Forums
Posted By: j_demo what's this building??? - 30th Dec 2011 9:02pm
http://g.co/maps/rh8kp <- google maps link

on the corner of seaview road and maddock road in wallasey/egremont area

anyone know what it used to be? looks like it was either a school or a nursing home. part of me thinks maybe it was also an asylum or something of that nature, was maybe gonna consider some urb-ex on it but with the nature of some of the people who live in said area i don't know if it'd be wise as it may possibly be used as some sort of crack-den or something.

anyone got any ideas???

thanks

- Jack
Posted By: nidgynoo Re: what's this building??? - 30th Dec 2011 9:55pm
I think it was used by the Mariners on the other side,last I heard the police were using it for training (someone told me police dogs but that was a few years ago).
Posted By: kimpri Re: what's this building??? - 30th Dec 2011 9:58pm
Gibson house, clicky
Posted By: nidgynoo Re: what's this building??? - 30th Dec 2011 10:04pm
Waste of a beautiful building,hope something happens sooner rather than later.
Posted By: j_demo Re: what's this building??? - 30th Dec 2011 10:07pm
thanks to both of you!

yeh doubt i'll go investigating if it's got asbestos in it.

but was nice to see photos of the inside in that link, would love to have a look inside myself but as i say, too risky frown
Posted By: kevinhit Re: what's this building??? - 30th Dec 2011 10:08pm
Take a look on this website, liberator 31, this should tell you everything. The police did use it to train police sniffer dogs some years ago. On facebook look at Wallasey Memories, this has loads of info aswell.
Posted By: Angharad111 Re: what's this building??? - 30th Dec 2011 11:53pm
It was the Mariners Home. For retired seafarers. There is also if you walk towards the Mersey on the left hand side of the road a small estate that was also home for Mariners who were higher ranking. Check out the various houses and bungalows. It has a high boundary wall and if you walk along the prom check out the new building with the sea view. The library will have the answer.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: what's this building??? - 31st Dec 2011 12:05am
Originally Posted by Angharad111
It was the Mariners Home. For retired seafarers. There is also if you walk towards the Mersey on the left hand side of the road a small estate that was also home for Mariners who were higher ranking. Check out the various houses and bungalows. It has a high boundary wall and if you walk along the prom check out the new building with the sea view. The library will have the answer.
It was "Andrew Gibson Home for Seamen's Widows", which is across the road from the Mariners.
Posted By: granny Re: what's this building??? - 31st Dec 2011 12:06am
Should it be Seabank Road rather than Seaview Road?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: what's this building??? - 31st Dec 2011 2:56am
In my series 'Roads of Wallasey' I have included some details on 'Andrew Gibson Memorial Home for Seaman's Widows'

http://www....co.uk/wallasey/Seabank_Road/index.html
Posted By: j_demo Re: what's this building??? - 1st Jan 2012 4:36pm
yeh my bad!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral