Forums
Posted By: detsi Bidston Moss flyover - 26th Oct 2010 5:27pm
Does anyone know what on earth is going on? I've been told that the Eiffel Tower and the network of the London sewers were built in a shorter spell of time than these flyover repairs have taken so far.
Posted By: Bezzymate Re: Bidston Moss flyover - 26th Oct 2010 8:10pm
Good point.I think they go on till 2012 though!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Bidston Moss flyover - 26th Oct 2010 10:42pm
Thats because they are ongoing like, well... forever! The flyover has some serious issues (fundamental construction flaws) and basically needs knocking down and rebuilding from scratch. I did read a good report on the issues and why they exist etc a few years back, they had done feasability studies on alternatives but alas it will never get knocked down

Everytime they work on it they say it will fix it long-term and then 6-18 months later its being worked on again!

What is really pissing me off atm is the mess
that is the New Ferry bypass, absolutely pathetic state of affairs!
Posted By: cathie Re: Bidston Moss flyover - 26th Oct 2010 10:55pm
New Ferry bypass is the biggest pisser...seriously gettin on my t**s now somad
Posted By: tigertiger1953 Re: Bidston Moss flyover - 26th Oct 2010 11:31pm
Well it's not rocket science but somehow the 1970's engineers and their successors seemed oblivious to the fact that Bidston moss was a marsh and you can't build on a marsh. Also the box sections they used have since acquired a reputation similar to that of the staircases Barrett's fitted in their 1970s homes.
As well said by Matt........knock it down and start again.
Posted By: MikeT Re: Bidston Moss flyover - 27th Oct 2010 6:29am
Originally Posted by detsi
Does anyone know what on earth is going on? I've been told that the Eiffel Tower and the network of the London sewers were built in a shorter spell of time than these flyover repairs have taken so far.
It was built using box section steel, experimental at the time, and which has been used successfully in warmer climates. But no-one factored in the Brit weather, so it started rotting from day one. Since the engineers realised it was corroding away it's been an ongoing process of patching it up when, as others say, it would have been cheaper and quicker to knock the bloody thing down and rebuild.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bidston Moss flyover - 27th Oct 2010 12:33pm
Yes, as well said in previous posts, time for a new one. Only this time GET IT RIGHT !!!

The box section sketch was disaster. It had to beefed up after only a year or so following a collapse of a similar structure in Oz (?). Piles driven into boggy ground are a waste of (our) money unless they are down to bedrock, no matter how deep you have to go. The old "proper" railway engineers new this in the 1800's.

Build a new viaduct alongside the "old" one, then blow the old one up. A couple of penny bangers should do it !!

Who pays for it ? Well the original architect, specifiers, contractors or their descendants of course. They made megabucks out a shoddy job at our expence.

Rant over. Where's dem pills ?
Posted By: Stegga Re: Bidston Moss flyover - 27th Oct 2010 1:33pm
In the early 80's I worked with a couple of blokes who were involved in the pile driving for this bridge when it was first built. I remember them saying that in certain places they would position one of the piles, start the pile driver and it would drive it straight in with just a couple of whacks, it literally fell into the ground. "I'll never forget the "shhloooooop" noise they made as they just disapeared" were his words.
Don't hold your breath on this one being the fix to end all fixes.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bidston Moss flyover - 27th Oct 2010 1:46pm
Well Stegga, that just about says it all eh ??
Posted By: tigertiger1953 Re: Bidston Moss flyover - 28th Oct 2010 10:58am
I heard similar tales at the time of building it. The bottomless marsh and the box sections rusting from the inside quicker than a Montego explains it all. But who designed it and who sanctioned the work? Obviously these people arfe living (if alive) on fat pensions while the rest of us pick up the bill for repair after repair.
Posted By: Nigel Re: Bidston Moss flyover - 28th Oct 2010 2:11pm
withthat
Posted By: detsi Re: Bidston Moss flyover - 29th Oct 2010 9:08am
It must be costing an absolute fortune. Costains have teams of men and machinery utilised. Who is paying for this and where is the money coming from?
Posted By: little_pob Re: Bidston Moss flyover - 29th Oct 2010 10:49am
Originally Posted by detsi
It must be costing an absolute fortune. Costains have teams of men and machinery utilised. Who is paying for this and where is the money coming from?

I don't recall seeing the usual signage saying who the contractors are working on behalf of. So, at a guess, the Highways Agency through general taxation. (IIRC, road tax is no longer ring fenced.)

Although the council and Merseytravel may be responsible for some of the cost as the motorway ends part way across the flyover.
Posted By: wallaseyjohn Re: Bidston Moss flyover - 23rd Apr 2011 10:34am
I live within a few minutes walk of this epic failure.

I have also randomly come into contact with someone who claimed to have been involved in designing the flyovers around the Wirral. With my experience of them being, they've been in repair my entire life, I'm not sure if I'd have mentioned it personally. He was indeed living in a nice house, quite a good distance from Bidston Moss.

Every time I've seen it recently I've been wandering if it is being used as some kind of money suck project.

I barely EVER see anyone actually working down there - even realising the work needs doing inside the sections, there'll be one or two guys wandering around.

The scaffolding alone is immense. That must be chewing through money if it's being rented.

I would like some explanation of what they're actually doing, particularly if the council is paying any money towards it. You could indeed build a ship quicker than it's taken them to weld some plates to the inside of the boxes, which is what I've been told they're doing.

I never see anyone with a respirator on, or connected to an airline to crawl into the tubes, or any signs of welding.

If the entire underside of the boxes is scaffolded, does this mean sections of it are now rotted so badly a guy could fall through them?

Steel is used out at sea. The solution is usually to fix sacrificial blocks to the hull and paint it. Not weld bits on as it falls apart.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Bidston Moss flyover - 23rd Apr 2011 12:10pm
There's a lot to be said for arches, much more tolerant of movement in the foundations. I don't know why they haven't put arched supports under the existing spans. Box section bridges are renowned for problems.

I'm amazed they have corrosion problems, there are enough products out there to resolve water ingress.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Bidston Moss flyover - 23rd Apr 2011 7:15pm
Funnily enough, I went across it before, and as I did, the usual "what a pisstake fail" convo started to Mel, proceeding to the old "imagine how much money they waste keeping it stading doing millions of pounds worth of work to it every 18 months and ending with the "I don't know why they dont just knock the stupid thing down and start again" lol.

I think everyone but the Highways agency has been saying for the last decade...
Posted By: DavidBridger Re: Bidston Moss flyover - 30th Apr 2011 6:05pm
We lived on Mosslands Drive when I was a kid, immediately in front of the flyovers with only the allotments between them and us. I hated what they did to the moss. I think I was about ten or eleven when they started, and until then I was Wetland Boy. My mum hardly ever saw me from dawn to dusk in the summer holidays. Then suddenly they were ripping it up, and building a motorway across it, and it was as good as gone almost overnight. I'd forgotten until now just how much I hated that.
Posted By: Geekus Re: Bidston Moss flyover - 1st May 2011 9:08am
Lucky for you 'Wetland Boy' it wasn't known as a 'Bog'!! raftl

Happy times, eh? Reminds me of when I used to go down there myself looking for newts & tadpoles.

Also used to like walking the Bidston Footpath until it got overrun by rats from the tip... thumbsdown

Posted By: DavidBridger Re: Bidston Moss flyover - 1st May 2011 10:32am
Yeah, Bog Boy was more like it. smile

We had huge rats nesting under the path in our back garden for years afterwards.
Posted By: detsi Re: Bidston Moss flyover - 21st Nov 2011 3:22pm
Walking through, to B&Q, today I noticed some workmen taking down scaffolding. They told me that the work was COMPLETED but it would take a few weeks to clear the site.
Posted By: Snickas Re: Bidston Moss flyover - 21st Nov 2011 4:16pm
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Posted By: Madge Re: Bidston Moss flyover - 21st Nov 2011 4:38pm
Will believe it when i see it, its jst a money pit, always has been always will,
Posted By: Volly Re: Bidston Moss flyover - 21st Nov 2011 5:14pm
Pathetic really.

Japan have rebuilt nearly an entire nation faster than these have been able to fix a bridge.
Posted By: FiremanFil Re: Bidston Moss flyover - 23rd Nov 2011 7:05pm
Japan built a nation because they were galvanised by defeat and subsidised by USA. We lost a nation because we sat on our ar*es and expected to get paid for doing nothing!!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bidston Moss flyover - 23rd Nov 2011 8:20pm
Give it a year or two and it'll be closed again, to rectify the ongoing cock-ups! Someone said a while back (quite rightly) demolish the whole bloody thing and start again. THIS time do it RIGHT!!!! You can only patch up a crap design/build so many times before you have to admit it's a total Money Pit - as well said by Madge.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral