Forums
Posted By: Excoriator Wirral Waters - 21st Mar 2015 9:57am
Wirral made it to the current edition of 'Private Eye' in a piece on the disastrous 'Wirral Waters' project. It would appear that no large companies have applied to locate there, and the 'Chinese money' that was supposed to have financed it has turned out to be smoke and mirrors. In other words it is a hopeless flop. I think the only people to move in have proved to be the local FE college. They will, at least have peace and quiet, and plenty of room to expand further.

The 'Eye' publishes a magnificent 'artists impression' of how it was supposed to be which makes Manhattan look like a collection of garden sheds. It is cruelly entitled "How it won't look".

It always seemed bizarrely unrealistic to me that the world's mightiest corporations might suddenly discover the charms of ...er Birkenhead docks, and flood in, competing for the best sites, when they had been notable only for their absence up till then, but what do I know.

The council has form for ridiculous projects however. I might cite the 'Hamilton Quarter' folly which was supposed to regenerate that part of the town. It didn't of course. It remains largely deserted with little traffic and few people about.

And Then there is the 'Birkenhead Column' - a project only marginally less technically plausible than a magic wand, on which about half a million pounds was spent to prove it was a hopeless flop.

Sometimes, you can only shake your head in disbelief!

Posted By: Dilly Re: Wirral Waters - 21st Mar 2015 1:04pm
I feel for the people that bought the flats in the old converted mill with promises of it eventually becoming like the Albert dock. It was never going to happen sandwiched between Seacombe and Birkenhead.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Wirral Waters - 21st Mar 2015 3:32pm
It's good to see Wirral 'on the map' I suppose. As Oscar Wilde observed, "There is only one thing worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about!"

I wonder what the next wacco scheme to catch the attention of the council will be? Silicon Tranmere perhaps? The Bidston Spaceport (launches twice a week by arrangement with the parish council)? The Trans-Wirral Maglev?

It's no laughing matter! These are JUST the sort of things to appeal to them.
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral Waters - 21st Mar 2015 4:26pm
There has been controversy from the word go with this development.
Stella Shui was a bogus player, the council couldn't wait to get over there and put an X on the dotted line, on behalf of building up Mr Whittakers empire. (Foulksy was one of the first to chase over there and then I believe, subsequently had a holiday in Bermuda or Bahamas where Mr Whittaker owns property)

Even the Chinese didn't know of this Stella Shui who I think was supposed to be in minerals. raftl

Peel Holdings bought Cammell Laird in 2007 for the purpose of the development.

Peel Holdings were looking for 'prestigious 'offices in Birkenhead. Where more 'prestigious' that Birkenhead Town Hall which was for some reason closed ?

The developers intended to submit proposals to the Wirral Council by Christmas 2008.[8] This did not happen and on 2 November 2009, the developers stated they would post the application soon.[9] However, they threatened to pull out of the scheme if the Government called a public inquiry into it. shocked

Wirral Met has made it's intentions known for the development of skills towards the Wirral Waters scheme.

The millions that must have been wasted, because the local Council that is made up of mostly 'wannabees' yet again was too trusting and ignorant and wanted themselves to look like top dogs and get the praise. They haven't a clue, and if councils are given more powers, you can bet your bottom dollar, there will be far more cover-ups than what there are at the moment.

Personally, they should all be accountable for every last penny wasted on this venture and Peel holdings should at long last, be told to F off.
The money for development wasn't coming out of his pocket, but he's cost us council tax payers, one heck of a lot. When was Wirral Waters set up ? How much has that cost ?

somad

Must say, I didn't like the plans anyway, far too extravagant for this area and it would have looked like any other port of call throughout the world. Why not a bit of character for once ? I bet the Arabs will move in and get it now, remenicent (sp) of the slaves in Cleopatra.
Be careful what you wish for !!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral Waters - 21st Mar 2015 4:39pm
This is hard to believe when the reporting in such recent weeks/months, includes the following articles.....all very positive.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/all-about/wirral-waters

No wonder the CEO has done a runner. The new one is on £40k more than the last one . ha ha, not much is it ?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wirral Waters - 21st Mar 2015 6:09pm
Three years on and not a penny of investment found other than from public money. Its two years since it started becoming obvious that Stella Shiu was not going to perform. The council keep making announcements but nothing materialises.

Along with the Birkenhead/Wallasey docks, Bidston moss being on hold, so are the Seven Streets and the old River Streets. What Hitler failed to flatten and convert to wasteland, the council have done since.

Cammel Lairds have been making extensive use of the West Float and it must be a great period of uncertainty for them as well.

The A41 industrial corridor seems to have been doing fairly well recently with more investment and fewer closures, I believe Peel Holdings have their fingers in that as well.

To my mind, once it became apparent that Liverpool Waters was on the map, Wirral Waters was going to become a lower priority, especially when the two projects started coming under the same title of Mersey Waters.
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral Waters - 21st Mar 2015 6:45pm
Thinking about it, those articles in the link to Liverpool Echo, must have been released by WMBC Press and PR department, therefore our council, yet again, must have been trying to fob us off.
Making press releases like those, should not have been happening when they new things weren't right ! I wonder who passed them ????
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Wirral Waters - 21st Mar 2015 7:31pm
Well, I haven't noticed any furious building activity in the Liverpool venture either. Looking across the water, not a brick has been set upon a brick as far as I can see.

Is the Liverpool development in the same straits as the Wirral one I wonder?
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral Waters - 21st Mar 2015 7:44pm
I just think it so strange that particularly Manchester, also Leeds, Sheffield just seem to be able to get things right, but Liverpool and Wirral, consistently fail. Whatever happened to the wonderful Liverpool tram venture ? Another failed excursion.

Mind you, once upon a time anyone from Liverpool was unlikely to get employment elsewhere, due to the general militant attitude. Maybe the reputation goes before them ,even now. You can't blame companies for not wishing to enter into a volatile zone.
Posted By: GeeMeister Re: Wirral Waters - 21st Mar 2015 7:55pm
...and while Birkenhead and the general area are referred to nationally as Liverpool the stigma may well continue.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wirral Waters - 21st Mar 2015 10:22pm
The problems roll back to post-WW2, while most of the other parts of the country got significant re-building money, Merseyside, despite being one of the hardest hit, didn't get anywhere near its fair share. There are still WW2 bombed out areas around but admittedly these have diminished quite rapidly in recent years.

Liverpool Waters is steaming ahead, investment appears to have been agreed for three of the private developments because detailed planning permission was put in for them last month. A forth development is under way with detailed planning permission expected to be placed in autumn.

Liverpool 2 container depot must be near completion, I've not looked but the pile-driving finished some time ago and I assume the slab laying stage is done. The dock cranes have been bought.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Wirral Waters - 22nd Mar 2015 12:15am
I see in the Globe the council are spending £4.3m on some new lamp posts. Wonder if these will then be kept switched off to save money.
Posted By: GeeMeister Re: Wirral Waters - 22nd Mar 2015 12:41am
Probably ligting the way to the Golf course.
Posted By: Wally1 Re: Wirral Waters - 22nd Mar 2015 1:35am
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
The problems roll back to post-WW2, while most of the other parts of the country got significant re-building money, Merseyside, despite being one of the hardest hit, didn't get anywhere near its fair share. There are still WW2 bombed out areas around but admittedly these have diminished quite rapidly in recent years.

Liverpool Waters is steaming ahead, investment appears to have been agreed for three of the private developments because detailed planning permission was put in for them last month. A forth development is under way with detailed planning permission expected to be placed in autumn.

Liverpool 2 container depot must be near completion, I've not looked but the pile-driving finished some time ago and I assume the slab laying stage is done. The dock cranes have been bought.

The pile driving is only about half completed and continues
daily - quite loudly at times.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wirral Waters - 22nd Mar 2015 2:46am
Cheers Wally1, I used to be able to hear it if I listened carefully and haven't heard it for ages so thought it had finished. Perhaps its just away from shore in deeper water now so it doesn't resonate as much.

They started late 2013 and 345 piles to put in, whole project was supposed to complete before the end of this year, I thought they'd be well ahead on their way by now.

People around Seaforth must be pulling their teeth out if the pile driving has been going on this long.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Wirral Waters - 22nd Mar 2015 9:05am
Good to hear the Liverpool development is going well anyway. Perhaps it will spill over to us on the Wirral.

Have you got a link to the £4.3 million being spent on lamp posts Fish5133? I'm interested in that for different reasons, but didn't see it in the Globe
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Wirral Waters - 22nd Mar 2015 10:57am
A bit more research reveals Liverpool waters seems to be taking off.

I've found a link to the lamp-posts, by the way - here:

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/wirral-council-set-abandon-plans-7885989
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral Waters - 26th Mar 2015 6:35pm
They make me darn well sick. They have a budget ,so they have to spend it on anything they can come up with.

The labour councillor knocked on my door the other day stating that he is going to try and get Barnston Road to 30mph. He had seen many vehicles going faster than the present 40mph as he'd walked long the road. My response was ,...if everyone is hissed off with the stop start continuous journey all the way from Birkenhead, as soon as drivers hit an open road they will go faster, but overall I have never really noticed much speeding happening so much (considering I drive along most days) and a reduced speed limit won't change anything. Asked why should he spend the money on that, he said they have the budget and that by the dips on Barnston road/ Gills Lane there are always accidents. 15 years and I've never seen one. Bearing in mind, that is 30mph anyway! Some young trumped up twerp with baggy trousers trying to get his name in lights. If they slow traffic down much more, we won't be going anywhere. Gridlock all the way. He lives somewhere completely different to this area and has no idea what is going on.

Touting for votes ? Don't come knocking on my door, talking tripe !!! Grrrrrr

...and that Arrowe Park and Woodchurch Road is worse than getting through the centre of Liverpool and out to Lark Lane area. We don't even live in a city FFS !

He should make sure the trees are pruned instead before they get diseased and have to be slaughtered.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Wirral Waters - 27th Mar 2015 9:41am
Originally Posted by granny
The labour councillor knocked on my door the other day stating that he is going to try and get Barnston Road to 30mph. He had seen many vehicles going faster than the present 40mph as he'd walked long the road.

You're right. If people are speeding beyond 40, they're not going to change their habits if the speed is reduced further.

There's a dual carriageway running into Warrington from the M56. They reduced it from NSL to 60, to 50 and now to 40. It doesn't deter the speeders.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Wirral Waters - 27th Mar 2015 9:44am
As for Wirral Waters, its going to be a huge flop.

Peel are pushing a similar scheme in Manchester:

Warm reception for Trafford Waters plans say Peel bosses

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/business/warm-reception-trafford-waters-plans-8913510

Wirral suffers because of its location. How can you encourage any big business to come here when its difficult to get to? If you come via the M62 you have to battle through Liverpool and the tunnels bottlenecks.

And its a very long way round via the M56 and M53, both of which get clogged up or closed on a daily basis.

The only positive would be to have a nice view across to Liverpool, and that only benefits employees.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Wirral Waters - 27th Mar 2015 2:32pm
I wouldn't take Peel's dreams very seriously. They only build when they have tenants, and the glamorous pics and the computer generated fly-through videos are designed to enthuse potential clients rather than to be taken as what it will really be like.

I am quite sure that if a tenant could be found wanting to locate an oil refinery or a coal-yard on the site and prepared to pay for it, that is what would be built, and the gleaming crystalline skyscrapers, heliports, and water skiers and yachts would be instantly dumped!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wirral Waters - 27th Mar 2015 2:35pm
I think Peel are going to get their come-uppance in the next few years, they own too much land and don't have any capital. Peel basically bully councils into doing things by promising loads of money to be spent (that they haven't got) but also say to the council if there are any problems with planning permission then we will take the money elsewhere.

They've done this time after time and the gullible councils fall for it. Unfortunately once a council starts along the trail with them, they are effectively locked in.

