Forums
Posted By: Guevara66 Roadside tributes - 3rd Sep 2011 2:30pm
Isn't it about time to ask people not to leave floral tributes at the scene of an accident. I totally understand the need for people to express their grief, but don't think a week later dead flowers and tatty bits of cellaphane make a very nice memorial to a loved one. We need to be more positive in life rather than dwelling on the negative, as I drive all over Merseyside it's like taking a trip to a cemetary and nobody takes responsibilty to clear these things up.
Maybe it would be an idea if the Council respected people wish to leave a floral tribute on the understanding that they will be cleaned up a week later? Thoughts?
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Roadside tributes - 3rd Sep 2011 2:38pm
The council(?) put up a sign now with a flower on. They are good... don't know if they do it for free?
Posted By: Guevara66 Re: Roadside tributes - 3rd Sep 2011 2:44pm
I saw that in Wallasey when that girl was tragically mowed down by the immigrant with no insurance, etc. It was respectful, but if it was outside your house would you want it? I was driving through Warrington and a car had crashed into the gate post of a large private house, the poor people who lived their had to put up with a carpet of flowers on their drive for weeks.
Posted By: sean99789 Re: Roadside tributes - 3rd Sep 2011 2:48pm
i agree with the comments on the tributes but the council would be seen as being disrespectfull if they removed them though even when they are wilting etc
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Roadside tributes - 3rd Sep 2011 3:18pm
The small sign with the flower on I think is ideal
Posted By: sean99789 Re: Roadside tributes - 3rd Sep 2011 3:23pm
withthat i agree something that can be reused
Posted By: polo_phil Re: Roadside tributes - 3rd Sep 2011 3:34pm
I'm not saying flowers shouldn't be put down. But after x amount of weeks the sign/plaque is the best way of marking the spot imo
Posted By: ex0__ Re: Roadside tributes - 3rd Sep 2011 4:09pm
I never understood this custom. Grief should be a personal feeling, I don't want to be walking around and see some lampost covered in flowers. Just always seemed nonsensical to me.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Roadside tributes - 3rd Sep 2011 4:14pm
Originally Posted by Guevara66
I saw that in Wallasey when that girl was tragically mowed down by the immigrant with no insurance, etc. It was respectful, but if it was outside your house would you want it? I was driving through Warrington and a car had crashed into the gate post of a large private house, the poor people who lived their had to put up with a carpet of flowers on their drive for weeks.

You should see what one family did in Tyldesley when their daughter was run over. It started with pink ribbons in a tree, which was fairly tasteful but ended up with a mini gravestone at the side of the pavement. I kid you not.
Posted By: Tatey Re: Roadside tributes - 3rd Sep 2011 4:16pm
Just another silly Yankee habit we have adopted.
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: Roadside tributes - 3rd Sep 2011 4:30pm
I don't like them. I think its really tacky. We have graves and gardens of remembrance for that type of thing. I don't know why anyone would like to be remembered by a bunch of rotting dead flowers taped to a lamppost.
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Roadside tributes - 3rd Sep 2011 4:48pm
Originally Posted by KevinFinity
I don't like them. I think its really tacky. We have graves and gardens of remembrance for that type of thing. I don't know why anyone would like to be remembered by a bunch of rotting dead flowers taped to a lamppost.
withthat
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Roadside tributes - 3rd Sep 2011 6:05pm
But if that gives comfort to those who have lost,where is the harm?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Roadside tributes - 3rd Sep 2011 6:12pm
I think the 'flower signs' were brought in because floral displays are distracting to motorists.
Posted By: dirtydave99 Re: Roadside tributes - 3rd Sep 2011 6:39pm
I don't see any harm in this at all, people will still put them down no matter what,if I get ran over I wana big massive oak tree planted an I don't care if its in middle of pavement or the road the people will just haft to drive\walk round it an on anniverserys an me birthday of course, I want me family an friends to form a big circle round it an hold hands an skip round it singing come by are m'lord come by are....
Posted By: Guevara66 Re: Roadside tributes - 3rd Sep 2011 6:50pm
Bezzymate, I don't doubt that leaving flowers may bring a bereaved person some comfort, do you believe if the same person walked by the spot a few weeks later dead flowers would really help them in their grief? These subjects are very sensitive so we should always be aware not to offend anyone. But the fact of the matter is these floral tributes end up looking like dumped rubbish tied around a tree, lampost or railings. Scotland road in Liverpool has a plaque off a grave bolted onto some railings where some funeral goers were knocked down some years ago? I think there is a need for reason, understanding and respect at the same time.
Posted By: Silverback Re: Roadside tributes - 3rd Sep 2011 7:15pm
Maybe they should put the island with the light back at Charing Cross.

They can put their flowers there, then at every new death the council can clear it in readiness.
Posted By: Lil_bird Re: Roadside tributes - 3rd Sep 2011 7:23pm
My own son was killed in a road accident and there were a lot of floral tributes laid but my brother took on the task of removing them as they wilted. i agree they do look awful and are no tribute when they are left there long after the event
Posted By: Guevara66 Re: Roadside tributes - 3rd Sep 2011 10:02pm
PJH1612, thank you for your post, I'm sure everyone is grateful for your input. Bless you x
Posted By: bert1 Re: Roadside tributes - 4th Sep 2011 5:57am
I don't think a few flowers can do any harm, especially if it brings comfort to their loved ones and there's more crap and rubbish lying around the streets than a few dead flowers to worry about. What i do hate to see at these floral tributes is when they turn it into what resembles a junk shop, football shirts, scarfs and tee shirts with their favourite group on, etc, etc.
What did make me chuckle once on walking past one of the junk shop tributes was and without going into to much detail, when someone of dubious character was killed carrying out a dubious activity close to where i live, amongst the tat was a pair of handcuffs hanging on the railings. hehe.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Roadside tributes - 4th Sep 2011 9:37am
The Greeks leave cigarettes and beer for the consumption of the departeds' souls. The most touching I saw was one in the Troodos Mountains where a lorry load of British squaddies went over the edge and were killed, this in the 60's I think. The locals were still leaving their offerings when I was last there in the late 90's, a lovely gesture.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral