Forums
Posted By: Mark WIRRAL COUNCIL – Council Tax is Unlawful - 20th Apr 2010 2:17pm
Posted October 7th, 2009 by john

WIRRAL COUNCIL – Admits that Council Tax is Unlawful and Sets a Legal Precedent.

Its a great read.

Click Me

lamethrower
Posted By: chriskay Re: WIRRAL COUNCIL – Council Tax is Unlawful - 20th Apr 2010 3:12pm
Great stuff.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: WIRRAL COUNCIL – Council Tax is Unlawful - 20th Apr 2010 6:01pm
so do we all stop paying our council tax? fair do's but I hope those that do don't come on wiki and start moaning when the police service, fire service, refuse collections and other services dependent on council tax, cease to operate.

I wish people would get a life and accept that without council tax (and other taxes) we would be in right state. Everyone is always trying to look for ways to avoid paying council tax and the like, but these are the same people who will moan when all the public services dependent upon it cease.

This country needs to grow up and realise that taxes are a part of life, and even moreso now given the state of the economy, whether people like it or not, taxes pay to run the country and public services, I do see that there is far far too much tax-revenue wasted on overpaid positions, stupid schemes and pointless other things, which could potentially lead to tax cuts, but to try and say such an important and vital tax is illegal and we should no longer pay it is pathetic im afraid.
Posted By: camaroz Re: WIRRAL COUNCIL – Council Tax is Unlawful - 20th Apr 2010 6:04pm
Brilliant!
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: WIRRAL COUNCIL – Council Tax is Unlawful - 20th Apr 2010 6:22pm
I presume that "Jim" is no longer allowed to either phone the Police, Fire Brigade and does not have his bins emptied.
Posted By: raymondo Re: WIRRAL COUNCIL – Council Tax is Unlawful - 20th Apr 2010 6:27pm
i dont belive any body would refuse to pay there coucil tax if theY stopped wasting it on stupid fecking statues no one cares about, building new homes to help asylum seekers and smackheads, wasting money on changing roads that had nothing wrong with them in the first place closing schools to make way for bigger super schools THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE BLOODY OLD ONES. the council are a body of people and each one an arse! use the money you have wisely and people will not have a problem paying you and get some decent binmen all the ones round here are pansies and wont empty you bin if its a "little bit too heavy for them" ITS ON WHEELS FFS!!!
Posted By: Neil_c Re: WIRRAL COUNCIL – Council Tax is Unlawful - 20th Apr 2010 6:33pm
Only around 20% of the money that it costs to run the Council comes from Council Tax; the rest from central govt through other taxes, but at the end of the day the money for the services we use has to come from somewhere.

My mate has recently been in court for not paying his council tax and ended up getting a deduction of earnings put on his wages. Much of his theory for not paying came from an American guy called Marc Stevens (he's even been on his radio show). Check it out it's really quite interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8-W8inFkqQ&feature=related
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: WIRRAL COUNCIL – Council Tax is Unlawful - 20th Apr 2010 6:34pm
raymondo some people do care about statues, the schooling thing is daft as we are a growing society and will need more schools in he next 20 years or so. Dont think you should call all council people an arse. Saying use the money wisely means treying to please most people most of the time without forgetting that some like different stuff, and I can assure you that the binmen in Bromborough are fine, are bins are emptied when it says what more can I ask, oh yes we are a family of 5 so is normally pretty heavy.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: WIRRAL COUNCIL – Council Tax is Unlawful - 21st Apr 2010 4:32pm
At the end of the day there is no such thing as a free lunch. If you want your bins emptied, streets cleaned, kids schooled etc. then you have to pay your way. It's the waste and idiocy that drives people up the wall. We've just had a swing bridge built here and it is not a navigable river and hasn't been within living memory and never will be, and just to make sure they stuck a sculpture in the middle of the river at some considerable cost. Somebody on this particular council has really lost it.
Posted By: Neil_c Re: WIRRAL COUNCIL – Council Tax is Unlawful - 21st Apr 2010 6:28pm
I work for the two local Councils and have previously worked for Wirral for a number of years. I think local authorities do very well with what they are given in most respects. The days of Councils being job centres are over.

As for central government...don't get me started lol. Billions proping up unresponsible banks and as for the money wasted by an out-of-date defence strategy! Not to mention the expenses scandals.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: WIRRAL COUNCIL – Council Tax is Unlawful - 22nd Apr 2010 10:53am
Originally Posted by Neil_c
I work for the two local Councils and have previously worked for Wirral for a number of years. I think local authorities do very well with what they are given in most respects. The days of Councils being job centres are over.

As for central government...don't get me started lol. Billions proping up unresponsible banks and as for the money wasted by an out-of-date defence strategy! Not to mention the expenses scandals.

They are job centres, they have just moved up market. They cater for a better class client now, otherwise known as the execs, and a very cosy club it is too. Get booted out of one authority for being useless and just move on to another at an increased salary and bigger pension. Do me a favour. Before they used to provide low grade jobs, at low grade pay admittedly, for people who had no chance of doing some tasks but it used to let them keep their pride and work for a living.
Posted By: Neil_c Re: WIRRAL COUNCIL – Council Tax is Unlawful - 22nd Apr 2010 6:22pm
Like it or not most Councils are the largest employers in their Borough's. Wirral MBC is the largest single employer in Wirral. I can't comment if exec salaries are fair, as they are different in each Council, but having responsibility for some 16,000 people, elected members, pension funds and budgets of around £1BN does command a fair salary. Imagine paying someone £25K a year for those responsibilities!

We want the right people to run local Authorities and have to pay the market rate to get these people into the jobs. If they don't, then it won't attract the right staff for the directors and cheif execs (they'll simply work in the private sector).

Councils employ people of all pay grades, more lower graded than high. Would you rather that eduction and social services were all in the hands of the profit making private sector?

© Wirral-Wikiwirral