Forums
Posted By: Rort71 Pavement in Oxton Road Birkenhed - 21st Nov 2011 2:40pm
I was in Birkenhead yesterday and was surprised to see that the whole of Oxton Road pavements were just tarmac - looks awful - not a good image of Birkenhead shopping centre. Cheap and nasty
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Pavement in Oxton Road Birkenhed - 21st Nov 2011 2:42pm
Lol
Posted By: little_pob Re: Pavement in Oxton Road Birkenhed - 21st Nov 2011 2:43pm
It's what happens when people sue the council for tripping on uneven paving slabs.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Pavement in Oxton Road Birkenhed - 21st Nov 2011 3:16pm
Originally Posted by little_pob
It's what happens when people sue the council for tripping on uneven paving slabs.
(when its a false claim anyway)

yep, serves them right.
Posted By: PhilyMc Re: Pavement in Oxton Road Birkenhed - 21st Nov 2011 4:46pm
That's Birkenhead For ya'll
Posted By: philmch Re: Pavement in Oxton Road Birkenhed - 21st Nov 2011 6:08pm
At least it's safer to walk on than that useless bloody York stone stuff which is all over the Oxton Village area.

It's lethal when wet and should be ripped up and replaced with concrete slabs.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Pavement in Oxton Road Birkenhed - 21st Nov 2011 6:12pm
that slabs worth a small fortune son, you should be lucky to have it in such a poor area.
Posted By: philmch Re: Pavement in Oxton Road Birkenhed - 21st Nov 2011 6:28pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_
that slabs worth a small fortune son, you should be lucky to have it in such a poor area.

I'd hardly call Oxton village poor. The point I'm trying to make is that York stone is not suitable for purpose. It's downright dangerous. People's safety is more important than how some paving looks. thumbsdown
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Pavement in Oxton Road Birkenhed - 21st Nov 2011 7:33pm
Originally Posted by Rort71
I was in Birkenhead yesterday and was surprised to see that the whole of Oxton Road pavements were just tarmac - looks awful - not a good image of Birkenhead shopping centre. Cheap and nasty

You should take a walk arouind Leasowe, they ripped all the pavements up years ago and laid tarmac. I think it was because we were poor, you don't see it so much in affluent areas. On the plus side the fellas doing the job sold me dad as many paving slabs as he wanted for a fiver and he laid them all in the back yard.
Posted By: yewgarth Re: Pavement in Oxton Road Birkenhed - 21st Nov 2011 8:06pm
Out of four roads in New Ferry, Napier, Ingleby, Woodford and Cecil Roads, there's only Woodford that still paved, does that make us posh in Woodford?
Posted By: davew3 Re: Pavement in Oxton Road Birkenhed - 21st Nov 2011 9:59pm
If people stopped parking on the pavements then maybe they could start putting flags down again but then again sometimes it's much safer for a pedestrian to walk on the road than negotiate an uncut boundry hedge and push your way between a vehicle parked on the pavement, smashed up flagestones = ugly tarred pavements and less insurance claims for the council, that's unless a 32tonner has parked on the pavement and damaged the tar.
Posted By: sean99789 Re: Pavement in Oxton Road Birkenhed - 21st Nov 2011 10:02pm
Originally Posted by Rort71

i seen them doing this the other day and wouldnt call it tarmac more of a self leveling thing as its only a thin layer
© Wirral-Wikiwirral