Forums
Posted By: Happyjim Tell the Council 'What Really Matters' - 10th Sep 2012 1:45pm
Wirral Council is aksing local people to decide 'What Really Matters' as it faces around £100m of cuts to its funding from central government over the next three years.

Have your say by answering the survey.
Posted By: Helles Re: Tell the Council 'What Really Matters' - 10th Sep 2012 6:03pm
It's an old trick. Later on when they cut to the bone, and people object they will say "it's what the people asked for".
Posted By: granny Re: Tell the Council 'What Really Matters' - 10th Sep 2012 6:36pm
Originally Posted by Helles
It's an old trick. Later on when they cut to the bone, and people object they will say "it's what the people asked for".

Almost certainly Helles. Is it £100m of cuts or are they trying to make £100m of savings? Maybe they could ask other Councils what they have done. e.g.

http://www.suffolkcoastal.gov.uk/as...l-Tax/SuffolkCoastalCouncilTax201213.pdf

Peninsular,port/docks, tourism, parks, gardens and trees kept in lovely order.theatres, all the same things and more, to be looked after.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Tell the Council 'What Really Matters' - 10th Sep 2012 11:07pm
Leader of the council, Cllr Phil Davies, said: 'The scale of the savings we are being forced to make is greater than anything we have faced before. 'We have no choice but to become a different council and this is going to mean radical and rapid change, making sure that our remaining budget is carefully targeted at our residents' main priorities. 'We need to know what services matter the most to people and their families so that we can make sure that we spend our reduced budget on the right things.'

The questionnaire, along with a video explaining the consultation, can also be found online, at www.wirral.gov.uk/whatreallymatters.

Hard copies are also available from any council One Stop Shop, Library, Leisure Centre or Children's Centre.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Tell the Council 'What Really Matters' - 10th Sep 2012 11:38pm
Whilst we still have one stop shops, libraries and childrens centres etc......
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: Tell the Council 'What Really Matters' - 10th Sep 2012 11:40pm
I actually find it worrying that the people we vote for are asking us how to do their job . . . or have I got that wrong?
Posted By: granny Re: Tell the Council 'What Really Matters' - 11th Sep 2012 12:43am
Originally Posted by dizdazdoz
I actually find it worrying that the people we vote for are asking us how to do their job . . . or have I got that wrong?

Reckon you've hit the nail on the head but it would appear that they want the positions. Spending a fortune in time energy and cash to get them, although they don't know what to do once they arrive. Amazing!

Maybe that's a bit harsh?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Tell the Council 'What Really Matters' - 11th Sep 2012 7:32am
I don't find it worrying at all that voted representatives wish to hear the views of the people they represent.
I welcome it and at the end of the day if they say that's what the people wanted, then they would be correct.
I don't expect anyone I've voted for to have all the answers to all the questions and by asking peoples opinions gives them a chance to take part in a democratic process that most leave after polling day.
In my view more opinions should be sought, instead of elected officials thinking they have a free hand to do as they wish.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Tell the Council 'What Really Matters' - 11th Sep 2012 7:57am
They know better than us slobs or so they tell us, if they can't do the job then call a local election, after all they do get "expenses",you can only put so many traffic lights and re-mark the roads and new 50mph signs in.
Posted By: chris123 Re: Tell the Council 'What Really Matters' - 11th Sep 2012 7:24pm
Council cuts yet can afford to pay £125000 a year to continue to sponsor Tranmere, we the tax payers are paying for this- no other council does this, personally I'd rather have the bins emptied on a weekly basis. This started in 1988 So that's got to be a couple of million of council tax money wasted how many library's and swimming pools would this save
Posted By: Zubee Re: Tell the Council 'What Really Matters' - 11th Sep 2012 9:23pm
Originally Posted by bert1
I don't find it worrying at all that voted representatives wish to hear the views of the people they represent.
I welcome it and at the end of the day if they say that's what the people wanted, then they would be correct.
I don't expect anyone I've voted for to have all the answers to all the questions and by asking peoples opinions gives them a chance to take part in a democratic process that most leave after polling day.
In my view more opinions should be sought, instead of elected officials thinking they have a free hand to do as they wish.

withthat We elect them because we trust that they'll represent our opinions. So if they need to vote on something then surely they're doing the right thing by asking us what we think?
Posted By: granny Re: Tell the Council 'What Really Matters' - 11th Sep 2012 9:44pm
Right, but they have had these surveys before, so assumably they don't really carry much weight.
The council should look a little closer to home for money saving projects.If the council can offer EVR (early voluntary retirement) to people who meet the necessary criteria at the time on condition that the post is no longer a valid position. Why then ,allow someone else to do the same job and re-employ the person who benefited from EVR, in another positiion?
The departments are not in unison.(and I don't mean the trade union)

N.B. The next option will possibly be joining forces with Merseyside Councils..Just a thought

Also I wonder how much the Ladies Golf, which starts on the 13th Sept. is costing this time? We have not heard very much about that so far.It's great to have these events here but last time it was not very beneficial to many of the local shops etc as everything was provided on site by big companies.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Tell the Council 'What Really Matters' - 11th Sep 2012 10:34pm
Originally Posted by granny
Right, but they have had these surveys before, so assumably they don't really carry much weight.
The council should look a little closer to home for money saving projects.If the council can offer EVR (early voluntary retirement) to people who meet the necessary criteria at the time on condition that the post is no longer a valid position. Why then ,allow someone else to do the same job and re-employ the person who benefited from EVR, in another positiion?
The departments are not in unison.(and I don't mean the trade union)

N.B. The next option will possibly be joining forces with Merseyside Councils..Just a thought

Also I wonder how much the Ladies Golf, which starts on the 13th Sept. is costing this time? We have not heard very much about that so far.It's great to have these events here but last time it was not very beneficial to many of the local shops etc as everything was provided on site by big companies.

I will second this well staed comment, took the words right out of my mouth.

I'll have to keep an eye on this one.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Tell the Council 'What Really Matters' - 11th Sep 2012 10:37pm
well stated comment that is.
Posted By: granny Re: Tell the Council 'What Really Matters' - 12th Sep 2012 7:23am
And another thing!

Had the last Labour Government not introduced the Job Evaluation scheme to spread it's wings across the U.K., maybe half the councils around the country would not be struggling.
When every job was evaluated,starting 2007 and taking approx 4yrs, a few lost out but most were given a higher banding (a pay increase) plus,up to 5 years backpay(lump sum). Now their concern is how to pay the wages/salaries, and how all the pensions are going to be afforded.
One wonders how much in total that must have cost, including consultancies etc.Jobs for the boys, which backfired a bit.(n my opinion)

© Wirral-Wikiwirral