Forums
Posted By: chris7777 Unemployed to pay council tax! - 26th Mar 2013 6:42pm
We're is this government going to hit next!!
First bedroom tax now unemployed to pay council tax! I always thought unemployment benifit was to help you to live while you looked for another job! Luckily I don't come into this now as I'm retired, but my son is having to pay this council tax, I know he's not the only one, but this will put a lot of people in hardship, can't this government see what they're doing? Obviously not. Mr Cameron should try to live on what the unemployed have to live on, I feel so sorry for those who are having to pay bedroom tax and council tax out of there benifit, and some are having to leave homes they have been in for years! It's not right!!
Posted By: peodude Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 26th Mar 2013 6:57pm
They are not made to pay all of it, £160 per month or whatever, it is a contribution towards it, which is about £5 a week. It's nothing new either, when i was on it i had the same, the majority is paid, but you have to pay some. Likewise, not all my rent was covered either. That was about £7 a week.

Benefits do need cutting down, it is far too easy to live off benefits, even as a single person with the minimum benefits. Why get a job when you are comfy on benefits? Give people motivation. There are jobs out there, despite what people say, it's just that too many aren't willing to the demeanial cleaning jobs etc.
Posted By: j_demo Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 26th Mar 2013 7:16pm
Originally Posted by chris7777
We're is this government going to hit next!!
First bedroom tax now unemployed to pay council tax! I always thought unemployment benifit was to help you to live while you looked for another job! Luckily I don't come into this now as I'm retired, but my son is having to pay this council tax, I know he's not the only one, but this will put a lot of people in hardship, can't this government see what they're doing? Obviously not. Mr Cameron should try to live on what the unemployed have to live on, I feel so sorry for those who are having to pay bedroom tax and council tax out of there benifit, and some are having to leave homes they have been in for years! It's not right!!

in the immortal words of Bill Gates: "life isn't fair, get used to it"

i'm not saying it's right or wrong, it just is how it is. unfortunately.

Originally Posted by peodude
They are not made to pay all of it, £160 per month or whatever, it is a contribution towards it, which is about £5 a week. It's nothing new either, when i was on it i had the same, the majority is paid, but you have to pay some. Likewise, not all my rent was covered either. That was about £7 a week.

Benefits do need cutting down, it is far too easy to live off benefits, even as a single person with the minimum benefits. Why get a job when you are comfy on benefits? Give people motivation. There are jobs out there, despite what people say, it's just that too many aren't willing to the demeanial cleaning jobs etc.

i agree with him ^

having been on benefits for a few years in the past, i concur that it is far too easy to recluse into the passive lifestyle and live like that, but being someone who has expensive hobbies (mostly guitar related) i needed a job to find that so got off my backside and finally got one.
Posted By: MadonnaFan Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 26th Mar 2013 7:21pm
Breaking News!!!!! Employed have to pay tax, NI, rent/mortgage, council tax, bills... the list goes on.

Someone call the police.
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 26th Mar 2013 7:27pm
Well I have claimed unemployment benifit in the past and I never had to pay rent or tax out of it! And we're is this £160 month come from? If my son had to pay that he would never be able to live, and if you had to pay rent and tax you must of got more benefits! And by the way.....no one on unemployment lives comfy! I know....I've been there and it's no holiday!!
Maybe there are jobs out there but do you know how many apply for one job!!my son applys for jobs after job...he phones, emails, writes, searches the Internet.....and most don't have the decency to reply!!!!You
Posted By: Sallybear Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 26th Mar 2013 7:28pm
I always thought unemployment benifit was to help you to live while you looked for another job!

It is!! But some people decide to sit on it for years turning down job after job while the wait for the 'right' job. Face it, bedroom tax is not something people have to pay, it is simply a reduction in HOUSING BENEFIT, for Council tenants and Housing Association Tenants ONLY who get the benefit, not renters of private properties.

I was made redundant, I was given HB for 13 weeks, this was enough time to find more work, if I had stayed unemployed then i would have had the amount reduced. And fair enough! There are plenty of jobs out there, people are too fussy. So what if you have a degree in whatever, if you can't get a job in that field then tough, get a job in whatever and while working keep looking for that 'better' job.

Benefits are not some kind of hand out, they are an entitlement to support hard working people when they are in their time of need, too often these days people start their working age life on benefits and it never changes.

I am not saying I support when people in really harsh situations that we are reading about daily on the news who are having their HB reduced (because it is NOT a tax and no one pays it, it's just a reduction in the support you get) is a good thing, and I am not a conservative but I am a hard working person and benefits have supported me a few times in my life, they are NOT a source of income, unless you are unable to work, but thats another conversation!
Posted By: chris7777 Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 26th Mar 2013 7:46pm
Well all I'm going to say is that I've seen my son apply for job after job only to be turned down....thats all....I'm not getting into this....I know what I see......
Posted By: j_demo Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 26th Mar 2013 7:57pm
Well all I'm going to say is that I've seen my son apply for job after job only to be turned down....thats all....I'm not getting into this....I know what I see......

that's fine, but have you considered he keeps getting rejected because his CV isn't good enough?
tell him to think about here
Posted By: raymondo Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 26th Mar 2013 8:25pm
if your forced into a job you dont want to do will you do that job to the best of your ability.......i think not. mr cameron gets housing benifit and a food alouance ON TOP OF A WAGE so where is the justice in that? he needs to try living on the money he offeres then claws back! STOP THE HAND OUTS TO THE IMIGRANTS AND SENDING WHAT LITTLE MONEY WE HAVE TO BAIL OUT OTHER COUNTRYS THE PR**K!!!!!
Posted By: AdamEvans Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 26th Mar 2013 8:52pm
There are jobs out there, despite what people say, it's just that too many aren't willing to the demeanial cleaning jobs etc.

Correct, there are jobs out there.
Incorrect that they are demenial.

Being a checkout girl in Adsa with a law degree or being a public toilet cleaner with a masters degree may hurt some peoples pride but you will get A LOT more respect from rolling up your sleeves and doing a bit rather than sitting on your arse and doing nothing.

Doing temporary work and having lots of different jobs on a CV isn't a bad thing. It means you are a WORKER not a SHIRKER

As I said in a previous post (an got slated for it) When writing a CV you want to put a theoretical massive PICK ME at the top.
Mention anything you like to do, moreover, if it is a bit weird or different. It compells an employer to want to give you an interview to find out more about you.

(Morris dancing is a good one!!)

Posted By: peodude Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 26th Mar 2013 8:55pm
And we're is this £160 month come from?

£160 a month is roughly round the price council tax is for most normal everyday working people. No-one said he would have to pay that, he will pay around 10% of that.
Posted By: sam_w Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 26th Mar 2013 10:24pm
This is the same as the bedroom tax thread, people are complaining because the FREE money they are handed every week/month is being reduced. Diddums I pay stupid amounts of tax everymonth, then bills/mortgage... I dont complain about them rising!

If hes being rejected for every job maybe hes aiming to high? Or could it be his CV? It might be worth having a read over it and double checking it to ensure it is 100%

Has he tried agency work? Getting into a factory and working on the production line. Between college and starting my apprenticeship I worked as a packer at a factory, being there for 3months enlightened me to ensure I never went back and tried my hardest from then on.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 26th Mar 2013 10:33pm
"Morris Dancing is a good one"

-what if the potential employer is an avid Morris Dancer and the applicant hasn't a clue!!! Hmm,honesty is best I think re. Hobbies.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 26th Mar 2013 10:36pm
And we're is this £160 month come from?

he will pay around 10% of that.
22% of ctx bill.
Posted By: AdamEvans Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 26th Mar 2013 11:14pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
"Morris Dancing is a good one"

-what if the potential employer is an avid Morris Dancer and the applicant hasn't a clue!!! Hmm,honesty is best I think re. Hobbies.

The trick is to be as "honest" as you can

My CV says I speak English French Polish and Arabic

I am not lying by the way. I can hold a reasonable conversation in all the above. But just not completely 100% fluently

The employer gave me an interview because he wanted to ask me about why these languages (Polish and Arabic) they are not exactly languages people learn at school

Anyway once I was in the interview the main thing for any company is sell sell sell followed by customer services and then more sellng by adding on

For example. If someone is buying a curry then sell them the toilet roll too
If someone is buying a part to fit to their car then sell them a box of gloves too
Posted By: AdamEvans Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 26th Mar 2013 11:26pm
Anyway I try my upmost hardest to get a job so that I don't have to rely on the tax payer

I put so much effort into what I do and all of my possessions are owned outright

I think the whole 'there are no jobs' is a load of BS

if I had to roll my sleeves up and shovel sh1t I would do it because I would rather feel like I have earnt my money rather than being given it for nothing

I get great pleasure at the end of the day after coming home to the house that I pay my mortgage on and eat the food that I paid for and wear the clothes that I have earnt.
It feels great to actually earn my money. But it feels better to spend it :-P
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 26th Mar 2013 11:29pm
Ah, thats why we differ in viewpoint. A key desirability factor in my field (not Comping as my Profile suggests-lol) is Congruence. smile
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 27th Mar 2013 6:27pm
I seem to recall that when the Tories got into power that Labour said these words.

"What you are aiming to do is make the public an us versus them society, you will make one set of the public despise the other for your own benefit"

I personally believe that the Tories are doing everything to benefit their own pockets and by hitting out and making the easy targets vulnerable it distracts from the facts that they are the only winners and whether you work or not we are all worse off. The are bullies on a massive scale and separating the working and non working is like picking out the "popular" kids in school who like sheep follow the bully.
Posted By: Littlemink Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 27th Mar 2013 7:53pm
I agree ⬆ The Daily Mail is the tories little wooden spoon too
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 27th Mar 2013 11:19pm
Yes plenty of jobs
40 hrs minimum wage =£248

Less Tax and NI 30
Rent 100
C Tax 20
gas elec water 35
bus fares 25
food 40

Result £2 in debt/week

no car, no holiday, no TV, no drinking, no hobbies (walkings free), no more clothes, no more shoes, no life insurance, no buildings insurance
Posted By: Figurehead Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 6th Apr 2013 9:16am
How many people have the luxury of doing a job they want to do?
You work to bring in a wage, simple as. If you like your job then that's a bonus.

Posted By: guitarlad Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 6th Apr 2013 12:46pm
Ilove my job.The only thing is since the pay cuts i find it hard to cope with bills etc.we all have to pay our way somehow its unfair depending on benefits.torries are trying to sort labours debt.
Posted By: guitarlad Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 6th Apr 2013 12:50pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Ah, thats why we differ in viewpoint. A key desirability factor in my field (not Comping as my Profile suggests-lol) is Congruence. smile
????
Posted By: Bennie Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 7th Apr 2013 6:28pm
I totally agree with dizdazdoz, everything they are doing is divisive, they won't have a mansion tax but will have a bedroom tax, a 1% increase in benefits is effectively a cut, while millionaires get a cut in tax, pensioners bus passes and heating alowances are under threat while the House of Lords is full of retirees claiming lots of expenses, a person who has worked all his/her life becomes a skiver if they have the misfortune to lose their job and of course anyone who is lucky enough to get a job has no employment rights for two years.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 7th Apr 2013 7:04pm
Shocking, Bennie.

I think everybody affected should come together and fight everything instead of fighting each other. It is just a waste of time and energy.

One Campaign Group that I am in is trying to achieve that objective
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 7th Apr 2013 7:32pm
Is Democracy in the west gradually slipping towards a Plutocracy (a state or society governed by the wealthy)

Plutocrats are often characterized as ignoring their social responsibilities to the poor, using their power to serve their own purposes and thereby increasing poverty and nurturing
class conflict, and corrupting their societies with greed and hedonism.

Quite often, wealthy individuals either finance their own political campaigns or leverage their affiliations with other wealthy persons and organizations to do so on their behalf. In
the United States, currently, 250 members of Congress both Democratic and Republican are millionaires, with 57 belonging to the top 1% of American wealthy,

It is the £60million Cabinet. David Cameron’s coalition Government may have adopted ‘fairness’ as one of its defining slogans, but his team of Ministers has been drawn almost
exclusively from the ranks of the financial elite – leading to accusations that politics is once again becoming the preserve of the wealthy.
Of the 29 Ministers entitled to attend Cabinet meetings, 23 have assets and investments estimated to be worth more than £1million.

one modern, perhaps unique, formal example of a plutocracy is the City of London.[6] The City (not the whole of modern London but the area of the ancient city, which now mainly
comprises the financial district) has a unique electoral system. More than two-thirds of its voters are not residents, but rather representatives of businesses and other bodies that occupy premises in the City, with votes distributed according to their number of employees.
The principal justification for the non-resident vote is that about 450,000 non-residents constitute the city's day-time population and use most of its services, far outnumbering the
City's 9,000 residents
Posted By: granny Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 8th Apr 2013 12:36am

Mandelson - "We (Labour) are intensely relaxed about people getting filthy rich"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted By: barrybrown Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 2nd Aug 2013 7:34am
I agree with some of the comments on here out not all. There are a lot of people who have made a good living while on benefits over the years not through the benefit Itself but working on the side.
I have always found work myself and have never had a job from the unemployment office in my life I have always got of my arse and found work myself.

Im now 63 years of age and have been unemployed for 3 years getting Pension Credits of £72 a week if anyone can live on that they are a miracle worker.

By the way for the benefit of the people on here making comments about benefit scroungers this is a benefit I'm entitled to as I have paid tax and insurance all my life into the British economy,Its not something I get for free a payment for having done nothing all my working life I have paid in and now Its payback time to me getting back money I have contributed over my working life.

One other thing regarding getting a job...I was told by Upton Job Centre when I first registered for Job Seekers Allowance that I was to old at 60 to claim Job seekers allowance and would have to go on Pension Credits something I had never heard of before. When I challenged this person saying I was to old to work they retracted the ststement saying they didn't mean it the way it sounded.

I ended up on Pension Credits which Im still on today. I class myslf as unemployed not retired there for Im there eyes Im to old to work but to young to get a pension, the figures suggest that there is around 3.5 million people aged between 60 to 65 who are claiming pension credits but not on the unemployment register.

In my eyes they should be grouped together as unemployed as I mentioned Im constantly looking for work in the construction industry which is what I do and not sitting on my arse doing sweet FA.

I have written to Ester McVey about these figure and awaiting a reply back from her.

Lets see what encuse this coalition government come back with.

Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 2nd Aug 2013 8:07am
Good point about the pension credits. One less person "Unemployed" looks good on the figures.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 2nd Aug 2013 10:42am
3.5 million on pension credit is ageist and they should be on the unemployed figures. That puts a lot of things into their proper context.
Posted By: missmoneypenny Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 2nd Aug 2013 4:28pm
Unemployed only pay 17.00.still comming out the taxpayers pocket.
Posted By: Abbot Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 9th Aug 2013 12:53am
Frank, you are simply blind to what's going on, wake up. You are in the minority and your pathetic excuses for what this absolute B*****D of a government are doing are sickening.
Peace out brother and I hope you see the light sooner rather than later
Posted By: nem12esis Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 30th Nov 2013 10:40am
Originally Posted by raymondo
if your forced into a job you dont want to do will you do that job to the best of your ability.......i think not. mr cameron gets housing benifit and a food alouance ON TOP OF A WAGE so where is the justice in that? he needs to try living on the money he offeres then claws back! STOP THE HAND OUTS TO THE IMIGRANTS AND SENDING WHAT LITTLE MONEY WE HAVE TO BAIL OUT OTHER COUNTRYS THE PR**K!!!!!

If you have no qualifications and want to be a brain surgeon, should you be able to refuse all other jobs just because they are not what you are looking for? Not on your nelly. take any job then it will prove easier to move to a better one if you are sufficiently qualified. If you are not suitable qualified then tough, just take the job and get on with life.
If you prefer to live like Mr Cameron then stand for parliament like he does and see how you get on. Perhaps one day you will be Prime Minister. If not then as before, get on with your life. You need to be a clever man to run this country and although I deprecate the expenses claimed, not many could or would be able to do the work required.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 30th Nov 2013 12:46pm
Posted By: Sneezy Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 30th Nov 2013 1:14pm
Posted By: nem12esis Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 30th Nov 2013 1:15pm
Posted By: Shambo Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 30th Nov 2013 3:48pm
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 30th Nov 2013 4:05pm
He's someone who has strong opinions, and though I don't often agree with them, he has every right to put forward his views.
T'd certainly like to know the IQ'S and working experience of all MPs especially the upper echelon
I think it's the high up long serving civil servants and think tanks who advise governments that do the bulk of running this country (or maybe a power behind the throne cabinet)
Might start a new topic Intelligence v Experience v commonsense

Posted By: justice Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 30th Nov 2013 4:12pm
Re Fish calculation person on minimum wage.
Fish you have shocked me and I think your calculations should form the basis for reform Time that travel to work expenses etc should be deducted from income before entitlements are assessed and the ceiling for council tax and rent benefit should be increased to around £500 per week.Bus passes should be given to all people on minimum wage and the tax personal allowance should be increased to 12500.People then would be able to accept jobs on minimum wage.
My sympathy to anybody on low pay or benefit this Christmas.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 30th Nov 2013 4:27pm
Better still encourage home ownership by building prefabricated very cheap homes (with modern materials - convert shipyards to build them maybe with plastic)
Start off basic 1 bedroom and able to add to it as your family grows.
Hopefully this would get some folks off housing benefits and put more spending money into the pockets of low wage earners.
When I first went in for a mortgage it was for £3000 over 25 years. Now I'm paying over £4000 a year rent (it's a long story)
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 30th Nov 2013 4:38pm
Apologies for going off topic
Maybe the gov could get it cheaper than a private firm

found click this
Posted By: Shambo Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 2nd Dec 2013 2:02pm
Posted By: chriskay Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 2nd Dec 2013 3:46pm
Posted By: Shambo Re: Unemployed to pay council tax! - 2nd Dec 2013 5:47pm
© Wirral-Wikiwirral