Forums
Posted By: Moonstar Water - 2nd Dec 2012 9:35am
I found myself questioning where my water comes from. I had always thought it came from Lake Vrnwy but now discover from the United Utilities website that it comes from the River Dee. Just another odd observation. :-)
Posted By: Angharad111 Re: Water - 2nd Dec 2012 9:40am
It still does come from the lake, I think that you will find that the Dee flows from the lake. Anybody know for sure?
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Water - 2nd Dec 2012 9:55am
I always thought it was actually Llyn Celyn just north of Bala which does flow down into the Dee at Bala. UU will also have in place ways to supplement that. Ask a welshman which reservoir he wees in and youll find out. Lot of love lost between Birkenhead Water Company and the welsh over the drowning of villages. do a youtube search on Capel Celyn-sad and fasvinating insight
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpUF69rHAow
Posted By: Tatey Re: Water - 2nd Dec 2012 9:56am
If you take one of the boat trips on the Dee, you can watch the cows performing their ablutions in the river close to where the water is extracted. :-)
Posted By: granny Re: Water - 2nd Dec 2012 11:30am
It's a disgrace Tatey, all down to education....or lack of it!

I always understood Liverpool water came from Lake Vrnwy, so presumably, this area also. Following link gives an account.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/liverpool/localhistory/journey/underground/reservoir/history.shtml
Posted By: geoffharry Re: Water - 2nd Dec 2012 11:41am
it doesn't really matter where it comes from , UU get it for free (rain) then charge extortionate prices to get it to your home and then charge again for taking it back , all this without keeping up any general maintenance just repairs when an emergency arises
Posted By: Zubee Re: Water - 2nd Dec 2012 11:51am
Originally Posted by geoffharry
it doesn't really matter where it comes from , UU get it for free (rain) then charge extortionate prices to get it to your home and then charge again for taking it back , all this without keeping up any general maintenance just repairs when an emergency arises

That's one of the silliest posts I've seen on here! If it's so easy and free why don't you have your water supply cut off and just use the 'free rain'. I'm not sure what you'd do with your toilet waste etc, but you wouldn't have to pay a water bill. Sorted.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Water - 2nd Dec 2012 12:03pm
Vrnwy was the first damed valley in a series and was specifically designed to provide Liverpool with more water, not Cheshire (as it was then). Birmingham had the same problem and a similar solution.

Delving into the UU website is very interesting with their future plans laid out for all to see.

It was very short-sighted of our Government to sell off our water assets which now seem to be in foreign hands.
Posted By: venice Re: Water - 2nd Dec 2012 5:04pm

I
Originally Posted by Zubee
Originally Posted by geoffharry

That's one of the silliest posts I've seen on here! If it's so easy and free why don't you have your water supply cut off and just use the 'free rain'. I'm not sure what you'd do with your toilet waste etc, but you wouldn't have to pay a water bill. Sorted.

Bit harsh that on someone who is only on their second post! I think most water companies are guilty of charging the max they can get away with to bulk out their profits, with only scant attention paid to really maintaining a system properly --which Im sure was the essence of what the poster was saying --obviously he didnt mean the company should provide us with water for nothing.
Posted By: Zubee Re: Water - 2nd Dec 2012 7:09pm
Apologies to geoffharry, I didn't realise it was only your second post smile
Posted By: geoffharry Re: Water - 3rd Dec 2012 12:14pm
you may not think it is quite as silly if it was your road / garden / driveway or house that was flooded nearly every time it rained only to be told by UU that the work that needs to be done to improve the drainage will be CONSIDERED in the next round of budget allocations in 2015 !!
Posted By: Zubee Re: Water - 3rd Dec 2012 12:28pm
Fair enough but you didn't say any of the in your original post, you just said rain was free.
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Water - 4th Dec 2012 6:09pm
I see you are in Moreton Geoffharry which once upon a time must have been mostly marsh land. Now it is called flood plain and some houses have been built on the edges of it. Nuts.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral