Forums
Posted By: Excoriator A bad experience. - 21st Feb 2016 10:29am
Returning from a visit to Speke Hall, on an impulse, we decided to take our young grandson to the Britannia Inn near the Festival Gardens in Liverpool. It proved a big mistake. It was one of the worst pub meals I have ever experienced.

On entering, there was no indication of how to order food, an I was brusquely told to stand the other side of a tatty rope in front of the bar. On ordering drinks I was told that there was no meat available at the carvery. The choice was fish or sausages. We could wait in the hope of it becoming available or choose fish or sausages immediately. We chose fish and chips and my grandson sausages, and was given a paper chit for each meal.

The place is not exactly dirty, but it isn't notably clean either, and seemed to be very noisy. In time we were told to go and fetch our meals from the carvery, only to find that by this time the meat had arrived and was being dispensed with rather small portions being carved to a longish queue. We were handed out plates with fish on, and told to help ourselves to chips. There were none however, so we had to make do with roast potatoes. There were no mushy peas either. There were sausages however, so my grandson had those. He'd wanted peas but there were none available.

We'd eaten our meal and I had to queue at the bar to order puddings. By this time they'd run out of meat again! My grandson wanted ice cream with strawberry sauce, and was handed a dish and told to help himself at a dispensing machine. I had to help him with this, and noticed that the strawberry topping consisted of two empty plastic squeeze bottles lying in a pool of spilled sticky juice. I asked the server if he could find some more which he did, and dumped it for us in the pool of sauce. he made no move to remove the empties or clean up the spillage however.

Whilst my Grandson finished his ice cream, we waited for out desserts whilst a family row at an adjacent table built up to the extent that the man was effing and blinding at his wife at deafening volume whilst his two children wept. Unable to stand any more we left, sans puddings.

It is a great pity. With different management it could be excellent. The location is great, although the design of the building makes poor use of the view of the river. The food - when available - seems unremarkable but edible 'pub grub' and the staff were clearly overworked rather than hostile. It was just badly run. I shan't go back lightly.
Posted By: granny Re: A bad experience. - 21st Feb 2016 11:05am
Very nice !!!

You do understand that in all things we are encouraged to see the 'bigger picture'. Therefore, I assume it was a day to be remembered for ever and it is the 'experience' that counts.

Posted By: Anonymous Re: A bad experience. - 21st Feb 2016 11:53am
You get what you pay for!!! That's not a smart quip, its just how it is ex. We have all done it.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: A bad experience. - 21st Feb 2016 3:28pm
Sadly no pride respect in their work or whatever pride they had has been squeezed out with poor wages and overwork. My lad been working in a shop in Liverpool for nearly a year and cant believe how lazy and "cant be arsed" attitude of some of his colleagues. Not always the case "you get what you pay for"--used to go the pub at parkgate that did a cheap carvery and it was always pretty good. Was it half term? usually very busy time
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: A bad experience. - 21st Feb 2016 3:32pm
Never seems to change, walked out from there a while back.
Posted By: starakita Re: A bad experience. - 21st Feb 2016 7:30pm
We went there a few years ago,it was this time of year & half term wasn't busy & we got the food we orderd but that was going back a few years obviously gone downhill since then.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: A bad experience. - 21st Feb 2016 9:33pm
In contrast--just come back from 12th Man Greasby (nice Christmas pressie- a pub gift card) Very busy , service was fine, very polite despite run off there feet, bit of a wait for food but not in a rush, quality-- average decent pub grub and quite a varied menu. Some decent deals as well.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: A bad experience. - 22nd Feb 2016 11:05am
Awful place, terrible service, poor quality beer.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: A bad experience. - 27th Feb 2016 9:16am
Fortunately, I had the good sense to stick to Guinness. It was that or Lager with some poor quality commercial bitter I think.

I think it's a pity that it is so poorly run. The location is excellent and with enthusiastic management it could be brilliant. I suspect its location is attractive enough to draw sufficient punters in fro it not to have to try very hard. It is part of a chain, so probably compares well, financially, with far better run but less attractively located others in the company.
Posted By: eddtheduck Re: A bad experience. - 4th Mar 2016 4:18pm
Wasn't the Liverpool v man city game on this sunday? Could this add to why there was no meat or chips wink
© Wirral-Wikiwirral