Forums
Posted By: KevinFinity Where to dispose of largeish battery?. - 13th Nov 2009 6:26pm
I have an old lead acid battery that no longer holds a charge. Does anyone know where I am supposed to take it to get rid of it?. I don't think the local tip accepts them. I have had a google but can't find any relevant info on the matter. I can't really slip it in with the rubbish as its quite large , noticeable and toxic.
Posted By: davew3 Re: Where to dispose of largeish battery?. - 13th Nov 2009 6:29pm
Take it to the local tip they have a container you can put the battery in.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Where to dispose of largeish battery?. - 13th Nov 2009 6:30pm
You tried askin a supplier of batteries like ATS or Motor World etc? Prsumably, the former at least, would know the regs with regards them, as they must dispose of a fair few customer batteries.

They may be able to advise or even take the battery of you (which they may try and charge a nominal recycling fee for unfortunatly lol).
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Where to dispose of largeish battery?. - 13th Nov 2009 6:39pm
Its not a car battery. Its a 12v 7.2Ah lead acid battery. The sort that you have in large torches or fire alarm panels like this one

[Linked Image]

I am not willing to pay to get rid of it. The council get enough money off me. They will be taking it off me for free one way or another hopefully the legitimate way.
Posted By: philmch Re: Where to dispose of largeish battery?. - 13th Nov 2009 7:12pm
All WBC tips will accept car batteries and yours is of the same type.

PLEASE do not fly tip it. It's much more of an environmental hazard if you do so.
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Where to dispose of largeish battery?. - 13th Nov 2009 7:28pm
Thanks philmch. I will take it to the tip tomorrow. Don't worry I was not going to launch it out the window at a local beauty spot. It would have been along the lines of leaving it in one of their bins for them to sort out and take to the appropriate place.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Where to dispose of largeish battery?. - 13th Nov 2009 8:29pm
Throw it at a councillor.
Posted By: scoops Re: Where to dispose of largeish battery?. - 13th Nov 2009 8:43pm
If you have the box the new replacement came in just put an address label on it and leave it on your doorstep. It'll be gone in 2 minutes raftl raftl
Posted By: Spritey_Nikki Re: Where to dispose of largeish battery?. - 13th Nov 2009 9:25pm
I worked for a waste management company called Veolia - although they are expensive to dispose of, I did find out quite a few things. Certain tips will recycle it for you, possibly for a small fee too - but if they wont accept it, you may need to get a private company to dispose of it. Like Biffa, or Veolia...the number to get it disposed of at Veolia is 0151 348 5000, and ask for Matthew Smith, he will produce a quote for you, you have no obligation to accept the quote though, you can take it yourself to a site, and you will only pay for disposal. Dont know whether that helps.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Where to dispose of largeish battery?. - 14th Nov 2009 2:40pm
is it just me or is a car battery a lead acid battery as well? We used to have accumulators (lead acid batteries) for our radios before we got ac electricity. Serious question as I don't know if things have sneakily changed and I've missed the plot, again.
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Where to dispose of largeish battery?. - 14th Nov 2009 3:48pm
Thanks for the advice folks. I forgot to go to the tip with it today whist I was out and can't be bothered leaving the house again so it will probably end up staying in the boot of the car for ages.
Posted By: kimpri Re: Where to dispose of largeish battery?. - 14th Nov 2009 4:02pm
will it take a charge smile
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Where to dispose of largeish battery?. - 14th Nov 2009 4:03pm
Originally Posted by KevinFinity
Thanks for the advice folks. I forgot to go to the tip with it today whist I was out and can't be bothered leaving the house again so it will probably end up staying in the boot of the car for ages.

good if it gets icy to weight the back down. In my old Ford Classic I had to put a big bag of spuds in the boot in the winter to add a bit of traction, I was only following advice.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Where to dispose of largeish battery?. - 14th Nov 2009 4:12pm
Its always handy if you can run a sheep over prior to the bad weather, they are nice and weighty in the boot and also good for jamming under tyres as traction.

I now await my beating up by Summer and Tilly
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Where to dispose of largeish battery?. - 14th Nov 2009 4:12pm
Originally Posted by kimpri1
will it take a charge smile

No. Its about 15 years old. Well past its best. It used to power my home made mega torch. long before you could buy them for peanuts at every diy shop.
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Where to dispose of largeish battery?. - 14th Nov 2009 4:15pm
Originally Posted by bert1
Its always handy if you can run a sheep over prior to the bad weather, they are nice and weighty in the boot and also good for jamming under tyres as traction.

Good Idea. I went round the roundabout sideways at three lanes end in the wet the other day.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Where to dispose of largeish battery?. - 14th Nov 2009 4:18pm
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
is it just me or is a car battery a lead acid battery as well? We used to have accumulators (lead acid batteries) for our radios before we got ac electricity. Serious question as I don't know if things have sneakily changed and I've missed the plot, again.

Yes, a car battery is lead acid. For radios, as I remember, you used to have a little low voltage, 2 volt, lead acid accumulator, which could be re-charged, for the low tension side just for the valve heaters & a large dry battery for the high tension side which would have tappings for a range of voltages, anything from about 75 volts & up.
Posted By: kimpri Re: Where to dispose of largeish battery?. - 14th Nov 2009 4:20pm
OK,just need one for a lamp i use at night for the rabbits smile
Posted By: Nigel Re: Where to dispose of largeish battery?. - 22nd Apr 2010 1:22pm
I am sure there will be a recycling centre at the tips.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral