Forums
Posted By: Bizzybee1 Scam alert! - 24th Feb 2015 12:19pm
Just received a phone call from one of our Asian cousins claiming to work for a legal company representing the Ministry of Justice. Apparently I am due £2,700 compensation less 10% admin charge. I am to receive this in the form of a cheque which will be delivered to my address personally by one their company's representatives. Upon receipt of this I am expected to pay the 10% back in the form of a Ukash cheque.

Now I could be accused of being sceptical here, but if their cheque bounced and they accepted my Ukash cheque, I could be £270 out of pocket. So, I asked if there was any objection to my neighbour, who is is a CID inspector , being present when their representative called........ and the line went dead.
Posted By: venice Re: Scam alert! - 24th Feb 2015 1:53pm
LOL! Just what they deserve.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Scam alert! - 24th Feb 2015 11:19pm
Received an email from an email address of a friend (there email list probably hacked) asking to wire transfer 2450 euros to help them pay their hotel bill after being mugged in Ukraine. of course they would pay me back when they get back to Blighty.
Posted By: granny Re: Scam alert! - 25th Feb 2015 11:31am
My son had one a few years ago which went something like this. He applied for a job as a chauffer (it was in London) for the wife of a man who lived in South Africa. She was coming over to UK for 12 months and needed to be transported around.
Son got job and was also sent a cheque to cover various initial outgoings , which amounted to quite a substantial amount and to wait instructions. Then he was told she was not coming and could he return the money. (a very big trust thing going on). As he had put the money in his bank, he could not return the cheque.
Anyway, to cut a long story short, and I can't remember too much of what else happened, he went to the bank and they said it was a way of money laundering. The bank took over, and that was the last he heard.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral