Forums
Posted By: granny Mermaid Trail - 27th Apr 2018 7:59pm

Mermaid trail to be launched on June 7th. Six identical mermaids to be unveiled in various locations across New Brighton.

https://www.visitwirral.com/whats-on/mermaid-trail-p412761

What a lovely idea. Just wondering what the connection is between New Brighton and Mermaids ?

Mermaids across the world are euphemisms for prostitutes. grin Explain that to the kids WBC ...
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Mermaid Trail - 27th Apr 2018 9:08pm
This sounds like an "achievable" event for Wirral ! What with the failed water spout fiasco and trams and dock regeneration..and golf course. New Brighton ...mermaids and clown..
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Mermaid Trail - 27th Apr 2018 9:58pm
It was 'achievable'. It has been in-situ since June 2017. smile
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Mermaid Trail - 27th Apr 2018 10:14pm
Apparently, Wirral can boast of a mermaid of the genuinely fishy variety - so it's said! Here's a link to the tale:
https://www.facebook.com/HiddenWirr...8833/338411062996468/?type=1&theater
Posted By: Habdab Re: Mermaid Trail - 27th Apr 2018 10:24pm
Originally Posted by fish5133
This sounds like an "achievable" event for Wirral ! What with the failed water spout fiasco and trams and dock regeneration..and golf course. New Brighton ...mermaids and clown..

Whatever happened to the giant statue of Neptune they were going to build in the sea off New Brighton?
Posted By: granny Re: Mermaid Trail - 27th Apr 2018 11:11pm

Just read the myths and legends, Greenwood. Surprisingly, tonight was the night ! Anniversary of the perishing of the men on board Ship Dolphin apart from John Robinson. 29th April.. doesn't say which year. Maybe the mermaid will be back on the rock tonight ! Wouldn't surprise me. wink
Posted By: granny Re: Mermaid Trail - 27th Apr 2018 11:22pm
Originally Posted by Habdab
Originally Posted by fish5133

Whatever happened to the giant statue of Neptune they were going to build in the sea off New Brighton?

Think that was another ambitious idea that floated away on the foam. That was first mentioned around the year 2000. A few of us went on a trip to see the location from the other side (Waterloo/Crosby end). It would have looked fabulous from there, of course. From this side, now probably a backdrop of cranes.

The What's On Wirral website needs to be a bit clearer. When searching for events for 2018, the above Mermaid Trail comes up as being quote 'New Brighton's new tourist trail to be launched on 7th June " ...
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Mermaid Trail - 27th Apr 2018 11:47pm
Originally Posted by granny

The What's On Wirral website needs to be a bit clearer. When searching for events for 2018, the above Mermaid Trail comes up as being quote 'New Brighton's new tourist trail to be launched on 7th June " ...

I thought it was adaquatley publicised at the beginning of the installations (2017). Perhaps not for those on the other side of the M53? think which is 'worrying'.

Well worth a visit though. Each Mermaid has been 'customised' by groups.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Mermaid Trail - 27th Apr 2018 11:55pm
Mermaid Trail June 2017

Attached picture mm1.jpg
Attached picture mm3.jpg
Attached picture mm2.jpg
Attached picture mm7.jpg
Attached picture mm8.jpg
Posted By: granny Re: Mermaid Trail - 28th Apr 2018 10:51am

Tourism doesn't confine itself to Wirral residents alone ...
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Mermaid Trail - 28th Apr 2018 11:10pm
Thanks Rude.
Posted By: venice Re: Mermaid Trail - 29th Apr 2018 10:24am
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Originally Posted by granny

I thought it was adaquatley publicised at the beginning of the installations (2017). Perhaps not for those on the other side of the M53? think which is 'worrying'.

Well worth a visit though. Each Mermaid has been 'customised' by groups.

The fact that a lot of people the 'other council side of Wirral' dont get the Wirral News or Globe any more means a lot of info can be missed about whats going on the other side of Wirral . Groups like this make up for that a lot though. Have to admit I wasnt aware of them . The only route I do in New Brighton , is the prom and up to the 'Pearl' . Dont remember seeing one anywhere along there ? How long are they left in position?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Mermaid Trail - 29th Apr 2018 3:35pm
There is even one at Larton's iirc
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Mermaid Trail - 29th Apr 2018 3:48pm
I was in New Brighton yesterday and across the road from the Floral Pavilion towards the bottom of Victoria Road is a beautiful mermaid, decorated by St. George's Junior School - my old stomping ground! I have a pic but it's more than 2Mb and I'm not sure how to shrink it.
Posted By: venice Re: Mermaid Trail - 29th Apr 2018 9:46pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
There is even one at Larton's iirc

Is that the animal feed warehouse you mean DD - if theres one there Ill have a look next time I go -presume it might be near the nosebag fishpond?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Mermaid Trail - 29th Apr 2018 11:44pm
Its by one of the fishing ponds near one of the passing places iirc
Posted By: venice Re: Mermaid Trail - 30th Apr 2018 8:57am
Oh! --- well Im going to claim then that Im far too intent on being a careful driver to have seen it then lol ! Will have a look next week , thanks.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral