Forums
Posted By: masterbun What's happened to Oxton ? - 8th Feb 2011 7:20pm
I've not lived in Oxton since 1970 and only been back twice since in 1974 & 86. Still I like a bit of nostalgia.
The thing is Oxton seems to be disappearing from maps (online ones in particular) it always seems to show Prenton which is or was to the south of Woodchurch Road.
Can someone explain what's going on up there ?
confused
Posted By: MissGuided Re: What's happened to Oxton ? - 8th Feb 2011 7:24pm
Prenton is seen as a popular place to be, and if the address is covered by the Prenton postcode i.e. CH43 then you suddenly live in Prenton, voila! Even Lansdowne Road in Claughton is CH43 et voila!
Posted By: masterbun Re: What's happened to Oxton ? - 8th Feb 2011 7:51pm
Thank you. that expalins it. Like my post code say I live in Chichester which I don't !!
Posted By: MissGuided Re: What's happened to Oxton ? - 8th Feb 2011 7:52pm
I don't think it helps Prenton with their crime figures though raftl
Posted By: ChrisNewcastle Re: What's happened to Oxton ? - 9th Feb 2011 2:52am
Oxton is a suburb of Birkenhead, on the Wirral Peninsula, Merseyside, England. Administratively it is a ward of the Metropolitan Borough of Wirral. Originally a village in its own right, it became part of the Municipal Borough of Birkenhead upon its creation in 1877. Before local government reorganisation on 1 April 1974, it was part of the County Borough of Birkenhead, within the county of Cheshire.

The Royal Mail redefined Oxton in 2003, as being within Prenton (which is in fact a geographically separate suburb of Birkenhead) instead of Birkenhead.

hope this answers your question MasterBun! thumbsup
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: What's happened to Oxton ? - 9th Feb 2011 10:47am
It's starting to look run down now Oxton. Whereas it used to be a place to aspire to live in I wouldn't live there for a big clock now. It's not even all that pleasant to walk through. Just my opinion.
Posted By: OxtonHill Re: What's happened to Oxton ? - 9th Feb 2011 1:41pm
William Williams Mortimer quotes an “Itinerary” of the county, published in 1821 in which Oxton is described:

"...the immediate locality is dreary and desolate, presenting a scene of extreme misery and destitution....cottages, generally of the most inferior description, the inhabitants of which had acquired an unenviable celebrity in their own neighbourhood."

Nothing much, changed then raftl
Posted By: philmch Re: What's happened to Oxton ? - 9th Feb 2011 2:23pm
Originally Posted by ChrisNewcastle
Oxton is a suburb of Birkenhead, on the Wirral Peninsula, Merseyside,

WRONG. The Scouse mafia formerly known Merseyside County Council was abolished in the 1980s and good riddance to it. Oxton is, and always has been in CHESHIRE.

Oxton is not a bad place at all. Go and have a walk around the village and Arno then go over and have a wander around Fazakerley. Don't forget your bullet-proof vest.

Now, which would you prefer to live in ?

Posted By: mb2496 Re: What's happened to Oxton ? - 12th Jul 2011 10:31pm
Oh dear, I have a friend who thinks he still lives in Cheshire. Although I have told him that Moreton is not, I repeat not in Cheshire! The "CH" post code is merely to determine which sorting office a person's post is sorted at. I like Oxton, but it isn't in Cheshire.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: What's happened to Oxton ? - 12th Jul 2011 10:41pm
I give my address as Wirral and have received post from council departments that have a Wirral address - no mention of Cheshire or Prenton or Merseyside.
Mine ends
Birkenhead,
Wirral
ch
© Wirral-Wikiwirral