As soon as someone issues threats like that, the councils should run a mile, the councils should be ashamed of themselves for manipulating the planning system to make things easier for Peel.

Peel also use tax reduction techniques, using the Isle-of-man as a tax haven and using shares instead of money. What's even more annoying is that a lot of the projects are financed by public money.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wirral Waters - 27th Mar 2015 2:45pm
I do wish people wouldn't mention Peel on here without prior warning. I like to have a spittoon or a vomit bowl handy when thinking of them !! sick
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wirral Waters - 27th Mar 2015 4:27pm
PEEL HOLDINGS raftl
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Wirral Waters - 27th Mar 2015 4:58pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
PEEL HOLDINGS raftl

I am sometimes tempted to doubt your parentage !! wink
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wirral Waters - 12th May 2015 2:10am
Wirral Water's first non-public-money company is progressing, the Contact Company's call centre for 400 jobs, I doubt if this is 400 full-time jobs but at least its a sizeable employer.

No sign of Chinese investment or companies, nor the automotive car parts industry.

Liverpool's deep water terminal is progressing, a picture from tonight.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: keef666 Re: Wirral Waters - 12th May 2015 5:07pm
Went over the bridges yesterday as i had an appointment in Birkenhead, and right next to this new College was a big truck and couple of guys working near the boarding, passed the second bridge, no idear what they were doing but as the tail back of traffic was building up, i thought was stupid person thought about blocking the road during rush hour, as for this new college i took one look at it and thought it looked like a warehouse, then on the other block of land to the left is an office block, why did this college get planing permission to build on the site its on now, the office block would have been better sited, and the college on the site of the office block, so who ever thought of this should be stood against a wall and shot, there is just going to be a no go area soon! or with a bit of luck a big piece of space rock might fall from the sky and knock the bloody lot down!
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Wirral Waters - 30th May 2015 2:45pm
I think the college could have been built almost anywhere without making a lot of difference to it, so its primary concern is low rent. Peel is desperate for ANYONE to come and build there so were probably prepared to offer a very good deal.

As for the call centre, again it doesn't really matter where they are situated - many are in India. Again low cost is the most important factor.

Call centres are invariably located where there is a lot of cheap labour and Birkenhead probably beats Mumbai these days in this respect.

I don't think either say anything very optimistic about the future prospects of Wirral Waters!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wirral Waters - 30th May 2015 4:21pm
Its hardly green or economical to the country for the college to knock down Birkenhead Tech, Withens Lane and Carlett Park then build three new colleges.

Refurbish don't rebuild!
Posted By: starakita Re: Wirral Waters - 30th May 2015 6:11pm
The new college is for teaching students who want to work in the building trade.My nephew has done 2 weeks work experience there as he's doing quite well while at the college & they sent some of the students there during the Easter break.
Posted By: Slinky Re: Wirral Waters - 2nd Jun 2015 8:19am
Originally Posted by Excoriator

As for the call centre, again it doesn't really matter where they are situated - many are in India. Again low cost is the most important factor.

It's certainly not a low cost project but there's a lot of European funding being used for it.

Straight into the Developer's and the Call Centre's pockets.

Cha-ching.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wirral Waters - 10th Jun 2015 6:37pm
Peel Holdings have backed out of the Wirral International Trade Centre - incredibly they reckon the discredited Stella Shiu will continue it alone with her Sam Wa company.

SOURCE

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wirral Waters - 12th Dec 2015 3:47am
Two bits of news on Wirral Waters ....

Firstly the International Trade Centre (ITC) will no longer be in Birkenhead, it will be on a much smaller site in Bromborough but I believe financing is still in the hands of Stella Shiu so don't hold your breath.

Secondly, there is considerable progress on the old oil site at the west end of the docks, various contracts have been organised for two buildings.

Other notes are The Contact Centre on Tower Wharf (which isn't really part of Wirral Waters) is up and running and also the new college (which I think is Wirral Waters) is up and running and you can enjoy watching students hard at work as you drive past.
Posted By: granny Re: Wirral Waters - 12th Dec 2015 11:07am
What are Peel's plans for Birkenhead/Wallasey now, does anyone know ?
Pretty big fiasco so far, just needs the cherry on the top really. Followed by a breakdown of wasted council funds, on the whole process !
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wirral Waters - 15th Mar 2018 11:37am
Latest designs for Egerton Wharf, with the boats in the picture does this mean they intend to open Morpeth Dock into the river again?

Attached picture DYUlAUsW0AALZhR-s.jpg
Attached picture DYUlAUxW4AAtEXq-s.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wirral Waters - 15th Mar 2018 12:07pm
And another Wirral Waters announcement https://www.entirelyproperty.com/ne...for-uks-largest-regeneration-project6580
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Wirral Waters - 15th Mar 2018 6:05pm
1000 new homes...that should bring a lot more Universal Credit to the borough.. One would hope the creation of at least a 1000 new jobs to provide income for them. Just walking around Birkenhead town centre today was soul destroying..no wonder M and S want out.. I know its easy to be negative and [censored] off those who appear to be trying (on nice fat salaries albeit) but it just seems like promises been going on for decades.
Posted By: keef666 Re: Wirral Waters - 18th Mar 2018 5:51pm
A 1000 new house and a fund of £145 million, are they going to be made from recycled cardboard,A £145 million isn't going to go far i read the link and it says they expect a further £200 million, i expect to win the lottery each week but never do!
But they build a thousand new homes, and say on averge two people live in them = Two thousand home owners, plus cars where do this people work?
The builders will be brought in!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wirral Waters - 18th Mar 2018 6:14pm
Originally Posted by keef666
A 1000 new house and a fund of £145 million, are they going to be made from recycled cardboard

£145,000 a house/apartment seems pretty good.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Wirral Waters - 10th Apr 2018 11:22am
Latest Wirral Waters releases, Peel have applied for permission to build a dementia care village at Wirral Waters https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/ne...al-waters-momentum/#.WsyKfnko6hM.twitter

Woodside Ventilation tower regeneration plans released to have "structural glass additions, scenic lifts to observation decks with 360 views of the Mersey Region, Liverpool Waterfront and Wirral Waters"
Posted By: keef666 Re: Wirral Waters - 15th Apr 2018 3:25pm
[quote=diggingdeeper]Latest Wirral Waters releases, Peel have applied for permission to build a dementia care village at Wirral Waters https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/ne...al-waters-momentum/#.WsyKfnko6hM.twitter

Will Wirral Council be moving in to it when its built?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Wirral Waters - 15th Apr 2018 11:32pm
People with dementia living in high rise flats, next to a body of water? Hmmmm think
Posted By: venice Re: Wirral Waters - 16th Apr 2018 10:09am

Agree granny , Ive never seen one there either . Re speed limits , maybe councils should pay more heed to what other councils have found. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12/17/20mph-limit-dangerous-costly-reverse-council-admits/

Originally Posted by granny
They make me darn well sick. They have a budget ,so they have to spend it on anything they can come up with.

The labour councillor knocked on my door the other day stating that he is going to try and get Barnston Road to 30mph. He had seen many vehicles going faster than the present 40mph as he'd walked long the road. My response was ,...if everyone is hissed off with the stop start continuous journey all the way from Birkenhead, as soon as drivers hit an open road they will go faster, but overall I have never really noticed much speeding happening so much (considering I drive along most days) and a reduced speed limit won't change anything. Asked why should he spend the money on that, he said they have the budget and that by the dips on Barnston road/ Gills Lane there are always accidents. 15 years and I've never seen one. Bearing in mind, that is 30mph anyway! Some young trumped up twerp with baggy trousers trying to get his name in lights. If they slow traffic down much more, we won't be going anywhere. Gridlock all the way. He lives somewhere completely different to this area and has no idea what is going on.

Touting for votes ? Don't come knocking on my door, talking tripe !!! Grrrrrr

...and that Arrowe Park and Woodchurch Road is worse than getting through the centre of Liverpool and out to Lark Lane area. We don't even live in a city FFS !

He should make sure the trees are pruned instead before they get diseased and have to be slaughtered.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral