Forums
Posted By: granny Parkgate Ice cream - 1st Jul 2015 7:14pm
Not so long ago, there was talk on the Ice Cream in Parkgate (I think). Nicholls being the most famous. Well , here's news. Made a visit today and had an ice cream from the famous Nicholls Ice Cream shop. Next door to Nicholls is another Ice Cream shop. So after eating Nicholls, we decided to visit the shop next door and ask some questions and buy another ice cream just for testing !

Those people have been selling ice cream at Parkgate for 30 years. Although Nicholls has the reputation ,it has been sold on and the lady who owns the Parkgate Homemade Ice Cream shop used to be at Nicholls. Not sure if she once owned Nicholls , didn't ask that.

Anyway, on personal recommendation, Parkgate Homemade Ice Cream shop's ice cream is so much nicer. Not so many choices, but definitely much nicer.

http://www.visitparkgate.co.uk/#/famous-ice-cream/4552888575
Posted By: venice Re: Parkgate Ice cream - 1st Jul 2015 7:27pm
That doesnt surprise me Granny. The last time I bought icecream from Nicholls , it was a huge disappointment , tasted quite powdery and synthetic.

ps how noble , taking the trouble to try both in the interests of research . lol.
Posted By: Madge Re: Parkgate Ice cream - 1st Jul 2015 7:55pm
is it the one to the left of nicholls, if so i always use them, always been better than nicholls
Posted By: neddy Re: Parkgate Ice cream - 1st Jul 2015 8:05pm
have had mint choc in both,lots more and bigger choc chips next door to nichols really enjoyed it,and no long queuing,think i will be going there more often
Posted By: starakita Re: Parkgate Ice cream - 1st Jul 2015 8:44pm
I've been in both ice cream shops,agreed Nicholls has more choices but I like the ice cream from the smaller shop & it's open later
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Parkgate Ice cream - 1st Jul 2015 10:48pm
Had a lemon sorbet from Nicholls recently---so refreshing on a hot day. Think Nicholls opening hours are longer than the small shop.
Posted By: venice Re: Parkgate Ice cream - 1st Jul 2015 11:19pm
Tell you what I do like though if at home - the new Magnum pistachios flavour , and Carte D'ors new Blueberry . Yum
Posted By: Tatey Re: Parkgate Ice cream - 2nd Jul 2015 7:14am
I was also at Nichols yesterday (Wed)but did not try next door. Must do next time though!
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Parkgate Ice cream - 2nd Jul 2015 10:22am
I've seen people queuing out the door at Nichols while next door has been empty, must be very disheartening for them.
Posted By: Santos Re: Parkgate Ice cream - 2nd Jul 2015 2:24pm
Cafe Creme at New Brighton is far superior to either of the two shops in Parkgate. Its just snobbery value - must go to Parkgate despite the smelly and fly ridden marshes - I enjoy a much tastier ice cream with far more choices at New Brighton, much more interesting view too watching the ships.
Posted By: DeanoBirko Re: Parkgate Ice cream - 3rd Jul 2015 11:41am
I always go to the smaller one, no queues and tastes better.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Parkgate Ice cream - 3rd Jul 2015 1:53pm
Ships?
Posted By: Santos Re: Parkgate Ice cream - 3rd Jul 2015 4:22pm
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
Ships?

Yes ships ? things that float on water and carry people and cargo to other countries.

Posted By: granny Re: Parkgate Ice cream - 3rd Jul 2015 5:49pm
The thing is Santos, should I go to New Brighton ,I can only afford one ice cream but as Parkgate is nearer I can afford TWO !!

That's the REAL DEAL

...plus, a mixture of Liverpool docks and wind turbines are not what could be termed as a 'beautiful view'. smile
Posted By: starakita Re: Parkgate Ice cream - 3rd Jul 2015 6:16pm
The ice cream shop in front of wilkies fair sells nice ice cream & a variety of flavours
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Parkgate Ice cream - 3rd Jul 2015 6:22pm
Am not that keen on Ice cream,however did any of you notice the 'Mosquito Menace' has gone,the little project they had going on on the marsh seems to have worked,I haven't noticed any for the past two years.

http://www.aboutmyarea.co.uk/Cheshi...-Project-Will-Help-Fight-Mosquito-Menace
Posted By: granny Re: Parkgate Ice cream - 3rd Jul 2015 9:32pm
Didn't see any mosquitoes or flies and the marshes didn't smell.

saw plenty of birds and some nesting on the marshes. Lovely.
Posted By: pablo42 Re: Parkgate Ice cream - 10th Jul 2015 5:58pm
I'm with Santos. New Brighton far superior
© Wirral-Wikiwirral