Forums
Posted By: Liverpooltiger Rock Ferry High School - 15th Jan 2015 8:03pm
I don't know if people are aware but Wirral Borough Council are currently in consultation over the future use of the Rock Ferry High School site.
Development considerations include: Demolition of the buildings & the selling off the 3 playing fields.

We believe they're worth saving.

Ravenswood House is a Grade II Listed Building & the woodland area boasts many species of wildlife & trees. It is also used by the local community for play & recreation.

In addition, a Government report only yesterday highlighted that 900,000 more schoolchildren will be in the system over the next decade. They will need a school.

Maybe you live in the area, maybe you're an ex pupil or perhaps you have just enjoyed the space it offers?

If you have, can I direct you to our Facebook page & ask you for your support by signing our petition?

Over 750 people have signed since last night - please can you add your signature...& please share with family & friends.

Save Rock Ferry High School & Woodlands - Facebook Page.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/save-rock-ferry-high-school-and-woodlands

Thank you for your support.
Posted By: snowhite Re: Rock Ferry High School - 15th Jan 2015 8:48pm
Its going to cost the council a fortune to knock the school down.
I heard the plans was to make this school into an engineering college.
Ravenswood House is a Grade II Listed Building will be saved.
Ive signed anyway the more the better.well done facebook for bringing this up.
There using the school to train police dogs at the moment.

Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Rock Ferry High School - 15th Jan 2015 9:06pm
Signed and shared amongst various Community Groups that I am involved in.

Liked and shared F.B page also. Best of luck.

Posted By: ManxCat Re: Rock Ferry High School - 15th Jan 2015 9:23pm
I have just signed to make it 884..

As an ex pupil from 83 - 88 I'm more than happy to lend my support.
Posted By: Liverpooltiger Re: Rock Ferry High School - 15th Jan 2015 9:51pm
Thank you so much for the support. The response has been phenomenal. I only started the petition last night & we're already at 900 signatures, plus there are old fashioned paper sheets being filled too.

Please do continue to share the information with friends, family & colleagues as, who knows, that one extra signature just might make a difference.

There's also some potential local media interest too so, hopefully, the momentum will continue.

Feel free to contact me if you need any information & I'll also update the sites with any news.

Thanks again for the responses & the support.
Posted By: cools Re: Rock Ferry High School - 15th Jan 2015 10:03pm
Developers have been after that playing field for years, the rugby field, easy access to road. I remember signing a petition years ago to stop it. Thay spent thousands do a new laboratory facilities and just about finished , then closed school.i have signed and hope people power win.
Posted By: snowhite Re: Rock Ferry High School - 15th Jan 2015 10:07pm
Originally Posted by cools
Developers have been after that playing field for years, the rugby field, easy access to road. I remember signing a petition years ago to stop it. Thay spent thousands do a new laboratory facilities and just about finished , then closed school.i have signed and hope people power win.
withthat Cools.
Posted By: snowhite Re: Rock Ferry High School - 15th Jan 2015 10:10pm
Originally Posted by Liverpooltiger
Thank you so much for the support. The response has been phenomenal. I only started the petition last night & we're already at 900 signatures, plus there are old fashioned paper sheets being filled too.

Please do continue to share the information with friends, family & colleagues as, who knows, that one extra signature just might make a difference.

There's also some potential local media interest too so, hopefully, the momentum will continue.

Feel free to contact me if you need any information & I'll also update the sites with any news.

Thanks again for the responses & the support.
Will do .A big thanks for letting us know about this.
Posted By: clung22 Re: Rock Ferry High School - 15th Jan 2015 11:47pm
Signed. Let's hope the people win.
Posted By: lansyp Re: Rock Ferry High School - 16th Jan 2015 9:16am
Just a thought ....every thing the council want to knock down and arnt allowed to usually end up burning to the ground unexpectedly .should we get the fire brigade on site now .
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Rock Ferry High School - 16th Jan 2015 10:54am
Shown on Bing Maps as a University Academy. Did it ever become one or did they just close it when it all moved to Park High

Might be worth emailing Old Rocks Rugby (prenton as it now is if you can find an address)

As an Old Instonian will happily sign petition and I hope you do better than we did with our old school playing fields (Ingleborough Rd- Birkenhead Institute)

Posted By: snowhite Re: Rock Ferry High School - 16th Jan 2015 11:37am
Yes it did close when rock ferry pupils moved to Park high.
Rock Ferry high school.was called .A performance of arts academy.
Thanks for signing Fish.
Posted By: Liverpooltiger Re: Rock Ferry High School - 16th Jan 2015 1:29pm
Great news, we're at nearly 1100 signatures now & have positive interest from the Liverpool Echo & the Wirral Globe. Frank Field has also responded & is speaking to the Planning Department.

I've also been putting up posters in the local neighbourhood as the more awareness we can generate, the better.

Please do keep spreading the word & I'm very grateful too for the "heads-up" on useful people / groups to contact.

Finally, in answer to the questions regarding the school's current status: it did indeed become an Academy briefly before the pupils got transferred to Park High. It's now empty apart from being used to train the police dogs.

Thanks again for the support & do check out & "like" the Facebook Page

https://www.facebook.com/SaveRockFerryHighSchoolandenvirons?ref=ts&fref=ts

Posted By: snowhite Re: Rock Ferry High School - 16th Jan 2015 1:32pm
Great news, we're at nearly 1100 signatures now & have positive interest from the Liverpool Echo & the Wirral Globe. Frank Field has also responded & is speaking to the Planning Department.

I've also been putting up posters in the local neighbourhood as the more awareness we can generate, the better.

Please do keep spreading the word & I'm very grateful too for the "heads-up" on useful people / groups to contact.

Finally, in answer to the questions regarding the school's current status: it did indeed become an Academy briefly before the pupils got transferred to Park High. It's now empty apart from being used to train the police dogs.

Thanks again for the support & do check out & "like" the Facebook Page

clap well done x
Posted By: Sandra43 Re: Rock Ferry High School - 18th Jan 2015 7:46pm
Signed and shared. As an old pupil 85-90. let me know if I can do anything else.
Posted By: Liverpooltiger Re: Rock Ferry High School - 19th Jan 2015 8:30am
2 landmark points on the "Save Rock Ferry High School & Woodlands" petition front this morning:

1: We have reached 1400 on-line signatures (+ many more on paper)

2: We are in the Liverpool Echo

Please continue to share the petition link & spread the word - & thanks again for your magnificent support.

https://you.38degrees.org.uk/petitions/save-rock-ferry-high-school-and-woodlands

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/local-news/rock-ferry-high-school-demolition-8468382
Posted By: snowhite Re: Rock Ferry High School - 19th Jan 2015 3:30pm
2 landmark points on the "Save Rock Ferry High School & Woodlands" petition front this morning:

1: We have reached 1400 on-line signatures (+ many more on paper)

2: We are in the Liverpool Echo

Please continue to share the petition link & spread the word - & thanks again for your magnificent support.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/local-news/rock-ferry-high-school-demolition-8468382
That i am doing.well done thanks for the update x
Posted By: Liverpooltiger Re: Rock Ferry High School - 19th Jan 2015 4:24pm
A really positive article in the Wirral Globe now too.

http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/1...to_demolition_of_Rock_Ferry_High_School/

Posted By: Liverpooltiger Re: Rock Ferry High School - 20th Jan 2015 2:42pm
Great news - The campaign continues to grow - We are being interviewed live on Radio Merseyside tomorrow morning at 08:25.

Please tune in & let me know what you think....plus tell your friends to listen in too

Posted By: snowhite Re: Rock Ferry High School - 20th Jan 2015 4:56pm
Brill news, LiverPooltiger.
Your doing a great job.Its about time Rock ferry residents were standing up for there area.
Soon there will nothing left here.
I will be listening to this on the radio tomorrow morning thumbsup

Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Rock Ferry High School - 20th Jan 2015 6:55pm
That is great news. Good timing as well- should be lots of people listening in on their way to work.

I probably won't get to hear it sadly as I will be braving the snow, on foot. Best of luck, anyhow.

Another local radio stations contact details : text 60777 start your message with GFN7J
[email protected]
Posted By: Liverpooltiger Re: Rock Ferry High School - 20th Jan 2015 8:11pm
Some quick but important questions that I'm hoping someone can help with please:

1: Anyone know anything...or even better, have copies.... of the covenants & deeds relating to the land?

2: Is anyone up to helping collect signatures / put up posters? Even if it's only an hour it would be a massive help as I'm advised that 3,000 signatures is a critical point & we're at about 1800 now.

Let me know if you can help.

Thanks in advance.

Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Rock Ferry High School - 20th Jan 2015 8:12pm
Inboxed you.
Posted By: snowhite Re: Rock Ferry High School - 20th Jan 2015 9:29pm
[quote=Liverpooltiger]Some quick but important questions that I'm hoping someone can help with please:

1: Anyone know anything...or even better, have copies.... of the covenants & deeds relating to the land?

2: Is anyone up to helping collect signatures / put up posters? Even if it's only an hour it would be a massive help as I'm advised that 3,000 signatures is a critical point & we're at about 1800 now.

Let me know if you can help.

Thanks in advance.
[Quote]Ive emailed someone who maybe able to help.Just waiting on a reply.
You still got time to get more signatures.
Posted By: Liverpooltiger Re: Rock Ferry High School - 20th Jan 2015 11:34pm
Yes, we're collecting like mad. I reckon with the paper & on-line versions, we're pretty close to 2000 now but I've been told tonight that we need 3000+ to make the council take notice. However, I'm pretty determined when I get going so that just makes me more focused on the target; this is why we're trying to get the extra help in collecting them.

Hopefully the radio coverage tomorrow morning will boost awareness too as lots of people still don't know what the council's considering.

Please do keep spreading the word - every signature counts.

Will wait to hear from you over any extra information / help. Thank you!
Posted By: lansyp Re: Rock Ferry High School - 21st Jan 2015 12:29pm
Have Just signed I live in rock ferry now though I went to bi and that's now a housing estate .my brother in law used to be a teacher there Nick Harrison
Posted By: Liverpooltiger Re: Rock Ferry High School - 22nd Jan 2015 11:57am
*UPDATE*

1700 signatures online now plus plenty more on paper. Thank you for the continuing support

There is also to be a meeting on Tuesday

We have been informed that only residents in Highfield South and Ravenswood who will be affected by the RFHS site, will be invited to Tuesday's meeting.

We, who set up the petition & Facebook group, have had no say in where the meeting takes place or who is invited to the meeting; that has been the sole decision of the Councillors .

Those who have been invited will have received letters today, and it might be a good idea to take the letter along with you on Tuesday to prove that you are a resident in the areas mentioned.

We know many of you outside of the invitees will be disappointed, but we shall put up a further post outlining details of the outcome of the meeting.

Also check out our Facebook Page for any other updates & news

Posted By: snowhite Re: Rock Ferry High School - 22nd Jan 2015 12:08pm
PMD you Liverpooltiger.
I get back to you later thumbsup
Posted By: snowhite Re: Rock Ferry High School - 22nd Jan 2015 12:10pm
Originally Posted by lansyp
Have Just signed I live in rock ferry now though I went to bi and that's now a housing estate .my brother in law used to be a teacher there Nick Harrison
Spread the lansyp,workmates,family etc.Every signature counts.
Posted By: Liverpooltiger Re: Rock Ferry High School - 22nd Jan 2015 11:36pm
For information:

To those residents who have NOT received a letter from the council inviting them to a meeting on Tuesday : We, who set up the Facebook page & petition, have had no say in where the meeting takes place or who is invited. That has been the sole decision of the councillors.
We will obviously share discussions & outcomes with you & are happy to raise points & concerns on your behalf.
Thank for the continued support. Numbers still growing.

Posted By: Liverpooltiger Re: Rock Ferry High School - 23rd Jan 2015 8:35am
Deadline day today for affected residents to share their views with the council.

Just say why you feel like you do - positively or negatively.

You may have signed the petition but this is the way the council canvassed your opinion so please complete it.

It doesn't need an essay, just a few words saying why it's important to you (& your family)

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/?sm=FONxtHIZY75LcGzNTT0WJheEEqC6CyNGjVGumvRN5yw%3d

It only takes a few seconds - do it!
Posted By: snowhite Re: Rock Ferry High School - 23rd Jan 2015 11:23am
Deadline day today for affected residents to share their views with the council.

Just say why you feel like you do - positively or negatively.

You may have signed the petition but this is the way the council canvassed your opinion so please complete it.

It doesn't need an essay, just a few words saying why it's important to you (& your family)

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/?sm=FONxtHIZY75LcGzNTT0WJheEEqC6CyNGjVGumvRN5yw%3d

It only takes a few seconds - do it!
Am amzed how many have got involved in this.well happy on the results.and thankyou for your hard work and effort Liverpooltiger.
sent you more info in a pm .
Posted By: Liverpooltiger Re: Rock Ferry High School - 26th Jan 2015 5:58pm
Nice follow up piece from the Wirral Globe today, complete with details about the discussion meeting being held with concerned residents at Highfield Church at 6pm tomorrow night:

http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/1...m_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

2250 signatures now - thank you for your continued support.
Posted By: snowhite Re: Rock Ferry High School - 26th Jan 2015 7:25pm
thumbsupGreat work.
I will keep you updated on any other progress.
Posted By: Liverpooltiger Re: Rock Ferry High School - 30th Jan 2015 6:22am
Over 100 concerned citizens at the meeting on Tuesday night - we filled the main church smile

Lots of passion on show & people making it very clear about how we feel about our site & what we don't want!!

Next meeting will be on 13th February at 6:30 - council to advise venue.

All updates are on our Facbook page:

I'll also share the info on here.

As ever, thanks for the support
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Rock Ferry High School - 30th Jan 2015 9:52pm
Excellent work, well done to you all. I have been following proceedings on Facebook.
Posted By: Liverpooltiger Re: Rock Ferry High School - 4th Feb 2015 7:12am
Confirmed venue for follow up meeting with councillors & Frank Field, MP.

It's at 6:30pm on Friday, 13th February.

It's at the same venue as last time:

Highfield United Reformed Church

This is the big church at the cross roads of Rock Lane West with Highfield South & Highfield Road in Rock Ferry.

Hope to see you there & please tell your family, friends, neighbours & colleagues as we really do need a meeting full of people if we are to have any chance of saving the site for the community.

As ever, thank you for your support & keep sharing our petition too.

All updates are on the Facebook Page:

Posted By: Liverpooltiger Re: Rock Ferry High School - 13th Feb 2015 5:01pm
Nearly time for the meeting to discuss the site's future. Tonight at 6:30 Highfield Church, Rock Ferry. Please spare an hour of your time & join us in conversation with the Council & Frank Field, MP.

We really hope they won't develop the site with housing but it's definitely the plan unless we stand up to the council & tell them that it's not what we want!

Please come along to the meeting if you can & make your views count.

If we don't act now the council will say there isn't any opposition & go ahead - & all that history & green space will be gone forever. 😕

Thank you for the support.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Rock Ferry High School - 14th Feb 2015 4:41pm
How did the meeting go?
Posted By: Liverpooltiger Re: Rock Ferry High School - 14th Feb 2015 9:23pm
On the whole, I think the meeting went well. Frank Field handled the meeting much better than Cllr McLoughlin did last time - as you'd expect - so much less confrontational this time. Audience spoke up & spoke well & got him to agree to chair another meeting on 13th. Same time & place.

The community were unmovable on the issue of keeping the listed building, the playing fields & woodlands plus the boundary walls etc but the council got some movement with people saying they would possibly accept the development of the school site but ONLY if the buildings were acceptable to the community eg: Limited number of Bungalows on footprint of school site. There were also discussions around the proposed youth centre in Birkenhead being considered for this site instead.

Personally I think it was too much to say any of the stuff around housing at this stage because I still think we should look to use the site for the community - plus, once you accept housing development as THE option, they can then build what they like & then say they couldn't attract the type of development they originally wanted! (A developer can challenge the type of housing but not opposition to no housing.)

They are also looking to open an entrance road to a proposed development into Highfield South so that will bring additional traffic problems.

Still, we've now got an executive committee with residents & councillors on it so that should help keep us in the loop going forwards.

I'll keep you all posted & hope to see you on the 13th March at Highfield Church at 6:30
Posted By: Liverpooltiger Re: Rock Ferry High School - 12th Mar 2015 9:06pm
Just a reminder that the latest Public Meeting on the future of the site is tomorrow evening, Friday, 13th March, at 6:30pm at Highfield Church (The big church on the crossroads of Highfield South & Rock Lane West.

Frank Field, MP, & the Rock Ferry councillors will be present to hear our views.

If this green space & its heritage is important to you, please come along & get your view across whilst you still have the chance!

Thank you for your support.
Posted By: cools Re: Rock Ferry High School - 13th Mar 2015 10:08pm
I attended this meeting tonight and I was shocked and disgusted at the behaviour of certain members of The Green Party(allegedly). In my opinion they hijacked this meeting to attack and barrack Frank Field. One woman ran screaming and shouting like she was demented to the point of being threatened she would be removed by the police.most of us residents just wanted to get on with the meeting but with these people couldn't. I think the majority of residents felt like me, appalled and saddened.I would just like to wish Frank Field well as he became unwell .
Posted By: Liverpooltiger Re: Rock Ferry High School - 14th Mar 2015 10:31am
I too would like to wish Mr Field well. A very unfortunate end to the meeting

We will need to gather our thoughts & obviously re- convene as the meeting did not achieve any outcomes last night for understandable reasons.

I will say for the record & clarity though (....& I have no political allegiance) that the speakers you refer to do not represent the Green Party & are not members of that party although Mr Field did make that reference. I think it's important to be fair in that respect.

I haven't made any comment on site as I haven't seen any news on Mr Field's condition & I wouldn't wish to be inappropriate in the circumstances. However, I do have concerns that I will raise in due course in respect of the representation on the residents's committee & Mr Field's comments on his "do not reply" email - I am happy to state for the record that I have never been anything other than professional in my correspondence & I am happy to publish them if there is any doubt.

As I say, a strange meeting in many respects & unfortunate as ultimately, all we're seeking is a consensus approach to finding a solution for our site.

Thank you for attending & the comments. I appreciate you taking the time to do both.

Alison
Posted By: cools Re: Rock Ferry High School - 14th Mar 2015 12:42pm
Thank you Liverpool Tiger for your reply. If that group did not represent The Green Party then who ? I had an elderly lady sitting behind me that every time Frank Field spoke she bad mouthed him and she certainly appeared to be with this group, even when at the end I told her no- body was interested in Green Party issues just the subject we wanted to discuss and after further comments about Frank she got very angry telling me to shut up which I told her the same. Very unpleasant!.....Not getting at you LT but really would like to know who this group were ??? Thanks.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Rock Ferry High School - 14th Mar 2015 2:29pm
http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/1...collapsing_at_public_meeting/?ref=twtrec
Posted By: cools Re: Rock Ferry High School - 14th Mar 2015 2:31pm
Thanks Rude for putting that up, was wondering how he was.
Posted By: Liverpooltiger Re: Rock Ferry High School - 14th Mar 2015 5:32pm
Cools,

As far as I know, there were no groups represented last night, just residents

It is perhaps the case that certain individuals had issues with the politicians last night & used the forum accordingly but they are not doing it as representatives of the Save Rock Ferry group.

It is also wrong, as I said on my previous post, that they represented the Green Party in any way. I have met the prospective Green Party councillor through this campaign & he has been nothing but supportive to us. However, he is not representative of us & came in an individual capacity last night. I am also certain he is not one of the individuals that you refer to. He is the gentleman who asked if we could write directly to the Secretary of State with our concerns / thoughts. Please be assured too that he did not bring any group agitators with him to the meeting.

I can also assure you that I personally have no political affiliation & indeed would welcome support from any influential source if it helps achieve a positive outcome for the site.

As I said, a strange & unfortunate meeting in many ways but I think it's important that the facts as I know them are presented correctly as we can only achieve a positive solution by working from a position of openness & trust.

I will end by once again wishing Mr Field well & a speedy recovery.

Alison

Posted By: cools Re: Rock Ferry High School - 14th Mar 2015 5:38pm
Ok thanks LT. Hope the next meeting will be better and more constructive. I realise that you must be disappointed and upset the way it turned out. Keep up the good work.
Posted By: Liverpooltiger Re: Rock Ferry High School - 14th Mar 2015 6:03pm
Thanks Cools - Appreciated.

We had action plans in place for the coming week including further press coverage but I will not be making any further comments in the circumstances until the situation becomes clearer.

My concern is with Mr Field right now & I trust & hope that he will soon be back in robust health.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Rock Ferry High School - 14th Mar 2015 7:40pm
I'm sure Frank wouldn't want his situation to slow things down.

And I wouldn't let the other idiots change your plans one iota.

Were they a developer's rent-a-crowd? There are a lot of developers and building companies working around the area at the moment, their employee's interests wouldn't necessarily tie in with yours.
Posted By: tizerman Re: Rock Ferry High School - 18th Mar 2015 10:27am
A local resident here , present at all three meetings.
At the last meeting we had a screeching lady take to the stage , ranting on about something ,which for the life of me ,I cannot remember what.We also had a nice gentleman ranting on about history lessons (was he an ex RFHS pupil?).
It was about then that the local police had to take to the stage to give a verbal warning.The nice gentleman also came out with some very sordid comments as people were leaving the church.
Local residents? Good debate ? I will let you make your mind up on that.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Rock Ferry High School - 23rd Mar 2015 3:17am
I notice Colin Dow is saying that the police prevented anybody else talking apart from Frank Field and his buddies.

Colin is also saying that Frank was criticising the people who got Ravenswood listed. I think Colin attributed the words "small minded" to Frank's description of the listing people.

The other comments were along the lines that people had been let down on agreements that had been made at the previous meeting with regard to access to the site and other matters.

(source was two direct posts by Colin Dow, not via media interpretation).

I have also been told that Colin is saying that there were no people shouting down the meeting.

Please note: These are NOT my opinions, don't shoot the messenger.
Posted By: GeeMeister Re: Rock Ferry High School - 23rd Mar 2015 4:21am
Thanks for that DD, it's intriguing to see conflicting viewpoints over how the meeting went. We have those that say noisy confrontation took place and now one saying it didn't. If those participating can't agree how it went then how on earth can they expect to agree on anything of substance?
Posted By: cools Re: Rock Ferry High School - 23rd Mar 2015 9:39am
Who is Colin Dow? Did he really attend this last meeting because I did!! It was as I said a group of people determined to scream and shout about their gripes with Frank Field about something said on an e-mail, I think! It was hard to understand them as they shouted and ranted do much! The police stepped in to try and restore some order as one demented woman had taken over the Mike and screaming into that about God knows!! I,m not really into politics but I was interested to see if anything had been decided about RFH and as far as I was concerned these people scuppered the meeting and as I say in my opinion just wanted to verbally attack Frank Field who as everybody now knows collapsed. I,m glad to hear Mr Field is making a recovery.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Rock Ferry High School - 23rd Mar 2015 3:25pm
(Andrew) Colin Dow was a labour councillor that got kicked out the Labour Party around 2001 for bullying other members. Colin defected to the Green Party.

Since then he has stood locally under the party "WIN Genuine Candidate", WIN standing for Wirral Independent Network, it may have affiliation to the national "Community Action Party".

He is a Green activist, whether he is a member of the Green Party at the moment I have no idea, in February he pledged to vote for the Green Party.

While he can talk sense, imho he has too many chips on his shoulders.

Colin purportedly took out his camera to photograph Frank Field when he collapsed but was asked not to.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Rock Ferry High School - 23rd Mar 2015 3:38pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper

Colin purportedly took out his camera to photograph Frank Field when he collapsed but was asked not to.
Enough said. thumbsdown
Posted By: cools Re: Rock Ferry High School - 23rd Mar 2015 3:42pm
Thanks DD . Did look him up and was not surprised to see he was connected to Green Party. That explains all! How disgusting of him if that happened with camera, although it doesn,t surprise me after witnessing the chaos and barracking that went on by this group of people who we don,t know who they represented.
Posted By: SUExx Re: Rock Ferry High School - 23rd Mar 2015 6:28pm
My sister went,she told me what had happened.

There WAS shouting and confrontation at frank field.
Posted By: Liverpooltiger Re: Rock Ferry High School - 23rd Mar 2015 11:37pm
Ok, Alison here who started the petition & also spoke at the last meeting. I hope in a controlled fashion.....

First let me say how disappointed I am that the actions of a very small number of people has allowed others to take away the focus of the campaign which was...& remains..to look for a positive solution for the site.

I think we are all consistent in saying that only 2 people shouted in this way at the meeting. Both were residents who feel passionately about the site & the lack of engagement but, unfortunately their point was lost in their delivery & ended up being counter-productive. Both of these were residents & not Green Party Activists (& yes, I do know this for a fact)

I think it's really important that the truth is told on this - I am not part of a group of activists & nor were they. Nor were the Police called: they were present at every meeting from the start.

It does now indeed appear that Mr Colin Dow has Green Party connections but, for the record, he did not shout at or abuse Mr Field during the meeting. (The meeting was video taped & confirms this fact) However, it appears (by reports yesterday) that he says he did take out his camera at the end to photograph Mr Field. This is not acceptable behaviour in my view.

Nonetheless he was there in an individual capacity & not as part of this campaign yet it appears that we are all now being targeted as 'Agitators' & 'Infiltrators' from either the Green Party, Militant or as a Trotskyist. Nothing could be further from the truth. Again for the record, I actually voted for Mr Field & Councillor Meaden at the last election.

I think it's important that the facts aren't distorted to suit a political agenda. I am just an ordinary resident who wanted (& still wants) to engage in a true consultation process to find a solution for our site. I resent being used in a political dogfight to point score & I especially resent my sincere efforts being misrepresented. This has been done to such an extent that we now have no "next stage" in place & this scares me as who knows what may be enacted without consultation? I fully intend to pursue my place on the Residents' Committee but this may now be denied me as the propaganda places me as trouble.

Please, as local residents, don't be distracted. Our concern should still be the future of the site & ensuring that we are fully involved in the consultation process - something that has so far, at best, been obstructed & at worst, denied.
Posted By: GeeMeister Re: Rock Ferry High School - 23rd Mar 2015 11:49pm
Thanks for the clarity and what appears to be a concise assessment. It is too easy to pass judgement on peoples antecedence rather than current form or activity.
Posted By: tizerman Re: Rock Ferry High School - 24th Mar 2015 10:57am
I think we are all consistent in saying that only 2 people shouted in this way at the meeting. Both were residents who feel passionately about the site & the lack of engagement but, unfortunately their point was lost in their delivery & ended up being counter-productive. Both of these were residents & not Green Party Activists (& yes, I do know this for a fact)

I think it's really important that the truth is told on this - I am not part of a group of activists & nor were they. Nor were the Police called: they were present at every meeting from the start.
unquote

If those two individuals are local residents then lord help us,you forgot to mention the sordid comments on leaving the church.
Yes the police are present at the meetings ,which also tells us a lot,but you forgot to mention the fact that they had to take to the stage to issue a threat of eviction.
Can you please tell me how many people that signed your petition actually live on roads that border on the RFHS site.Because these are the people that will have to bear the consequences as to what happens to this site,and that includes me.
At the second meeting, as I recall, we agreed to keep the woods and the two fields on that side of the cinderpath, as they are,ie green.
The big question is, what do we do with the rest of the site.You may or may not know,that the first day after the school closed its doors for the last time,and the council in all its wisdom did not have security in place,a couple of fire engines had to attend the site.So unfortunately we have to take into account, the brain dead of the area.So could you please go into more detail as to what you would actually like to see happen on the walled site,saving it for the local community,sounds good, but to me as a local resident it is just not specific enough.At the moment the walled site stands as just a monument to a failed school.
Posted By: Liverpooltiger Re: Rock Ferry High School - 24th Mar 2015 9:04pm
Tizerman,

First up, I'm not condoning any person behaving badly - I said in my previous post that it was unacceptable - What I am saying is that I / we are not part of an organised group of agitators & infiltrators as has been portrayed. The individual you refer to was just that, an individual. Nothing to do with me or anyone else involved with the petition. Yet we are all being grouped together as one, with reports implying that our only motive in this campaign is political mischief. Rubbish.

I think you might also agree that the questioning at the meeting was composed other than the incidents you refer to - certainly the video confirms that to be the case - despite many feeling extremely frustrated.

Secondly, you ask how many petition signatures are from local residents? The answer is the overwhelming majority. You're welcome to see the forms if you doubt it. Also check out the comments on-line. They're mainly Highfield South, Thorpe Bank, Hurst Bank, Bankside, Old Chester Rd, Rock Lane West & Ravenswood Avenue plus plenty from the "Poets Avenues" (Browning, Spenser etc) & Highfield Road who regularly use the fields. Others who have signed are people who have family members who live around the site, Football players who use it for games & others are ex pupils so they too have a keen interest in its future.

My family has lived in Rock Ferry since 1939 & my house actually backs on to the field - as do other family members' properties - so I can assure you I share all your concerns about getting this decision right. (Our experience includes having a garden fence stolen & made into a bonfire by drunken youths so I am well aware of issues with the site in the past)

That's my whole point. You ask what we would do? Well for starters, we'd like to discuss some options. That's all we've asked from the start but have constantly been blocked in any efforts to engage in discussions.

We actually do have some options & we would equally be happy to discuss the Councillors' plans too. This is what we thought was the point of the proposed Residents' Executive suggested by Mr Field at the 13th February meeting.

However, despite being told at this (13th February) meeting that we would all meet before the next March meeting & then report back to everyone, nothing at all happened. We kept asking to meet but residents were first told that they could only join if they'd actually spoken at the meeting on the 13th Feb, then several others were refused access to the committee at all, despite overlooking the site & being Campaign Founders. Finally the first Executive meeting was called at short notice for 3pm on the day of the last meeting (13/03) when most people were at work or picking kids up. Therefore only 4 people could attend. Hardly representative of the community. Those who did attend were also told that was it - there would be no more public meetings after that.

My final point would be that once the land has a change of status agreed & it is declared fit for development, what then happens, once it's sold, is down to the developer - not the Council, not us. The Councillors can promise anything but if the planned development won't sell, the developer will build what will sell...&, yes, they may save the fields this time but what happens next year when they want a bit more money? That is why it is so important that we sit down together & get this right. Maybe agree a Legal Covenant to protect the land? If you still have any doubts about the potential risks in not reaching a satisfactory legal outcome; look at the situation with the Dell School where the residents were promised "Riverside Luxury Apartments" yet a decade on are looking at a derelict litter filled site.

Seriously, we're on the same side. We too just want to try & preserve the site to best suit our community & we also very much understand that means something needs to happen with the school buildings. That's why I started the petition in January so we residents could be consulted about its future - & I was pleasantly surprised that so many others felt the same. That's where the petition numbers came from & I must also add that when we surveyed residents from all adjoining roads again in the second week in March, not a single person had changed their mind.

Posted By: tizerman Re: Rock Ferry High School - 25th Mar 2015 10:58am
Liverpooltiger
Do not forget that the local community have already had a vote of sorts on RFHS , they voted with their feet and sent their children to any other school but RFHS.
The Dell site was foremost in my mind at the last meeting,but unfortunately, due to the shambles at the start of the meeting and then Frank Fields illness, I could not get the question asked.
I am well aware that the only reason local residents are being asked about the site, are due to the new Government rules that came in,in about November 2014.After attending all 3 meetings,all I can say at the moment, is,that process is in a bit of a mess,to put it mildly.Is that the impression that will be conveyed to the Secretary of State , I wonder.That should concentrate all minds,councillors and local residents.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Rock Ferry High School - 25th Mar 2015 1:06pm
Update:Investigation

http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/1...nhead_MP_Frank_Field_rushed_to_hospital/
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Rock Ferry High School - 5th Oct 2016 8:49pm
The entrance to Rock Ferry High School on Highfield Road South is being widened, presumably to allow the demolition vehicles to enter.

Attached picture P1250139-s.jpg
Attached picture P1250140-s.jpg
Attached picture P1250141-s.jpg
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Rock Ferry High School - 13th Oct 2016 8:59pm
Gutted... o well if its going might as well add my u.e pics smile

Attached picture 13912496_1045026525617808_7194213841714376905_n.jpg
© Wirral-Wikiwirral