Forums
Posted By: movingtables CueMasters Snooker club Moreton - 11th Dec 2011 4:16pm
Hi. was just wondering If anyone remembers the snooker club in Moreton that shut down about 1997 or 1998.
It was also home to Moreton football club (pitch on site).
I grew up there working for my aunte and uncle from the age of 12 upwards as a glass collector. had some good times there and remember lots of people.
it was a sharp turn off along Upton road (easily missed).
Did anyone frequent there ?
Posted By: torryman Re: CueMasters Snooker club Moreton - 11th Dec 2011 4:43pm
Yeah I remember it when it was Moreton Football Club. I played there a couple of times with a band..the steward was a guy called Don, who previously was at the Great float club.

I know he moved to the Isle of Man.
Posted By: movingtables Re: CueMasters Snooker club Moreton - 11th Dec 2011 4:45pm
Originally Posted by torryman
Yeah I remember it when it was Moreton Football Club. I played there a couple of times with a band..the steward was a guy called Don, who previously was at the Great float club.

I know he moved to the Isle of Man.

Yes Don is my uncle. smile
Posted By: eggandchips Re: CueMasters Snooker club Moreton - 11th Dec 2011 5:00pm
showing my age now, i remember it as the arrowbrook social club?
Posted By: movingtables Re: CueMasters Snooker club Moreton - 11th Dec 2011 5:28pm
Originally Posted by eggandchips
showing my age now, i remember it as the arrowbrook social club?

i think it was yes. wink
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: CueMasters Snooker club Moreton - 11th Dec 2011 5:51pm
Full title was "Moreton Sports and Social Club/Arrowebrook Sports Ground"
Posted By: derekdwc Re: CueMasters Snooker club Moreton - 11th Dec 2011 5:56pm
I played football there a few times when it was the Moreton Football Club ( it used to be a West Cheshire League club)and used to go there regularly when it became the Arrowebrooke club on
Thursday nights to see the Hillsiders and Saturday nights to see some good acts that performed there before going to the Hamilton Club Birkenhead? later on that night.
Anyone remember the Hague and the Apollo some other clubs in Moreton 1969/70s?
Posted By: neilmcc Re: CueMasters Snooker club Moreton - 11th Dec 2011 6:41pm
i met don and his wife when i was working in the isle of man they ran a pub cant remember the name but they where telling me they had that club and also a house there as well
Posted By: movingtables Re: CueMasters Snooker club Moreton - 11th Dec 2011 6:48pm
Originally Posted by neilmcc
i met don and his wife when i was working in the isle of man they ran a pub cant remember the name but they where telling me they had that club and also a house there as well

ah brilliant.
think they ran the peel castle hotel at one point.
his wife carol passed away about a week ago to cancer sadly.
Posted By: Salmon Re: CueMasters Snooker club Moreton - 11th Dec 2011 7:46pm
I remember both the Haig and Apollo, Mother in law worked in a sweet shop in Moreton and she used to get free tickets for the Haig so we had many a good free night there.
Posted By: neilmcc Re: CueMasters Snooker club Moreton - 11th Dec 2011 8:58pm
Originally Posted by movingtables
Originally Posted by neilmcc

ah brilliant.
think they ran the peel castle hotel at one point.
his wife carol passed away about a week ago to cancer sadly.

so sad to hear had many a good nights in there pub playing darts well trying to whilst extremly hammered lol the pub was only a couple of doors away from the hotel we where staying in so i could crawl back lol

so sad to hear of your loss
Posted By: movingtables Re: CueMasters Snooker club Moreton - 11th Dec 2011 9:05pm
[/quote]

so sad to hear had many a good nights in there pub playing darts well trying to whilst extremly hammered lol the pub was only a couple of doors away from the hotel we where staying in so i could crawl back lol

glad you had some good times with them mate smile
Posted By: neilmcc Re: CueMasters Snooker club Moreton - 11th Dec 2011 9:17pm
Originally Posted by movingtables

glad you had some good times with them mate smile [/quote]

just looked on google earth and looks like the pub was called central it was on a corner
Posted By: sandstorm Re: CueMasters Snooker club Moreton - 12th Dec 2011 2:07pm
My dad worked for Mobil in Wallasey Docks in the 80s and they had a snooker team who used to play in a league, one of the locations was the snooker club in Moreton.
Posted By: movingtables Re: CueMasters Snooker club Moreton - 12th Dec 2011 2:55pm
Originally Posted by sandstorm
My dad worked for Mobil in Wallasey Docks in the 80s and they had a snooker team who used to play in a league, one of the locations was the snooker club in Moreton.

i remember mobil playing there.
i would probably know his face or name smile
Posted By: micsey Re: CueMasters Snooker club Moreton - 12th Dec 2011 3:52pm
was his name billy with glasses,he was a scream,nice fella
Posted By: eggandchips Re: CueMasters Snooker club Moreton - 12th Dec 2011 4:24pm
anybody go on a sunday afternoon to watch the strippers, and see mickey finn,
i didnt of course
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: CueMasters Snooker club Moreton - 12th Dec 2011 4:26pm
i didnt of course

Neither did I
Posted By: derekdwc Re: CueMasters Snooker club Moreton - 12th Dec 2011 5:56pm
i didnt of course

Once after a footie match
Only other time I saw strippers was in Paris when I was 18 and we were seated right at the back. 3s-od to get in and you had to buy a drink cheapest was water £1
Posted By: sandstorm Re: CueMasters Snooker club Moreton - 13th Dec 2011 2:23pm
My dad is called Dave Hoyland, he used to play in the snooker league every week with his workmates, not always at Moreton, but around the area too.
Posted By: roversteve Re: CueMasters Snooker club Moreton - 13th Dec 2011 4:47pm
I also worked at Mobil and played for the works team (Pegasus) at Cuemasters. Dave was my best mate - give him my best regards! Other members of the snooker team included Brian,Alan,Gary,John,Louis and his son Steve - apologies to any I've missed!! Remember some good nights there....

The Billy with glasses you referred to probably played for the other Mobil snooker team who was a real character - his brother was a postie always riding around on a motor scooter in his shorts!!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral