Forums
Posted By: Chris990 Mostyn House School - Parkgate - 5th Feb 2012 9:30pm
Does anybody know the history of the School?

Curiosity has me after I was walking past there tonight.

Is it still open and operating as a school?
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Mostyn House School - Parkgate - 5th Feb 2012 9:43pm
I believe it went bust 2 or 3 years ago but was in use up til then and quite reputable from what I remember
Posted By: manic28_am Re: Mostyn House School - Parkgate - 5th Feb 2012 10:13pm
Closed in July 2010
Posted By: cmw2a Re: Mostyn House School - Parkgate - 5th Feb 2012 10:24pm
Try this.
http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk...ted-as-a-busy-port-hotel-92534-24661710/

I was under the impression that Handel stayed at the hotel while on his way to Ireland and waiting for his boat to take him there from Parkgate. He is supposed to have finished writing 'Messiah' while staying there, and to have tried it out at Chester Cathedral. It might be truth or fantasy, don't know - but it's a nice story!
Posted By: granny Re: Mostyn House School - Parkgate - 6th Feb 2012 12:27am
Originally Posted by cmw2a
Try this.
http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk...ted-as-a-busy-port-hotel-92534-24661710/

I was under the impression that Handel stayed at the hotel while on his way to Ireland and waiting for his boat to take him there from Parkgate. He is supposed to have finished writing 'Messiah' while staying there, and to have tried it out at Chester Cathedral. It might be truth or fantasy, don't know - but it's a nice story!

Text from Wikipedia.

During the years when the port existed, two distinguished guests stayed in the local hostelries. One was Lord Nelson's mistress, (Lady) Emma Hamilton, who was born in nearby Ness and who used to bathe at Parkgate, apparently as a cure for a skin complaint.[5][6] The other was Handel who stayed in Parkgate before sailing to Dublin in April 1742 for the first performance of Messiah. He had finished Messiah in the summer of 1741 and at most he could only have added minor touches to the work in Parkgate.

Also has some about Mostyn House School.As follows:

Mostyn House School, a striking black and white building, was opened in Parkgate in 1855. From 1862 until it closed in 2010, it was run by the Grenfell family, most recently as a co-educational day school. Sir Wilfred Grenfell (1865–1940), famous medical missionary to Newfoundland and Labrador, was born in Parkgate and was a pupil at the school.[10]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkgate,_Cheshire
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Mostyn House School - Parkgate - 6th Feb 2012 4:00am
http://www.aboutmyarea.co.uk/Cheshi...ommunity-up-to-date-on-Mostyn-House-site

http://www.oldwirral.com/parkgate_school.html

I hope you find the above helpful. Neston Library is just up the road and there may well be more information there and in Chester Archives.
Posted By: Geekus Re: Mostyn House School - Parkgate - 6th Feb 2012 8:18am
Originally Posted by barry8575
While this subjectFREE MOVIES ONLINE
can be very touchyno. 1 matrimonial site in the world
for most people, my opinion is thatjobs in pakistan
there has to be a middle or common ground that weno.1 software house in the world
all can find. I do appreciate Free Legal Advice

What the....? spamup
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Mostyn House School - Parkgate - 6th Feb 2012 9:22am
Nasty!
Posted By: Geekus Re: Mostyn House School - Parkgate - 6th Feb 2012 10:52am
Originally Posted by Moonstar
Nasty!

They've deleted the original but not mine after highlighting it! smack
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Mostyn House School - Parkgate - 6th Feb 2012 11:20am
Originally Posted by Geekus
Originally Posted by Moonstar
Nasty!

They've deleted the original but not mine after highlighting it! smack

you shouldn't really quote spam - just notify on it!
offtopic - sorry
Posted By: Geekus Re: Mostyn House School - Parkgate - 6th Feb 2012 12:17pm
I'm sure that Mark or one of the mods will delete these comments and put the thread back on track, after all I can't imagine many wiki members fancy applying for jobs in Pakistan... raftl
Posted By: Chopper1979 Re: Mostyn House School - Parkgate - 22nd Feb 2012 10:32pm
I know a few people who were pupils at that school up until about 1996- If anyone remembers Wellington Independent Grammar in bebington, it was closed as it went bust and Mostyn House took all the pupils on from their.
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Mostyn House School - Parkgate - 22nd Feb 2012 11:01pm
this place is closed as i believe and unsafe due to reports in the news www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-17078684
nice air raid shelter under the football pitch tho
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: Mostyn House School - Parkgate - 25th Feb 2012 2:05pm
I was out there today and and yes the road is closed right in front of the school - they'll need to sort that out before the summer as you can't drive from one end to the other, you have to go round
Took some photos but building looks as it has always looks to me
Such a shame if they just end up knocking it down but I suppose it's work a fortune to some developer

Attached picture SAM_3067 (800x600).jpg
Attached picture SAM_3068 (800x600).jpg
Attached picture SAM_3069 (800x600).jpg
Attached picture SAM_3070 (800x600).jpg
Posted By: Madge Re: Mostyn House School - Parkgate - 25th Feb 2012 2:57pm
I was told by someone in the council that there is an order on the site that whatever they do with it then it has to be to do with education, apparently.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Mostyn House School - Parkgate - 25th Feb 2012 4:05pm
I bet the property developers,("ting" goes the spittoon) armed with sufficient fat brown envelopes, will find some loophole or other so they can throw up a load of twee, mega-priced boxes.

Me cynical ..... nah!
Posted By: granny Re: Mostyn House School - Parkgate - 25th Feb 2012 7:45pm
Part of the grounds have already been developed, a little while back.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Mostyn House School - Parkgate - 25th Feb 2012 8:22pm
Thanks Granny. I didn't know that.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Mostyn House School - Parkgate - 25th Feb 2012 8:26pm
[quote=granny]Part of the grounds have already been developed, a little while back. [/quote Really, I am suprised!
Posted By: granny Re: Mostyn House School - Parkgate - 25th Feb 2012 8:43pm
Originally Posted by Bezzymate
[quote=granny]Part of the grounds have already been developed, a little while back. [/quote Really, I am suprised!

Hi Bezzy, it could be something to do with a previous sale of the land, in an attempt to raise funds for the school. I don't know.
Posted By: granny Re: Mostyn House School - Parkgate - 25th Feb 2012 9:34pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
Thanks Granny. I didn't know that.

You might like to read this Pinz. and of course, everyone else.

http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/destinations-national/parkgate-in-general/255564/
© Wirral-Wikiwirral