apr 2013 8:33pm
There is alot of money to be made in waste, waste management & recycling these days. The council already have us WORKING for them separating our waste into different bins (we're basically providing unpaid work for the council waste segragation dept) which saves the council a significant amount of cash per year.

Think about all those metal food tins, glass jars & cardboard boxes we send to recycling plants via our council & the tonnes & tonnes of scrap metal, wood, cardboard & any electrical devices - which actually contain a small amount of Gold, that we send to the recycling centres (tip).
This stuff is worth a fortune on an industrial scale. Do the council sell this ASSET (as it's no longer waste) or just give it away. If it's sold then, surely the amount should offset or subsidise some of the cost of any bin collections, therefore lowering council tax. If they give it away, then what a fool this council really are- literally chucking away gold (& other precious resources).

The service they provide is similar to the 'rag & bone man' or that fella who comes round shouting "any old iron!". The council basically scavange our waste & possibly sell it on to recycling merchants. Where does this money go??????????????????

Waste is no longer worthless.......as the saying goes....
One Man's rubbish, is another Man's treasure.

As for the brown bin tax, this is daylight robbery.
I don't need a brown bin as i only have a yard but, all that garden waste collected across wirral is also worth something in the form of good quality compost once decomposed. I've just paid £4 for a small bag of compost for potting plants... What are the council doing with our waste?
If there was no money to be made in segragating garden waste from daily rubbish then, the council would not have gave us wirral folk FREE brown bins to do it in the first place, as the garden waste would quite easily decompose in landfill & i'm thinking it would be cheaper to send to landfill than a sh*tty nappy.
My opinion is that it's all a big con- waste isn't segragated to save the council money, it's to make money.

Think about that! GGRRRRR!!!!

Posted By: DodgyDave Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 15th Apr 2013 10:14pm
Total Joke, we only have a small front garden and a back yard, so we only put it out about 3-4 times a year. We won't be paying the £35 but think we might keep the bin in the back and use it for compost bin etc.
Posted By: saltytom Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 16th Apr 2013 8:09am
As I said it back to putting it in the green bin, Going back to last year the council asked the people of the wirral to take part in a survey.

A question was asked "Are you prepared to pay for certain services" Guess what we are now being asked to pay, Why because of 6000+ who took part a majority said YES. I said No

This is only the start.

Before anyone says "but we have a population of 311000" they only respond to those who take part
Posted By: granny Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 16th Apr 2013 8:27am
Originally Posted by saltytom
As I said it back to putting it in the green bin, Going back to last year the council asked the people of the wirral to take part in a survey.

A question was asked "Are you prepared to pay for certain services" Guess what we are now being asked to pay, Why because of 6000+ who took part a majority said YES. I said No

This is only the start.
. ..
Before anyone says "but we have a population of 311000" they only respond to those who take part

Agreed, plus I believe there was a particular question on the survey, about charges for brown bins.
I think they intend to remove all the unused brown bins (hence, my son has alresdy had his pinched) If you have to give one back, then you still have another! I can see a lot being piched off those who will pay the £35. It will be like a 'supermarket sweep' for brown bins.
The second point which has been mentioned in an earlier post is 'recycling'. That was the whole purpose of brown bins. The blinking fuss over some poor folk who put a potato in a brown bin etc. Now 'all change' and it can go in together with the dog food, gravy, chicken bones and any old shite.
Makes my blood boil, and Granny doesn't often swear, but they are a bunch of f..ing plonkers. Not one of them could organise a 'piss up in a brewery'

Not only that, this council have wasted money for years. They are now trying to put all the blame on the present day government and making us pay for their own gross mismanagement.
All the stuff from our grey bins goes to China, did you know?
Posted By: granny Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 16th Apr 2013 8:41am
No, I for one didn't but it doesn't surprise me. They way in which we are 'cosying up' to China, we will end up with a swop system in place and swop the humble, grey bin, materials for radioactive waste.......boom!!!!
My my what a cynical bunch you all are grin
Posted By: granny Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 16th Apr 2013 9:09am

and one could ask why??? grin
Swapping grey bins for radioactive waste to blow things up.

Maybe they're going to make the IED out of all the brown bins people send back!
Posted By: granny Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 16th Apr 2013 9:39am
Originally Posted by granny

and one could ask why??? grin

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8469249.stm

Yeh, off topic.
(That makes sense though!)
Posted By: granny Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 16th Apr 2013 11:39am
Just realised that my previous posts on here this am, may have been seen as a sarcastic response to the topic called 'Boston'. I can assure you that at that time I had not read any of those posts. Since going out to get a newspaper, it is understandable that my posts on this topic, could have been taken in the wrong context.
Apologies , as I would never make a joke out of such a devastaing tragedy.
Posted By: granny Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 16th Apr 2013 10:35pm
How strange. Sons brown bin has re-appeared after being missing for a week. Mysteriously turned up outside his house!
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 16th Apr 2013 10:56pm
I wonder where It`s "Bin"?
Whoever stole it doesn't need it anymore as they won't be paying the £30/35?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 17th Apr 2013 7:28am
Lazy people.

Get yo asses down the tip if you don't want to pay a couple of pence towards bin emptying.

Love the way people take it for granted that things will be free forever.

I oppose the decision also but you don't see me bitching about it, nothing we say will change their minds.

no
Posted By: granny Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 17th Apr 2013 11:48am
Oh Stevie, weevie, who are you calling lazy? wink

To my mind the issue is the fact that originally, we were forced into having these brown bins, for the sake of the environment. Figures/statistics etc. had to be met. They were free and our green bin service was reduced from every week to every two weeks. A service which we pay for in our council tax.
Now all of a sudden, the environmental angle doesn't seem to be of so much importance any longer and we can do what we like with our garden rubbish, so long as we pay for a brown bin to be emptied if we want the service which we have had previously,but we didn't ask for anyway. Phew!
I'll pay it because I have a big garden and it is impossible for me to take all the rubbish to the tip. So my council tax has increased by £5 per month and now an additional £35 for brown bins. So overall,it's gone UP by £6.50 per month. Seems a bit unfair when those who think 'bin tax'is a good idea are probably paying hardly anything towards council tax anyway, but reaping the rewards of all the other services which we all contribute to, whether we like it or not....That's the whole idea...or it was!

You could grow some nice potatoes in your brown bins. I wouldn't give them back, as one day you may decide you need the service and you'll have to buy another one.
Posted By: saltytom Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 2nd May 2013 6:30am
As a registered Twitter user I have just read Cllr Stuart Kelly

@CllrSKelly

Charging for garden waste via a bin tax is set to flop as only 9428 people have signed up to pay £35.
The council had hoped for 30,000

@wallaseygc
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 4th May 2013 1:17pm
This shows why they want/need 30,000 to sign up Link

They are a clucking joke
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 4th May 2013 2:31pm
so the service will run at a loss?? stupid.
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 4th May 2013 4:52pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
so the service will run at a loss?? stupid.

Just imagine if these people were running a company, losing money, taking backhanders, bribery & corruption, pocketing excessive expenses + luxuries. Then think if the people they represent had the chance to vote them out but are to scared and let them continue . . . that would be a very silly place to live hey!!!
Posted By: lord_thomas Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 4th May 2013 10:39pm
It is reported today the clowncil are appointing someone on £30,000 a year to now run the brown bin scheme.
WHAT IDIOTS are running this clowncil the system cannot support this payment
Posted By: saltytom Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 5th May 2013 8:48am
The mayor of North Tyneside Council has just removed the £20 bin charge.
Posted By: Mark Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 8th May 2013 1:03pm
i wont be paying. Good to read the tide could be turning.
Posted By: oscarpops Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 8th May 2013 8:45pm
Me and my other half went to McCoy's and got an oil drum to burn our garden waste cost £10.00 the bloke who works there said they were selling quite a lot because people wont pay the bin tax
Posted By: fish5133 Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 8th May 2013 11:58pm
Think I will pay but deduct £35 from my council tax payments. Think a few bags of grass cuttings will just go straight in the green bin.

Posted By: granny Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 9th May 2013 10:04am
Just a few? At least one a week and more, if I can manage it.

It was the previous government who introduced the laws on 'bin tax' but in 2010 Eric Pickles planned to scrap the laws. So, it would be interesting to know how far that has proceeded. Is it legal or illegal? If it is illegal, then once again it shows how dim and uninformed our local council is! Even to include it in the survey, which they now blame for the result.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/bin-taxes-consigned-to-the-scrapheap

Posted By: Moonstar Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 9th May 2013 11:41am
So there will not be a charge on brown bin collection (theoretically). Does that mean the £30k post can be deleted too?

It seems they have in mind to remove the 25% discount in Council Tax for those who live alone to compensate.

If you end up needing care and have any money the current tax will be £72k.

No wonder people are leaving the country in droves.
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 9th May 2013 6:18pm
what about those people who have already paid into this !
Posted By: McFlurry Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 9th May 2013 8:54pm
Ive payed it, maybe ive been premature. Need the garden stuff gone tho.
Posted By: Zubee Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 9th May 2013 9:39pm
Wouldn't it be strange if everybody on Wikiwirral who objects to this brown bin tax, turned up at exactly the same time at the Town Hall with their bins, to give them back?

Obviously this would be as a good will gesture, to save the Council money not having to collect them.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 9th May 2013 9:53pm
Sadly most people don't have a car with wide enough doors for a standard wheelie bin to fit inside their car. May fit on a bus though :-)
Posted By: McFlurry Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 9th May 2013 10:09pm
LOL @ bus.

As long as we find an OAP to take them for us so its free.
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 10th May 2013 3:19pm
Took my bin on the bus, only when I got there I realised it should of been the brown bin, Damn.

Attached picture abin.jpg
Posted By: jerdubig Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 10th May 2013 10:18pm
Brilliant .Gave me a laugh. Me I will be composting myself senseless Not Paying it
Posted By: McFlurry Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 11th May 2013 7:47am
I've paid it because for £35 I can't be arsed with the hassle.

Brilliant pic of taking it on the bus though, I did chuckle... But really... Is it worth the effort?

If you're like me you'll share an alley with a neighbour, I said to mine he can use my bin we only have small gardens. He will pay the £35 next year if it comes to it.
Posted By: missmoneypenny Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 11th May 2013 11:02am
The council won t get anymore money out of me this should be included in the council tax.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 12th May 2013 6:58pm
Now that Wirral council has decided [above our head ] to CHARGE for garden waste [brown bin] ,my brown bin has been put outside for the last 6 weeks without ever being emptied, ONE MORE FRIDAY to go...before their deadline..PAY TO REMOVE , when I phoned which cost me /an arm and a leg ' I got a UN=INTERERESTED person saying ...ohhh just put bin out again ..STOP. THINK PEOPLE ..COUNCILS WHERE SET UP ORIGINALLY TO SUPPORT THE LOCAL VILLAGE/TOWN ..NOT HAVE 'AWAY DAYS' IN OTHER COUNTRIES JUST TO TWIN US? WAKE UP WIRRAL ..WE ARE BEING CONNED BY A MINORITY! [dont worry to much about who wins or doesn't thats why they make tv programmes like Downton Abbey] know your place!and dont forget!
Posted By: jmike Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 12th May 2013 11:08pm
Originally Posted by phlegm
Now that Wirral council has decided [above our head ] to CHARGE for garden waste [brown bin] ,my brown bin has been put outside for the last 6 weeks without ever being emptied, ONE MORE FRIDAY to go...before their deadline..PAY TO REMOVE , when I phoned which cost me /an arm and a leg ' I got a UN=INTERERESTED person saying ...ohhh just put bin out again ..STOP. THINK PEOPLE ..COUNCILS WHERE SET UP ORIGINALLY TO SUPPORT THE LOCAL VILLAGE/TOWN ..NOT HAVE 'AWAY DAYS' IN OTHER COUNTRIES JUST TO TWIN US? WAKE UP WIRRAL ..WE ARE BEING CONNED BY A MINORITY! [dont worry to much about who wins or doesn't thats why they make tv programmes like Downton Abbey] know your place!and dont forget!

Councils are Corporate Businesses. Originally set up by the towns business men, to keep order and allow for the smooth running of their towns businesses and keeping their vested interests served. These organisations grew and became tax collecting instruments both for the treasurary and to keep the local corporate council funded. Everyone became a stakeholder (shareholder) by the rules these bodies made, after being given the power to do so by STATUES in Parliament.
A stakeholder in any corporate business is entitled to vote for members to represent them at the boardroom (or Cabinet).

Wirral borough Council has a Corporate Plan. (check WBC web site).
Wirral borough Council can be held responsible for Corporate Manslaughter.

Before Wirral borough Council, their used to be Wallasey and Birkenhead Corporations, now amalgamated and change of name.

And yes I find it amazingly disgusting that there are have been and are ongoing cuts to Centers that deal with people with leaning difficulties, whilst Councilors and and staff get free lessons on how to handle the Media( this might make thing easier to tell lies for them) and I also hear of new IPads for the same at yours and those with learning difficulties expense.
Posted By: gerry1 Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 15th May 2013 10:27pm

MORE DOOM AND GLOOM TO COME
http://www.wirral.gov.uk/my-service...en-waste-bins/question-and-answers#green

? Can I put garden waste in the green wheelie bin?
We encourage residents to recycle their garden waste were possible. This can be achieved through the collection service or if you choose not to subscribe you may consider home composting and waste can also be taken to any of the household recycling centres in Wirral.

As a last option, some garden waste can be placed in the green general waste bin. However, the Council’s existing rules on presenting bins for collection will still apply. The Council will review its decision not to ban small quantities of garden waste from the residual waste collection on a regular basis to ensure the waste collection system does not become abused as a result of too much garden waste entering the system.
However, a ban may become necessary in the future if waste related problems arise.

Bins must be presented on collection day with the bin lid closed, and no side waste should be presented; additional bagged waste will not be collected.
Should residents not follow these rules their bin will not be emptied.

If you choose to add garden waste to the green general waste bin, it is important that you still have room for your general waste.

The collection crews will also continue to monitor grey recycling bins for contamination (the wrong items placed in the recycling bin).
Contaminated bins will not be emptied and the Council will initiate enforcement action on any household that presents grey bins containing any amount of garden waste.

I am going to breed Herons in mine and they then can't empty it
so they can not charge me. ha ha ha.

Attached picture june chasing a heron 023_0001.jpg
Posted By: Moonstar Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 15th May 2013 10:36pm
Ve haf vays off making you.................
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 15th May 2013 10:46pm
Good idea, I just caught a Heron and I`ll stick it to the bin. Erm.. but what do I do with all my waste if they don't empty my bin?. feed it to heron?.

Attached picture aheron.JPG
Posted By: granny Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 16th May 2013 8:38am
There should be a whole new bunch of jobs going. 'Bin Police', or will it mean that the already employed waste collectors, will be getting more dosh, because the job despcription has changed, and they will have more power and authority over us? Moonstar is quite correct! raftl
Posted By: granny Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 16th May 2013 9:04am
Alternitvely, don't fill the green bins up with kitchen waste, get the compost bins back into action. Encourage the local rats and mice back, they will have feast on the menu.

Let's look after our wildlife, they need us!
Posted By: gerry1 Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 16th May 2013 9:47am
yes look after the wildlife.

Attached picture new council binmen.JPG
Posted By: Kieran1981 Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 21st May 2013 9:23pm
It's a stealthy way to increase the council tax without actually increasing it directly. Best thing to do is dump it in the green bin, it will rot soon enough anyway, no harm done. I suspect Wirral council will start spot checking bins every so often and fine people.
Posted By: oscarpops Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 22nd May 2013 9:32pm
Well my brown bin got emptied for the last time today because I won't pay the bin tax.
Posted By: McFlurry Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 22nd May 2013 10:46pm
Come and put it in mine pal, I'm not a stingebag.
Posted By: DavidB Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 23rd May 2013 6:32pm
They missed a bin collection at my mate's house two weeks ago. They have only ever missed a collection a couple of times due to the snow. Seems like they are blatantly not collecting bins.
My parents are not paying for the collection anymore. Only 1,000 of 30,000 set up have signed up.
Originally Posted by phlegm
35.00 per year its a complete joke,30.00 if you pay online.I take mine to bidston waste.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 25th May 2013 12:36pm
Save £10 on your brown bin collection.
£5 discount paying online, and only £20 for a second bin. Providing the council dont take the brown bins you could arrange with neighbour to have their brown bin as the second bin.Would just mean putting them both outside your house every fortnight.
Posted By: McFlurry Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 25th May 2013 7:59pm
Fcuk me, the lengths people will go to in order to save a couple of quid...

Posted By: jerdubig Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 25th May 2013 8:14pm
Well these postings have made me laugh re brown bin, as for me I will be composting away and as someone else suggested turning the brown bin into a water butt once I've worked out how to do it
I've got a spare green bin without a wheel. My back is going to look like a scrap yard for unwanted council bins
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 25th May 2013 8:17pm
Awww, a wheelie bin without a wheel. Hang on, that's just an ordinary bin!. Cant fool us that easily LOL
Posted By: starakita Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 25th May 2013 8:21pm
my front looked like a junk yard for bins 4 brown ones 3 green ones & 3 grey ones all rotten & stinking got council to shift them when I moved in they gave me a green & grey one but I said no to a brown one as I knew the stupid bin tax was comming in.I am now waiting to borrow oscarpops lawnmower so I can cut my grass & its going in the green bin
Posted By: jerdubig Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 25th May 2013 8:46pm
I wonder what they did with the 10 bins they took from yours. At least you wont have to make a decision what to do with the extra brown bin. I can see the bin men will be spending a lot of time checking what we have sneaked into the green bin
Posted By: starakita Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 25th May 2013 9:46pm
probably cleaned them up they were minging & gave them out as replacements well I wasn't allowed new ones,I had to have crappy second hand ones
Posted By: Anonymous Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 26th May 2013 9:15am
Well the last free collection came and went on Friday and guess what NO COLLECTION AGAIN , shame on you Wirral waste services.
Can anybody tell me how much Council Tax has risen by over the last 5 years?
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 8th Jun 2013 10:19am
Dunno but does anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced garden composter?. The few places I looked last week had sold out for some reason.
Posted By: granny Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 8th Jun 2013 10:38am
In 2011/12 and 2012/13 it hasn't risen at all.The Government have funded all the councils, in an effort to freeze council tax rises. This year 2013/14 our council refused certain funding offered by the Governement, I suppose that was in a way of making a 'statement'.. So let the people pay and blame the Government.. for the councils previous bad management of accounts.
Can't say about overall 5 years as you request, but sure someone else will. For me Band D has gone up by £5 month for this next financial year.
On the surface for us it would seem it has only increased by e.g. £5 a month since 2011 but that is not really correct as the council had the 'dosh' from the Government, anyway.
In my opinion, WBC council now has far to much leaning toward the other side of the Mersey which will cost us hugely in the long term. We will finance Liverpool once they have underhandedly set the ball into motion. Amalgamation of services.

The garden waste charges..... well lets wait and see how many more loose their jobs. If people aren't paying for their bins to be emptied, the service provided by Biffa (?) will not be needed as previously, neither will the amount of vehicles.What previously took a week to do, will be done in two/three days. I hope the council will then be able to re-negotiate terms for a new and cheaper contract with them.
It was a bit of a loaded question to be honest becasue I had already looked at the answer smile
2009 - 2010 the increase was 4.5% overall (4.4% WBC / 5% Police / 3.9% Fire
2010 - 2011 the increase was 1.7% overall (1.3% WBC / 3% Police / 4.9% Fire
2011 - 2012 the increase was 0% overall
2012 - 2013 the increase was .05% overall (0% WBC / 3% Police / 4% Fire)
2013 - 2014 the increase was 2% overall 2% WBC / 2% Police / 2% Fire)

So............ Would you prefer a complusory extra 2% on EVERYONE's bill and carry on with garden collection regardless of whether you use it or not or 3% voluntary increase on only those people who use the garden collection.

There is no doubt that WBC are not perfect but I really believe that they are damned if they do and damned if they don't on here.
Posted By: granny Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 8th Jun 2013 3:39pm
Softy, we have already paid for the Brown Bin service in our increased council tax this year, the extra is just an add on.Those who pay their council tax and are not going to have a brown bin service could maybe request a refund! The whole system of consolidated council tax for everyone, means we ALL pay toward the services that benefit the whole community. Education, School buses, lollypop ladies/gents, Day Centres, etc.etc., If those who don't use those services were given the choice to opt out,imagine how much would fall on the young families and the vulnerable.
In this case, I would imagine that the £35 has fallen more on pensioners in the borough, who have no other means or ability, to dispose of their garden waste.In all honesty, is that a fair system?
Regard to figures, WBC council tax rates are higher than many others boroughs anyway, therefore the overall percentage, does not give a true figure, if it is based on what we pay in this borough against other boroughs, where they paid less to start with . Therefore 2% increase in others council tax,would be less than a 2% increase in WBC council tax. .....if you get my meaning.
SO yes they are damned if they do, as it's another way of fiddling the figures...which they were never very good at!

Can't even put potatoes in brown bin! laugh
Posted By: fish5133 Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 10th Jun 2013 9:45pm
just some stats. i have 8 regular grass cuts to do for householders and half have paid for their brown bin. The other 4 have not bothered
Posted By: oscarpops Re: wirral council new garden waste charges - 11th Jun 2013 9:58pm
We went to the tip last week the man said to us you haven't got garden waste have you we said just grass cuttings and some other stuff the garden waste skip was full so there must be lots of people not paying brown bin tax
© Wirral-Wikiwirral