Forums
Posted By: neilmcc why are council knocking over bins - 13th Apr 2011 10:37am
does anyone know why the council are knocking asking how many bins you have are they charging for extra bins

cheers neil
Posted By: Sanchez Re: why are council knocking over bins - 13th Apr 2011 11:09am
yes they are, one bin per house, reguardless of size or ammount of pepole living there. I dispose of my own rubbish via the tip and I dont get a discount, funny the way it only works one way.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: why are council knocking over bins - 13th Apr 2011 11:28am
When I saw this thread, I thought from the title, you meant council workers were walking around knocking over bins for no reason lol.

blush grin
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: why are council knocking over bins - 13th Apr 2011 11:33am
Thought you were meant to have three bins? confused
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: why are council knocking over bins - 13th Apr 2011 11:34am
The Brown bin is optional depending where you live.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: why are council knocking over bins - 13th Apr 2011 11:35am
Sorry ste, one bin of each colour, or if your in chester, like moi, one green bin, one brown bin, a grey box and a grey box.
Posted By: sparky Re: why are council knocking over bins - 13th Apr 2011 11:35am
I thought that to. There are 6 of us living in the house and when I enquired about getting another green bin they said I would have to pay £27.00 for one. You can only get a free bin if there is more than 6 people.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: why are council knocking over bins - 13th Apr 2011 11:38am
Can't you ask for a large bin - or have they stopped them?
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: why are council knocking over bins - 13th Apr 2011 11:43am
I can understand a charge for another green bin but 1 bin is hardly enough for a small household per fortnight never mind a large family!

You binmen are paid well too high for my liking! Picking and choosing wether or not to take a bin coz it's 'too heavy'. Get off ya fat asses and do some work for those 'overpaid' wages of yours!

Bring back the old style bins & binmen, at least they were emptied every week and the binmen didn't whine about how 'heavy'' they were!!!
Posted By: Sanchez Re: why are council knocking over bins - 13th Apr 2011 11:45am
This is why I dont see the point in the sensus. It is ment to be a form to fill out so the council/gov know how many people there are etc in one home. If they can see that only one person lives in that home then why not charge them less council tax but only empty their bin once every 2-3 weeks. prob be to awarkward for them to get their heads around givin they fail to do it on a weekly basis.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: why are council knocking over bins - 13th Apr 2011 11:47am
Originally Posted by _Ste_
I can understand a charge for another green bin but 1 bin is hardly enough for a small household per fortnight never mind a large family!

You binmen are paid well too high for my liking! Picking and choosing wether or not to take a bin coz it's 'too heavy'. Get off ya fat asses and do some work for those 'overpaid' wages of yours!

Bring back the old style bins & binmen, at least they were emptied every week and the binmen didn't whine about how 'heavy'' they were!!!

And they took it onto your drive, really piss's me off, especially when you are going down a narrow road, have to hung the kerb and mangage to blast your wing mirror off on a bin placed too close to the kirbside. I've replace 3 on my van now as a result grrrrrrrrrrrr
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: why are council knocking over bins - 13th Apr 2011 11:47am
The census information is confidential - it cannot not be used to identify details about individuals or individual properties. Its used to measure trends.

Government policy is that you have a right to have your bins collected once a week, just over 50% of councils are now in breach of that policy.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: why are council knocking over bins - 13th Apr 2011 11:51am
Ok, why are all of the cencus forms sent to skunkworks in america (thats a place that developes the stealth bomber and all hi tec war gear).
Posted By: Sanchez Re: why are council knocking over bins - 13th Apr 2011 11:53am
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skunk_Works

Cant find, just yet where abouts I read this but bare with me smile
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: why are council knocking over bins - 13th Apr 2011 12:06pm
I thought it was actually done at Widnes with Lockeed-Martin as the scanning contractor. Skunk Works is Lockheed-Martins brand name for the system - it was used in the USA census.

There should be two separate systems, one is for checking an individual property has returned a census, the other for the correlation of data. It should not be possible for the data system to identify an address - though I haven't found specific details that this is the case.
Posted By: karenjon Re: why are council knocking over bins - 13th Apr 2011 12:18pm
had grey bin stolen from drive on sunday night,rang council said have to pay for new one £37.00 .told them three flats in block but have only ever had 2 of each bin . they aid they even charge for bins on new builds so we would have to buy them even though three people paying council tax.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: why are council knocking over bins - 13th Apr 2011 12:20pm
Find a wrecked one somewhere - they replace knackered ones free of charge.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: why are council knocking over bins - 13th Apr 2011 12:25pm
Originally Posted by Sanchez
This is why I dont see the point in the sensus. It is ment to be a form to fill out so the council/gov know how many people there are etc in one home. If they can see that only one person lives in that home then why not charge them less council tax but only empty their bin once every 2-3 weeks. prob be to awarkward for them to get their heads around givin they fail to do it on a weekly basis.

The census is useless anyway, the data is 3 years out of date by the time it is analysed and published and it is only a snapshot of the country, on that particular day/week.

In addition, most of the data gathered by the census, could be gathered simply by using existing public databases, such as council tax, DWP, police etc...
Posted By: little_pob Re: why are council knocking over bins - 13th Apr 2011 12:32pm

The census data is being collated on behalf of the Office for National Statistics by Lockheed Martin under a £150m contract.

[edit] Too slow...
Posted By: chriskay Re: why are council knocking over bins - 13th Apr 2011 1:48pm

Hear Hear!! Just to give an idea of how hard the job used to be, have a look at this map. The bins were put out into the alley behind the houses. The binmen had to walk from the bin lorry in the street, up the alley, & back with the bin, which could be heavy with ashes from the fire. If your bin was where I've put an 'x', that's a 200 yard round trip.

Attached picture Bins.jpg
Posted By: starakita Re: why are council knocking over bins - 13th Apr 2011 1:49pm
back to bins,Ive got 2 green ones because at the time there were 7 of us then 8 I'd better hide one of them cos I aint payin for the extra one.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: why are council knocking over bins - 13th Apr 2011 2:23pm
Originally Posted by little_pob

The census data is being collated on behalf of the Office for National Statistics by Lockheed Martin under a £150m contract.

[edit] Too slow...

Thanking you kindly, I nipped out to adsa!
Posted By: Shadow_Omega Re: why are council knocking over bins - 13th Apr 2011 2:54pm
we had our brown bin nicked by the council when we first moved to Egremont because we
"didn't pay for it" bullshit, we got it with the house, the asswipes.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: why are council knocking over bins - 13th Apr 2011 3:30pm
To be honest Shadow, that sounds like a chancer working for Biffa who got away with it.
Posted By: jimbob Re: why are council knocking over bins - 13th Apr 2011 5:54pm
Long before the wheely bins, when it was the old metal bin {some where galvo} that you put all the different kinds of waste in and the bin was emptyed every week.. If you lived in a household that required more than the ONE BIN you payed the council for a extra bin and you ALSO PAYED AN ADDITION CHARGE PER YEAR ON YOUR council tax {CALLED RATES IN THOSE DAYS}to have it emptyed. So nothing new in only been allowed one green bin and one grey bin {if you live on the wirral}unless your prepaired to pay extra.
As far as been the only person in a house, you can fill the correct paper work in and get a reduction of your council tax reduction.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: why are council knocking over bins - 13th Apr 2011 6:07pm
Yer its like 15 quid saved, massive wow factor lol. I remember the silver binds, then the round plastic ones aswell and when they took it from your back gate and put it bk, lazy tw ats
Posted By: rockster Re: why are council knocking over bins - 13th Apr 2011 6:49pm

I'll second that
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: why are council knocking over bins - 13th Apr 2011 7:24pm
Originally Posted by rockster

I'll second that
withthat
Posted By: DavidB Re: why are council knocking over bins - 13th Apr 2011 11:43pm
Loads of houses near me have 3 green/brown bins. Most don't have lids on. One over the road has seven bins in the front garden!

I remember when they came down your back alley (if you'll excuse the expression).
Posted By: MikeT Re: why are council knocking over bins - 14th Apr 2011 4:50am

You're not trying hard enough. We put far more in the grey recycling bin than we do in the green.
Posted By: bert1 Re: why are council knocking over bins - 14th Apr 2011 4:55am
I can just hear the shouts and screams, the moans and the groans if they were ever crazy enough to return to the old system of rubbish removal, the bill must have been enormous, each bin wagon had a crew of about ten men, it must have taken about ten times longer to clear a street. Would the members on here still be shouting for the old system when the rates bill was hiked up to cover the cost.
The reason the old bins were collected each week was because of there size, the two bins most families have are more than enough, they probably hold about 5 times the amount of the old bin, if the bins are used correctly.
Why is it thought that binmen earn to much, i don't know what they earn but good luck to them whatever it is, it is scandalous that working people are suggesting that other working people are earning to much. If anyone feels aggrieved at the system, its the management or the council that should be got at and not the workers who work it.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: why are council knocking over bins - 14th Apr 2011 7:02am
A few people have commented on the bin-mens pay. I hope they know how much they are paid before decrying them.

My mate was a bin-man and he was close enough to minimum wage. On change of contract they got paid less.
Posted By: davaw1 Re: why are council knocking over bins - 14th Apr 2011 7:19am
They are not far off minimum wage and there is alot of agencey workers working for Biffa now who are on the minimum wage, just ignorant people like Ste shouting his mouth off before he knows the facts.
Posted By: starakita Re: why are council knocking over bins - 14th Apr 2011 12:26pm
As my kids say,in the olden days everyone had open fires so people used to burn there rubbish so there probably wasnt as much waste apart from the ash.Ive got 2 green bins & 1 grey one also got an open fire. I only use the second green bin round Christmas or if the weathers bad & the bin men have'nt been or if my neighbours bins are full I let them use my other bin
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: why are council knocking over bins - 14th Apr 2011 12:29pm
Biggest difference is the amount of packaged food we buy these days, most of my "usual" bin is mostly food packaging.

I guess the free-papers and numerous pamphlets or junk-mail contribute quite a bit now.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral