Forums
Posted By: detsi Site of Hotel Vic' Albion St. - 16th Jan 2011 6:32pm
Did the lads go for a tea-break a couple of years ago then disappear? Talk about the Marie Celeste.
Anyone know what's happening here?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Site of Hotel Vic' Albion St. - 16th Jan 2011 6:36pm
Ran out of money - site yours for around £500,000
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Site of Hotel Vic' Albion St. - 16th Jan 2011 8:24pm
I actually work in the same building that the Developers actually were based. They have left all their office furniture, files etc when they went bust and moved out.
Posted By: MikeT Re: Site of Hotel Vic' Albion St. - 17th Jan 2011 7:51am
Originally Posted by detsi
Did the lads go for a tea-break a couple of years ago then disappear? Talk about the Marie Celeste.
Anyone know what's happening here?

The planning committee should have forced them to leave the building standing and turn it into apartments. It was a distinctive, solid redbrick building and should have been preserved, but no, the developers wanted to "maximise their investment" (= knock it down and build as many rabbit hutches on the land as they could get away with). Due to their greed and the council's lack of balls where once we had a fine building we now have a waterlogged hole in the ground.

Whoever buys the site is going to have to dig out all that concrete which is wrecked and drain the ground properly - it's like a swimming pool. If it had been built on it would be subsiding in no time.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Site of Hotel Vic' Albion St. - 17th Jan 2011 10:55am
Agreed, I can't see anything happening with it any time soon...

Posted By: philmch Re: Site of Hotel Vic' Albion St. - 17th Jan 2011 5:59pm
Well said Mike T. It's a disgrace that the Vic was ever allowed to be demolished. Its ballroom was listed. If there are major redundancies being made by WBC, I hope that the first to go are those who authorised this vandalism.

They should be forced to demolish what's on the site and rebuild the Vic to its original spec.
Posted By: detsi Re: Site of Hotel Vic' Albion St. - 18th Jan 2011 6:22pm
Originally Posted by Alex85
Ran out of money - site yours for around £500,000

Does that include that bloody big crane that's been standing there idle since they packed up ? What an eye-sore.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Site of Hotel Vic' Albion St. - 18th Jan 2011 8:53pm
Where did the bricks go to? Surely they should have been of historic value?
Posted By: ianbx1 Re: Site of Hotel Vic' Albion St. - 20th Jan 2011 12:24am
My mate lived opposite the Vic just before it closed. The main building (like many in New Brighton and Wallasey) was "walking" down the hill towards the sea, walls leaning this way and that and massive cracks running up the walls. Some of the lintels were cracked and a most of them had slipped. I'm no structural engineer but the whole thing looked pretty unstable to me. Architectural merit ... well it's subjective isn't it, I had a good look around the place myself and I won't miss it, shame any developer goes bust if only for the poor folks who loose their jobs.
Posted By: Nigel Re: Site of Hotel Vic' Albion St. - 20th Jan 2011 5:22pm
I am told there was a Masonic lodge room inside the hotel Vic at one point, does anyone have any photos of it? Or do they know if this was infact the case?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Site of Hotel Vic' Albion St. - 20th Jan 2011 6:45pm
Originally Posted by Nigel
I am told there was a Masonic lodge room inside the hotel Vic at one point, does anyone have any photos of it? Or do they know if this was infact the case?

New Brighton lodge is number 2619 and was founded about 1896

There is a chance that they met at the Assembly Rooms in Albion Street, New Brighton but I have so far been able to confirm this.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Site of Hotel Vic' Albion St. - 20th Jan 2011 8:51pm
I thought that I maybe able to contribute to this,as I have my Great Uncle's handbook from 1926.Sorry it's just full of rules and regulations.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Site of Hotel Vic' Albion St. - 20th Jan 2011 10:05pm
By 1926 all the Wallasey Lodges were meeting at the Masonic Temple (Masonic Hall, Manor Rd) which was built about 1910, prior to this the lodges met at different locations.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Site of Hotel Vic' Albion St. - 21st Jan 2011 3:06pm
Originally Posted by philmch

They should be forced to demolish what's on the site and rebuild the Vic to its original spec.

withthat
Posted By: ianbx1 Re: Site of Hotel Vic' Albion St. - 25th Feb 2011 11:06pm
Why? It was of no true architectural merit, to be homest it was ugly and in it's later years couldn't even be used as a hotel as it was falling down !
© Wirral-Wikiwirral