Forums
Posted By: paxvobiscum Advice needed about driveway - 26th Jul 2011 7:35am
My shared drive is breaking up and weeds come through. It was last done before I moved into the property some time ago and it was a bad job.
It slopes down towards our back doors.
Can anyone advise which type would be best so that no weeds come through, if those smooth drives are slippy when it is wet, estimated prices for the different types and has anyone had work done they are pleased with and would let me know contact information so I can contact them.
Do you think best to leave a small garden or get that done as well?
Sorry to woffle on but quite frankly I haven't a clue. Thanks.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Advice needed about driveway - 26th Jul 2011 8:01am
Concrete has and will stand the test of time providing it is laid properly and with the right thickness, cosmetically there are many other drives that can be laid that will look nicer but will not have the stability as concrete, especially if there is traffic moving and being parked on it.
Like everything else you get what you pay for, no need to worry about the slope so much as channels should be fitted to take water away from the house, as for the finish, any contractor would be able to give you an anti slip finish that you require. I can't give you any idea of prices, only to say a few years ago my sister had her drive done with this stamped concrete that seems very popular and when she told me the price it was a sit down and i was put in the recovery position.
Posted By: rocks Re: Advice needed about driveway - 26th Jul 2011 9:07am
my lad is in the prossess of setting up his own firm to do driveways,i'll try and get prices off him
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: Advice needed about driveway - 28th Jul 2011 8:36pm
Thanks Bert1 and Rocks for your replies.

I will see my next door neighbours next week. I think the concrete is sensible though it does not look very exciting.

It may be decided on price though my neighbour has a heavy car and we will want the job to last
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Advice needed about driveway - 28th Jul 2011 9:03pm
The concrete can be coloured, slightly or strongly, if they mix it on site, it takes that horrible bright white look away. If use spot etc delivery then your snookered, it can be painted but not cheap for a decent epoxy paint that's going to last.

Beware of those patterned stone-look ones, some of those need to "maintained" every year or so.
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: Advice needed about driveway - 29th Jul 2011 8:59am
Thanks Digging Deeper. This is very useful advice as I did not know about the pros and cons of the type of approach,finish and durability.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral