Forums
Posted By: consho PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 8:16am
9.00am NEWSFLASH ON MERSEYMAGAZINE

There is massive disruption on Merseyrail at the moment after workmen cut through a power cable..At the moment there is no service at all on the Northern and Wirral lines..We will keep you updated

www.merseymagazine.co.uk

suggest you check before you travel
Posted By: Clive Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 8:30am
Click Here for further updates.
Posted By: GrandMasterFlash Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 9:01am
Haha was just about to go in the station and a woman stopped me saying there were no trains. But at least I don't have to go to this course tease
Posted By: Anonymous Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 9:04am
ONE signalling (not power)cable cut and the entire system goes tits up! Who dreamed that one up then ?

Not so long ago, Drivers would be authorised to pass a red, get tripped and proceed with caution. I've been in the cab when that's done. A few minutes are added to each journey which can be accumulative, but at least the units kept running!
Posted By: MrBrightside Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 9:04am
wink
Posted By: consho Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 9:07am
10.00am UPDATE…..MERSEYRAIL DISRUPTION
Published September 23, 2011 | By Editor | Edit
Thousands of passengers are still stuck on trains all over the Merseyrail system..Underground stations have now been evacuated and the trains which are stuck in tunnels will be led into the stations..the system should be up and running again before eleven o’clock but there will be knock-on disruptions throughout the day

www.merseymagazine.co.uk

Posted By: MrBrightside Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 9:09am
so there are people still stuck in the tunnels??!! yikes
Posted By: AlexB Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 9:14am
That's hilarious!!

I was going to get the train this morning but last minute I borrowed one of the family cars. I'd have been somewhere around the underground at 9am this morning. Bloody brilliant.

I hope I'm not the only one laughing at the thought of people stuck in the pitch black in tunnels all over the show?
Posted By: MrBrightside Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 9:17am
good excuse to open the doors and a bit of UE wink
Posted By: GrandMasterFlash Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 9:24am
Originally Posted by MrBrightside
good excuse to open the doors and a bit of UE wink

Haha!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 9:30am
Traction current will still be on, so train lights will all be on. No one will be "in the dark". If the TEC phone system is still on (those two bare wires on the tunnel wall), then drivers will be able to get authorisation to take their unit under caution to the nearest station then EVERYONE OUT!

That's how it should work in theory anyway. Of course, they may have cocked the system up/automated it even more. ha.ha.

If push comes to shove and the traction current fails, the emergency lights in the cars will come on and they are quite bright.

I trust your comment Alex, about laughing at people stuck in the dark was an unthinking, spur of the moment job. That AIN'T funny in the slightest!
Posted By: consho Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 9:32am
AlexB..you are a muppet if you think that sort of situation is funny
Posted By: GrandMasterFlash Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 9:35am
If there's no claustrophobic people or anyone that would be affected by it...then it is a little funny blush I'd have found it funny if I was there!
Posted By: MrBrightside Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 9:41am
tbh me to but there could be old folk and people with claustrophobia and man that would be hell for them. Ive always liked being part of mad situations, and knowing that the majority of people on there are from round here they will all have a laugh and a joke becuase thats what we are renowned for!
Posted By: GrandMasterFlash Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 9:43am
tbh me to but there could be old folk and people with claustrophobia and man that would be hell for them.

That's what I just said tease grin
Posted By: Anonymous Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 9:43am
As an aside, I love being underground (in a mine) and switching your light off. You don't get blacker than that Full stop. No problem with that. However, I suspect most "normal" folk - that let's me out - would be scared sh*tless !
Posted By: MrBrightside Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 9:44am
haha i was trying to agree with you! now i look silly laugh
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 9:46am
I feel sorry for those stranded but I would on the floor laughing along with the rest of gang if someone else cut the wrong cable in our work and caused caos like that. That is until we realise we have to work late to replace it.
Posted By: GrandMasterFlash Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 9:47am
haha i was trying to agree with you! now i look silly laugh

Oooh sorry tease gotcha wink
Posted By: Anonymous Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 9:49am
God help the guy who did it. I wish him all the best in his search for another job !! Failing that, he'll get some stick in the Mess Room. There'll be a lot of mileage in that one.
Posted By: MrBrightside Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 9:52am
how on earth can one "cut" thru a cable and still be here! the current in it must me EMMENCE!!!!
Posted By: Clive Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 9:54am
It would be a right shocking experience that one
Posted By: GrandMasterFlash Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 9:56am
'Services are starting 2 resume, please bear with us, it will take some time 2 get everyone moving. Apologies for the Network Rail disruption'

Is it so hard to write 'to'? smirk
Posted By: MrBrightside Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 9:57am
i would of loved to get stuck in there tbh , thats just me!! i just like small tight spaces!! haha
Posted By: Anonymous Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 9:58am
If it's a signalling cable (Merkeyrail said it was) then it's all low voltage stuff. A power cable can be anything from 720v DC (juice rail) to 11,000v (feeder to subs.) You would be wildly invigorated, allbeit briefly, if you hacked into one of those !
Posted By: GrandMasterFlash Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 9:59am
i just like small tight spaces!! haha

shocked
Posted By: MrBrightside Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 10:01am
i mean like tunnels and stuff!!
Posted By: GrandMasterFlash Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 10:02am
Yeah yeah!
Posted By: MrBrightside Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 10:02am
11 k v! jesus man, that would be one hell of a tan and perm laugh
Posted By: MrBrightside Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 10:02am
Im a nice boy GMF!!
Posted By: GrandMasterFlash Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 10:03am
Oh okay I'll remember that tease
Posted By: AlexB Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 10:04am
Sorry, but I meant it. I find it hugely amusing.
Posted By: polo_phil Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 10:09am
Merseyfail
Posted By: MrBrightside Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 10:12am
Merseyfail thats a good one phill! "im going to birkenhell on merseyfail" !
Posted By: polo_phil Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 10:13am
im going to birkenhell

Hey! no
Posted By: GrandMasterFlash Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 10:17am
Birkenhell, love it! grin
Posted By: Snodvan Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 10:24am
I went to NB station around 10am. There was a sign saying trains off - but while I was reading it the station guy said "we are moving" - and fair enough the train left, albeit slowly.

I was only going to Wallasey Village so I have no idea what happened after that

Snod
Posted By: AlexB Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 10:26am
Originally Posted by GrandMasterFlash
Birkenhell, love it! grin

withthat

Jerk'n'head
Posted By: GrandMasterFlash Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 10:27am
Originally Posted by AlexB
Jerk'n'head

Haha!
I shouldn't laugh, I've lived in Birkenhead all my life tease
Posted By: puntoar Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 10:28am
Typical when I have a day off; I might keep this one as an excuse for being late next weekd!!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 10:31am
I was talking to a driver at Hunts Cross Station 2 weeks ago. They (staff) now distance themselves from the term "Miseryrail", which at one time was quite apt.

To be fair, on my travels around the Wirral and Northern Lines when back home, were trouble free. Trains to time. Almost no litter in the cars (travelling litter-pickers doing a great job). Plenty of Revenue Inspectors (?) Only once did I see some numptie put HER feet on the seat - and she got a very firm telling off from a staff member. Everyone (staff) I spoke to were friendly and polite. Things have improved a lot!

Up here I use the Glasgow Underground. Very clean and efficient but, even after 27yrs, I haven't learned the lingo - apart from "See yoo Jimmy!"
Posted By: DodgyDave Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 3:16pm
Yeah to be fair they are so much better then when Arriva ran the trians, always late or getting called off, many of times on my way to college we go the "this train will now end at the next station"
Posted By: PaulTaters Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 7:45pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer

Up here I use the Glasgow Underground. Very clean and efficient but, even after 27yrs, I haven't learned the lingo - apart from "See yoo Jimmy!"

Yes, I went on it last year. Very impressive. As a bit of a rail fan, I loved the narrower carriages on the 4ft gauge track. I remember sitting on the sideways seats and thinking there's not that much room between you and the person opposite.

Went all the way around the loop when I visited the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum (excellent museum BTW).

Train seemed to stop at Govan for ages. I guess with it being a closed loop system, they need to get the timings right with built-in delays.

Be great if they expand the system further in the future.
Posted By: Touchstone Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 7:57pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer

To be fair, on my travels around the Wirral and Northern Lines when back home, were trouble free. Trains to time. Almost no litter in the cars (travelling litter-pickers doing a great job). Plenty of Revenue Inspectors (?) Only once did I see some numptie put HER feet on the seat - and she got a very firm telling off from a staff member.

The trains always come out of the depots spotless in the morning, that's true. But last thing at night they resemble Bidston Tip. Rubbish everywhere. There are some messy passengers on Merseyside. I hate the feet-on-seat brigade but there do seem to be less of them since it started to carry a heavy fine.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: PROBLEMS ON MERSEYRAIL - 23rd Sep 2011 9:31pm
Yes, Paul, it's great wee subway ! For a narrow gauge system they seem to go like a bat out of hell. Faster than the London Tube stock I'm sure. Fast acceleration and rapid braking. I always try to make sure I've grabbed a seat before thet start off!

Indeed, with the sideways seats, you seem almost knee to knee with the buddy opposite. Park & Ride's cheap(ish) as well. Secure CCTV car parks. £3.50 for the day. Not bad for Glasgow.

As you say, if they gain a few minutes going round the circle, they wait at Govan until they are spot on time again.

For visitors to Glasgow, it's well worth a hurl on ra' caurs ! Where's ma deep fried Mars Bar & poke o' Chips ???
© Wirral-Wikiwirral