Forums
Posted By: Elizabeth Dodgy woman at the front door - 2nd Aug 2012 12:35am
Just chatting with my daughter who said that today she had a woman come to the door saying she was doing a survey about loft insulation.
To cut a long story short, the woman asked if there was any insulation in the loft and then said she needed to come into the house and take photographs of the loft access! My daughter obviously said no and didn't let her in, and then closed the door on her.
The person to look out for is a black female, around the age of 23-25 and has a strong Nigerian accent. She had some kind of badge attached to her jacket but not a recognisable one, definitely not from the council anyway.

It could of course be innocent and above board, but still I think it's fishy that she would ask to take photos inside the house.
The area where my daughter lives is Bromborough, near the Merebrook Pub.
Posted By: rocks Re: Dodgy woman at the front door - 2nd Aug 2012 6:52am
well even if this woman is legitimate your post has reminded people to check badges (i always intend to but never do)and to be weary who you let into your home
Posted By: Tatey Re: Dodgy woman at the front door - 2nd Aug 2012 6:52am
Elizabeth,

Have your daughter report this to the local police. Waste of time I know, but at least it is then on record.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Dodgy woman at the front door - 2nd Aug 2012 7:52am
Oh everyone pick on the black bird eh?

Tut tut.

no
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Dodgy woman at the front door - 2nd Aug 2012 7:58am
Originally Posted by _Ste_

Tut tut.

no

I don't let blackbirds in the house Ste... The cat would eat them...

But on a serious note... An ID (like door to door people have) isn't hard to make these days so everyone be vigilant thumbsup
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Dodgy woman at the front door - 2nd Aug 2012 8:13am
I had a lad doing exactly the same thing last week in New Brighton. The minute he said he needed to go up and look in the loft was when I sent him on his way. So well done that daughter.
Posted By: JGL4693 Re: Dodgy woman at the front door - 2nd Aug 2012 8:35am
Its nothing to worry about - Its basically door to door sales providing loft insulation and cavity walls. It is annoying though!
Posted By: queenie Re: Dodgy woman at the front door - 2nd Aug 2012 8:35am
Why are they looking in the loft?
Posted By: pesto Re: Dodgy woman at the front door - 2nd Aug 2012 9:24am
It's normal for them to take a pic of the loft hatch. Be a waste of time if you agreed, then the guys come out and can't get there gear in coz you have a hatch the size of a spyhole.
Posted By: ASE71 Re: Dodgy woman at the front door - 2nd Aug 2012 10:18am

Tut tut.

no

raftl
Posted By: Dolphin123 Re: Dodgy woman at the front door - 2nd Aug 2012 10:43am
I have a daughter who lives in the Bromborough area and has just her loft insulated whether this is the same company I dont know.
Posted By: Dell1234 Re: Dodgy woman at the front door - 2nd Aug 2012 12:08pm
You should contact trading standards to advise them of this.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Dodgy woman at the front door - 2nd Aug 2012 4:37pm

Tut tut.

no

Do you think it might have been the Nigerian accent, never mind what colour she was?
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Dodgy woman at the front door - 2nd Aug 2012 9:39pm
There is loft and cavity insulation being offered in Wirral at present, but the canvassers for the Wirral Council 'Warmer Wirral' scheme, which is the only one I can speak for, would not ask to look at the loft hatch on a first visit; if you're interested you give them your information, then the people at the office get back to you and book you in for a survey visit; the surveyor does the checking. The freephone number for 'Warmer Wirral' is 0800 043 0151 (company is Energy Projects Plus, in Wallasey) and all the canvassers carry ID. Never let any cold caller over the doorstep, on principle.
Posted By: reddragon Re: Dodgy woman at the front door - 2nd Aug 2012 10:54pm
a friend of ours had a bloke call yesterday same routine as previously posted above and she was wary and denied access to which the guy said bout calling back today at 2pm needless to say he didnt show up, location check is brookhurst avenue area many thx to Elizabeth for starting this post
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Dodgy woman at the front door - 2nd Aug 2012 10:57pm
I had a couple of nice Asian gentlemen knock at my door a couple of weeks ago telling me they wanted to offer cavity wall and loft insulation. They said everyone in the road had already had it done. I pointed out that everyone in the road (practically) was over 65 and that I was not. But he insisted there was money off. I need to learn to be really abrupt and say no. They went eventually, after my 70 year-old dad had talked their legs off about the correct thickness of loft insulation and asked if they used polystyrene balls in the walls which were likely to settle and not provide sufficient insulation (yes he really did say that).
I digress...
Posted By: chris123 Re: Dodgy woman at the front door - 2nd Aug 2012 10:59pm
think this is probably genuine- theyve been coming round in Wallasey for weeks, I put them off the first couple of times thinking this looked extremely dodgy but then we had a letter from British Gas explaining about the scheme. When they called again, I let them in and they said my loft insulation was in need of some more! Just got to find the time to clear the bloody thing now so they can put the new insulation in! All free though so not a bad thing, must have just made there way to the Brombrough area but defo sounds genuine
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Dodgy woman at the front door - 2nd Aug 2012 11:06pm
They had ID. The first - who was supposed to be training the second - did ask to see the loft. I said no way. My dad, on his way out, cracked a joke about cavities and dentists. The salesman said his wife was a dentist if my dad needed work lol I was sorely tempted to ask, 'If your wife is a dentist, why the f**k are you at my door?' Is dentistry so poorly paid these days or did she leave you??? I have a theory that it is one of these jobs that people get herded into at the job centre, to get them off the unemployment figures. Nevermnd if they are completely useless, a bit arrogant, have trouble grasping the English language...
The one being trained had the good sense to provide a number I could call if I was actually interested, so they could leave us alone.
Posted By: reddragon Re: Dodgy woman at the front door - 2nd Aug 2012 11:12pm
when this guy went to our friends he stated that her house needed cavity wall insulation as there was none to which it was pointed out that there was
make s you wonder who actually trains these people?
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Dodgy woman at the front door - 2nd Aug 2012 11:13pm
Greenwood, it definitely was not the council scheme as she's had them call round to the house in the past. It was a case of the woman asking if she is the homeowner, (she's not) and then saying she MUST come in and photograph the house from the inside where the loft hatch is and if we had no ladder for her then she could stand on a chair to see inside it!
If it is a legit business, then once you realise you're not talking to the home-owner, there's no way you're going to get a sale out of them anyway
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Dodgy woman at the front door - 2nd Aug 2012 11:15pm
Originally Posted by reddragon
a friend of ours had a bloke call yesterday same routine as previously posted above and she was wary and denied access to which the guy said bout calling back today at 2pm needless to say he didnt show up, location check is brookhurst avenue area many thx to Elizabeth for starting this post

Location was off Plymyard Ave here, very close
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Dodgy woman at the front door - 2nd Aug 2012 11:18pm
Originally Posted by reddragon
when this guy went to our friends he stated that her house needed cavity wall insulation as there was none to which it was pointed out that there was
make s you wonder who actually trains these people?

exactly, there is more than adequate loft and cavity wall insulation in the house.

You really have to be very abrupt to the point of rude with door to door salesmen/women..they are so thick skinned it's unbelievable
Posted By: Mark Re: Dodgy woman at the front door - 3rd Aug 2012 6:02am
I went through a 3 week period of these sales knocking at the door. One company was baised in leeds.

Funny enough none would commit to cavity wall installation because they were unsure.

However,
British gas phoned the missus (were not a customer of theres. ) and they done the loft and it was all very professional and the confidence of seeing a trusted company doing the work.

And it was completely free.

It must be some government scheme.
However the other sales offers were rejected, and I'm glad I did smile
Posted By: MikeT Re: Dodgy woman at the front door - 3rd Aug 2012 6:05am
Originally Posted by Elizabeth
You really have to be very abrupt to the point of rude with door to door salesmen/women..they are so thick skinned it's unbelievable

I had one come to my door to asking if I wanted to buy double glazing. This was while the double glazing guys were actually there smashing out the old windows, all the new UPVC ones stacked up on the pavement outside ready to go in.

You have to wonder what he was smoking.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral