Forums
Posted By: derekdwc wirral councillors query - 16th May 2009 9:50pm
now that all questions about MPs expenses are being asked

Can anyone tell if councillors get paid a wage and what sort of expenses can they claim

Am interested to find out
Posted By: Wench Re: wirral councillors query - 16th May 2009 9:55pm
There ya go Derek laugh

Click me for the answer.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: wirral councillors query - 16th May 2009 10:40pm
I'm going away next week and i bet my line manager at the voluntary agency i work for wont authorise £200 expenses for 'avoidance of stress overload'. Lol
Posted By: bert1 Re: wirral councillors query - 17th May 2009 5:10am
It is most important that there is an allowance and expenses facility in place for anyone serving as MP or councilor etc. It does give anyone of lesser means a chance to serve, otherwise only those from a wealthy background would be capable of doing so, which would take us back years in our representative system. However any abuse of that system should be met with the full force of the law, not only by the recipients of such allowances but also towards those who are in charge of handing them out.
Posted By: DavidB Re: wirral councillors query - 17th May 2009 10:48am
I don't understand or believe how they were allowed to resign.
Posted By: bert1 Re: wirral councillors query - 17th May 2009 11:01am
I don't think resignation will save them from any inquiry or prosecution.
Posted By: Handbag Re: wirral councillors query - 7th Jul 2010 6:42pm
As far as I am aware the Councillors receive sa sum of about £6000 per annum as a basic 'wage' They are allowed to claim for out of pocket expenses. Someone told me that they are also paid for various different pannels that they sit on in the Council although I dont know how true that is.
Posted By: Neil_c Re: wirral councillors query - 7th Jul 2010 7:28pm
The leader would get about £12K plus expenses which are pensionable. A councillor's pension scheme was set up in about 2004 which is administered by the local authority pension fund along with the paid staff.

Expenses aren't astromical (typically less than £5k) and the local authority will usually provide them with a PC, PADSL, phone, blackberry (only for the special ones tho) and fax/printer etc.

I'd say what they get is fair for what they have to do and the shit they have to take. Many councils are different, but you'll typically find the information on google.

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: wirral councillors query - 7th Jul 2010 8:47pm
Councillors are voluntary positions, they are not allowed to be paid any sort of wage.

Instead of claiming expenses (including effectively attendance allowance) they went on to this scheme of getting an allowance which is £9171 (all figures for 2008-2009*), there are additional responsibility allowances for certain positions. 37 councillors had some form of responsibility allowance.

The Leaders allowance is £22,927*, in addition to the £9171*

Additionally they can claim for travel, subsidence and childcare.

The average councillor received £10997* total.

Only one councillor claimed for phone calls and very roughly half claimed for travel and/or mileage.

Posted By: Capt_America Re: wirral councillors query - 7th Jul 2010 9:25pm
That's a lot of expenses considering they all got business' or other jobs.
Posted By: Handbag Re: wirral councillors query - 7th Jul 2010 9:45pm
I have no problem with their expenses. The 2 Councillors that I work with do a very difficult job in a very difficult area. I believe that they give value for money and play a very active roll in our area, I know that they have always been there for our Community whenever we have needed their help. I appreciate that they do a very demanding and difficult job.
Posted By: DavidB Re: wirral councillors query - 8th Jul 2010 3:43pm
Some do a good job, some don't. A mate's mum is a councillor. She's purely in it to progress her career and further her influence/contacts. It's like the Masons.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: wirral councillors query - 8th Jul 2010 3:58pm
Yes, some councillors do have their heart in the right place whilst others don't. I think the allowance should at least be partly based on the number of attendances.

There are many volunteers in other fields who would like these sort of re-reimbursements and allowances.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral