Forums
Posted By: Tait1969 Masonry on the Wirral - 5th Feb 2017 7:37pm
To anyone Interested - sky tv are soon to be airing a programme on the masons.

As a mason myself I would hope this will go some way to show the true value of the masons and dispel a lot of the myths.

Anyone who has managed to see the inside of any Masonic lodge will know that masons pride themselves on excellence none more so than in the decoration of the lodge rooms which are exquisite.

Masonry continues to be a massive giver to charity and I am proud to be part of it.

Our lodge and members would always welcome speaking to anyone with interest and they can drop me a note if they are.

Steve

Posted By: fish5133 Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 6th Feb 2017 1:29pm
Hi tait

As a mason myself I would hope this will go some way to show the true value of the masons and dispel a lot of the myths.

What myths need dispelling.
Posted By: granny Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 6th Feb 2017 2:50pm

I get confused about the 'charity' thing. Maybe that could be dispelled.

The Freemasons' Grand Charity, has or is become part of the Masonic Charitable Foundation (another Foundation, plenty of those about now) .
The Masonic Charitable Foundation seems to provide a lot of support for Freemasons and their families too.

Since 1980 £100 million to Freemasons and their dependants.

https://www.grandcharity.org/

The Freemasons' Grand Charity provides assistance for Freemasons and their dependants who are experiencing financial hardship or need.

Grants are given towards:

Essential daily living costs and unexpected needs (e.g. hardship faced following an accident, redundancy, or other personal crisis)

During 2013, £3.7 million was approved to assist Freemasons and their families.

Eligibility Criteria ?

https://www.grandcharity.org/pages/masonic_grants.html
Posted By: eddtheduck Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 6th Feb 2017 3:39pm
"Lift your left leg put your right arm under said knee show right nipple now you've got the contract" the mafia do the same thing with horse heads on beds. it's all down to you rub my belly I'll rub yours back handers.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 6th Feb 2017 4:12pm
Originally Posted by eddtheduck
"Lift your left leg put your right arm under said knee show right nipple now you've got the contract"

I saw someone doing that in the gutter outside the clubs in Conway street. I didn't realise the significance at the time, she must have been a member of Order of the Eastern Star, I can't imagine what sort of contract she was offering.
Posted By: Tait1969 Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 6th Feb 2017 10:01pm
Granny, trust me the charity element and giving to masons and families is just part of it. It's only the same as me supporting my family and friends.

What I am taking about is the the real charity which is the money we donate to real charities which is not shouted from the rooftops but runs into millions.

Our local lodge has often supported local charities and the last few years has raised money for maggies / cancer care for example.

Those looking in often do not see the other stuff that happens but those who are part of it know the value of being a mason and how they positively impact society.

Posted By: Tait1969 Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 6th Feb 2017 10:03pm
Really - what is that all about! I couldn't even comment I'm afraid.
Posted By: Tait1969 Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 6th Feb 2017 10:08pm
Watch the programme - one being that we are not a secretive society when we are simply a society with secrets - all built on tradition.

A lot of what I have read is just not accurate as I am sure many others will tell you!!
Posted By: granny Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 6th Feb 2017 10:10pm
Originally Posted by Tait1969
Granny, trust me the charity element and giving to masons and families is just part of it. It's only the same as me supporting my family and friends.

What I am taking about is the the real charity which is the money we donate to real charities which is not shouted from the rooftops but runs into millions.

Our local lodge has often supported local charities and the last few years has raised money for maggies / cancer care for example.

Those looking in often do not see the other stuff that happens but those who are part of it know the value of being a mason and how they positively impact society.

Thank you Tait. smile
Posted By: Screach Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 6th Feb 2017 10:11pm
As a mason myself who has been involved for over 11 years I have nothing but positive comments about masonry . The main reason I joined was charitable giving and it was a visit to Arrowe park hospital when my six month old son was really ill and I nearly lost him I realised the importance . He was given alittle bear as all children are given which I later found out was donated by cheshire masons . It's called TLC and details locally are here http://www.cheshiremasons.co.uk/teddies-for-loving-care-
appeal-tlc/.
My little boy pulled through and I won't forget that small but kind gesture .
If you want any proof to destroy the myth that Masons look after themselves please read this
http://www.cheshiremasons.co.uk/charitable-work/charity-welfare-newsletter-april-2016/.
Posted By: Tait1969 Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 6th Feb 2017 10:16pm
No problem Granny! 👍
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 6th Feb 2017 10:16pm
You need new terminology for referring to the practice.

"Masonry on the Wirral" sounds like someone has fly-tipped a waggon load of hardcore somewhere.
Posted By: Tait1969 Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 6th Feb 2017 10:19pm
Thanks Screech and for posting the links....

Your right - the TLC work has been mentioned to me lots of times and many have often commented on the positive impact the small gesture of a teddy bear does in a time of need and distress!

Masons don't often want to shout stuff from the rooftops and generally wish to go about their fundraising knowing they are doing good. I think it's fair to say it does make a big difference but a pleasure to do such things.

Posted By: casper Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 7th Feb 2017 7:36am
Thanks Screech and for posting the links....

Your right - the TLC work has been mentioned to me lots of times and many have often commented on the positive impact the small gesture of a teddy bear does in a time of need and distress!

Masons don't often want to shout stuff from the rooftops and generally wish to go about their fundraising knowing they are doing good. I think it's fair to say it does make a big
difference but a pleasure to do such things.

Your not doing bad on the trumpet, I am always suspicious of closed covert groups,but as you say my perception of a group that looks after and promotes its own members first may change after I view the programme.

Posted By: palemoon Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 7th Feb 2017 8:54am
You don't need to join the Masons to give to charity. You can ensure your family's financial security by taking out decent life insurance. You join the Masons to further benefit yourself. If there is a business contract in the offing a fellow Mason will get it. If you attend a job interview a fellow mason will offer you the position. And, who knows how many crimes have been covered up in order to protect fellow Masons?

Please, Masons, stop hiding behind the 'charity card' and tell the truth.
Posted By: casper Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 7th Feb 2017 9:12am
Straight to the point and well put palemoon, my perception exactly. yes
Posted By: Beethoven Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 7th Feb 2017 11:38am
I totally agree Palemoon, I know of three people who joined the Masons and quite openly admitted they did so to further their own business interests and they all did very well out of it.
Posted By: granny Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 7th Feb 2017 1:52pm
No problem Granny! 👍

Just one thing, can you explain the #128077 ? Is it a secret code, because it means absolutely nothing to me Tait ?
Posted By: eddtheduck Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 7th Feb 2017 4:06pm
Originally Posted by palemoon
You don't need to join the Masons to give to charity. You can ensure your family's financial security by taking out decent life insurance. You join the Masons to further benefit yourself. If there is a business contract in the offing a fellow Mason will get it. If you attend a job interview a fellow mason will offer you the position. And, who knows how many crimes have been covered up in order to protect fellow Masons?

Please, Masons, stop hiding behind the 'charity card' and tell the truth.
well put, would love to know how many masons are on the dole wink
Posted By: eddtheduck Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 7th Feb 2017 4:11pm
Originally Posted by granny
No problem Granny! 👍

Just one thing, can you explain the #128077 ? Is it a secret code, because it means absolutely nothing to me Tait ?
Granny #128077 means you've been blackballed by them raftl
Posted By: granny Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 7th Feb 2017 4:50pm
Originally Posted by eddtheduck
No problem Granny! 👍

Granny #128077 means you've been blackballed by them raftl

Talking about black balls, Edd be careful !
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 7th Feb 2017 4:52pm
It's the emoji for thumbs up, I guess he posted from a mobile.
Posted By: granny Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 7th Feb 2017 5:17pm

Thanks for that gem of wisdom, DD. I was beginning to think I had a secret admirer. Shucks ! Always the bridesmaid, never the bride cry
Posted By: palemoon Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 7th Feb 2017 5:27pm

Thanks for that gem of wisdom, DD. I was beginning to think I had a secret admirer. Shucks ! Always the bridesmaid, never the bride cry

You just wait until the 14th, granny. I'll bet you'll find that you have loads of secret admirers
Posted By: casper Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 7th Feb 2017 6:38pm

You just wait until the 14th, granny. I'll bet you'll find that you have loads of secret admirers

However you have to let them squeeze you leg whilst blindfolded. raftl
Posted By: Tait1969 Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 7th Feb 2017 6:51pm
Tut tut - we don't hide behind anything. Giving to charity isn't the only treason to join. Those who are not or never been members of a lodge wouldn't know..

I didn't say I joined to support my family - not sure sure where that came from!
Posted By: Tait1969 Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 7th Feb 2017 6:52pm
Ha ha - it was an emoji - smiley and wiki didn't like it!
Posted By: Tait1969 Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 7th Feb 2017 6:54pm
Perception is not reality I'm afraid
Posted By: Beethoven Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 7th Feb 2017 7:05pm
Is your perception reality Tait1969?
Posted By: Tait1969 Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 7th Feb 2017 10:56pm
I would like to think I am old, wise and patient enough to ensure any perceptions I have (about things) are proven before I consider them reality!
Posted By: Beethoven Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 7th Feb 2017 11:14pm
I'll take that as a yes then.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 8th Feb 2017 12:56am

More likely admirers with secrets rather than secret admirers.. smile
Posted By: granny Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 8th Feb 2017 9:17pm

Just wish everyone would stop pulling legs. grin

Back on topic lads, now you've had your bit of fun.

Posted By: sunnyside Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 8th Feb 2017 10:58pm
[Linked Image] granny you could join the lady masons.
Posted By: granny Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 9th Feb 2017 12:02am
My pinny wouldn't have deep enough pockets.
Posted By: granny Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 9th Feb 2017 12:09am

Poor Tait. I gave him a bad enough time when he last visited us and I felt a little guilty afterwards.

So, I'm not going to add to my bad manners any longer. He's trying to do his best.
As knowing what it's like to have everyone tell you your nuts if you go to church and believe in an afterlife, it's not very fair to condemn another for their own involvement in an organisation.

That's an apology Tait. They're all heathens on here, such a dreadful lot to deal with at times smile
Posted By: oldpm01 Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 9th Feb 2017 12:40pm
HI all

Been following this thread and all the usual myths about Freemasons pop up - what a surprise!

There are all sorts of different "secret" or otherwise societies: Catenians, Rotary, Round Table, Soroptimists - an endless list. And many of these have very strict joining criteria.

Freemasonry is not secret - Google and find out but look on a regular site - not a conspiracy site.

Whilst charity is important, and not only to Freemasons but probably to all of us whether through an organisation or through our own giving, Freemasonry does also offer something that you will again find in the other organisations that people look for in these times. Friendship, sense of belonging, opportunity for deeper thinking about past and future....

Keep an open mind, watch the documentary, do a bit of proper research before drawing conclusions....

Posted By: casper Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 9th Feb 2017 1:29pm
Most certainly opportunity, if of course you are a mason, you scratch my back, or maybe you squeeze my leg and all will be open to you, and yes I do know a little bit.
Posted By: L3rxst Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 9th Feb 2017 11:19pm
The charity thing is just a cover up and conscience balance for other nefarious activities that generally cost communities and not benefit them. In my personal experience.
Posted By: Beethoven Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 10th Feb 2017 9:26am
Originally Posted by casper
Most certainly opportunity, if of course you are a mason, you scratch my back, or maybe you squeeze my leg and all will be open to you, and yes I do know a little bit.
. "Squeeze my leg and all will be open to you." Now there's a thought.
Posted By: casper Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 10th Feb 2017 9:40am
Oop's well spotted blush
Posted By: Tait1969 Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 11th Feb 2017 3:54pm
Thanks. Not sure I'm doing my best though. I am simply sharing my thoughts and experience of being a mason. So many people criticise without understanding!

Posted By: Beethoven Re: Masonry on the Wirral - 11th Feb 2017 4:36pm
I read a book about the Masons years ago, it seems that the Masons lodges range between the benign social club type that Tait seems to belong, to the more malign insidious lodges such as those with the upper echelons of the police, politicians and even royalty as members.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral