Forums
Posted By: Alonso Why no fuel filling station at Morrison's NB? - 19th Mar 2012 7:16pm
Strikes me that there is ample room at the newly opened Morrison's supermarket in New Brighton for a fuel filling station. There's nowhere local to the front to fill up. I just wonder if application was made but was refused.
That close to the sea, it probably didn't pass a risk assessment.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Why no fuel filling station at Morrison's NB? - 19th Mar 2012 7:34pm
Thats so the Mersey does have an oil spill after the next flood !!!
the reason I think was due to the tanks and the pipework involved in a filling station is because of corrosion with salt in the seas water and because of the depths the tanks have to go also the eviromental impact if a leak was to occur
Its down to the look of newbo, nobody wants to see a filling station over a sea view, but a whopping great big shopping complex is welcome!
Posted By: Alonso Re: Why no fuel filling station at Morrison's NB? - 19th Mar 2012 8:06pm
Originally Posted by jimbob1966
the reason I think was due to the tanks and the pipework involved in a filling station is because of corrosion with salt in the seas water and because of the depths the tanks have to go also the eviromental impact if a leak was to occur

Perhaps you are right. But they are close to the sea at Caernarfon and they have have a Morrison's with a filling station there. Bit far to go to fill up though. lol!
Posted By: nidgynoo Re: Why no fuel filling station at Morrison's NB? - 19th Mar 2012 11:50pm
What I thought was funny was I was given a fuel voucher at the New Brighton store...nearest Morrisons petrol..Liverpool/Chester!!!
Posted By: turnip Re: Why no fuel filling station at Morrison's NB? - 20th Mar 2012 10:00am
The reason is simply planning permission. They couldn't get it for a few reasons, including it's location. If you look at the store they also couldn't get planning permission for double doors like the one in our store so that's why there is a single door at each end.
Perhaps this is one of the reasons:

Attached picture New Brighton Storm.jpg
Originally Posted by nidgynoo
What I thought was funny was I was given a fuel voucher at the New Brighton store...nearest Morrisons petrol..Liverpool/Chester!!!

Ellesmere Port
Posted By: davew3 Re: Why no fuel filling station at Morrison's NB? - 20th Mar 2012 8:57pm
Wonder if Phase 3 will ever be done?.
Originally Posted by davew3
Wonder if Phase 3 will ever be done?.

No mention of a phase 3 on the council website: http://www.wirral.gov.uk/my-services/business/investment-strategy/investing-places/new-brighton

And the top result on Google points at a wiki thread: https://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/675143/New_Brighton_Phase_3.html
Wasn't there some sort of suggestion that the pier would be rebuilt?
Originally Posted by Moonstar
Wasn't there some sort of suggestion that the pier would be rebuilt?
There was a design competition in 2008 and Peel Energy appeared to be in discussion in the Council and Neptune in 2010 with regards to a new pier, but nothing more recent is coming up on a search of WirralNews.co.uk (even after filtering out returns for "Pier Head").

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see one built. Would be interesting to see what a 21st Century pier might look like...
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Why no fuel filling station at Morrison's NB? - 29th Mar 2012 9:35am
Originally Posted by little_pob
Don't get me wrong, I'd like to see one built. Would be interesting to see what a 21st Century pier might look like...

[Linked Image]

http://www.dezeen.com/2007/10/10/atomikarchitecture-wins-21st-century-pier-competition/
© Wirral-Wikiwirral