Forums
Posted By: Nigel New ferry by pass - 29th May 2010 10:02am
Has anyone ever noticed when driving from Birkenhead towards Brombourough along the New ferry bypass that just about half way down as the road bends there is a road sign on the left hand side stating "BEBINGTON". This appears to be no where near Bebington why is it there?
Posted By: Waddi Re: New ferry by pass - 29th May 2010 10:58am
Isn't it something like Bebington is a district, consisting of Bromborough, Eastham, Spital, Port Sunlight, and Bebington itself. Maybe even New Ferry, But I think Rock Ferry is classed under Birkenhead.
Posted By: SUExx Re: New ferry by pass - 29th May 2010 11:09am
Originally Posted by Waddi
Isn't it something like Bebington is a district, consisting of Bromborough, Eastham, Spital, Port Sunlight, and Bebington itself. Maybe even New Ferry, But I think Rock Ferry is classed under Birkenhead.

Thats right cos when you get to the end of the by pass at the rounabout you have a choice as to were you want to go such as brom direction for eastham ect or port sunlight direction leading to bebington or new ferry direction.
Posted By: dizdazdoz Re: New ferry by pass - 29th May 2010 11:10am
Waddi, think you are right. I recall being told that Wirral use to be made up of different little councils like Bebington, Birkenhead etc and the sign possibly refers to that.
Posted By: starakita Re: New ferry by pass - 29th May 2010 12:16pm
my brother used to live in easton road and he said he had a bebington post code even though he said he lived in new ferry.
Posted By: oscarpops Re: New ferry by pass - 29th May 2010 6:22pm
new ferry is in bebington its the border of birkenhead and bebington
Posted By: Capt_America Re: New ferry by pass - 29th May 2010 10:16pm
Don't forget pre 1974 Bebington had it's own mayor and town hall complete with chain of office etc.
Posted By: DavidB Re: New ferry by pass - 30th May 2010 7:59am
I was told the reason why New Ferry shore went the way it has now (ie a disgraceful mess) is because the bypass cut off the road into it (bottom of Bedford Road)?
Posted By: yoller Re: New ferry by pass - 31st May 2010 12:00am
Oscarpops is correct: New Ferry has always been part of Bebington.
Posted By: Tatey Re: New ferry by pass - 31st May 2010 7:50am
I remember doing the magic 100 mph down it on my bike when it first opened!
Posted By: Nigel Re: New ferry by pass - 31st May 2010 7:33pm
Originally Posted by Tatey

Blimey, Glad your still here to tell the tale!
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: New ferry by pass - 1st Jun 2010 4:10pm

Lol nice one happy
Posted By: Mother_Goose Re: New ferry by pass - 1st Jun 2010 6:06pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_

Lol nice one happy

thats just stupid....
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: New ferry by pass - 1st Jun 2010 6:31pm
popcorn.....
Posted By: Wench Re: New ferry by pass - 1st Jun 2010 6:37pm

I'm no angel when it comes to motorbikes but I have to say that speeding on that particular stretch is madness.

Having worked in A&E, trauma theatres and Orthopaedic wards etc I've seen the damage that can be done when you come off a bike...not just at daft speeds either.

It makes me mad when I see people on bikes wearing vest tops and shorts - they should be made to stand in theatre when a full leg deglove comes in!! It may make them think twice!

Posted By: CVCVCV Re: New ferry by pass - 1st Jun 2010 8:19pm
Originally Posted by Wench
It makes me mad when I see people on bikes wearing vest tops and shorts - they should be made to stand in theatre when a full leg deglove comes in!! It may make them think twice!

withthat
(being an ex-motorcyclist meself and having witnessed some nasty cases of "road-rash"...) Well said!
Posted By: starakita Re: New ferry by pass - 1st Jun 2010 8:32pm
i used to ride a motorbike and i always thought people who didnt cover up were daft.had afew spills but came away unscathed.
Posted By: oscarpops Re: New ferry by pass - 1st Jun 2010 9:56pm
im an ex motorcyclist ialways coverd up only came away with a dislocated hand and a broken wrist never had road rash but have seen it
Posted By: Tatey Re: New ferry by pass - 2nd Jun 2010 6:00am
Please bear in mind that when I did my "Ton" there was no traffic at all on the by-pass & there was no speed limit. I am still here to tell the tale, many years later, no bikes these days, but still drive a 4WD at a sensible speed & obey traffic rules.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: New ferry by pass - 2nd Jun 2010 3:47pm
Nt being funny or nothing, but I could hit at least 70+ on the New Ferry bypass if the law allowed, and feel very comfortable doing so - and this is in a 75, a large car renowned for its comfort and luxury rather than sporty handling (though it is still extremely good compared to any standard car of its size, its not sporty in the slightest). So I can't see why people think it would be unsafe to speed on there, I mean come on, its a mainly straight road, with very long curves and a fantastic surface (well the minute its not due to roadworks). The 50 limit is pathetic for the type of road it is, and I have a feeling it is in place so the cops can catch people speeding.

When travelling along it, you do get the feeling you are travelling too slow for the type of road it is, and there is always people bombing past you at 60+ mph. And im certainly not a fast driver, or someone with an addiction to speed or anything, but I don't see any particular reason why the bypass is a 50. Its certainly no worse than the Fender flyover, which is a 70 limit, in fact its much safer to hit a high speed along it, because its a lot longer and there is no blind hill.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: New ferry by pass - 2nd Jun 2010 3:47pm
but still drive a 4WD at a sensible speed & obey traffic rules.

Sure thing Tatey, we belive you [Linked Image]
Posted By: CVCVCV Re: New ferry by pass - 2nd Jun 2010 4:16pm
Please bear in mind that when I did my "Ton" there was no traffic at all on the by-pass & there was no speed limit. I am still here to tell the tale, many years later, no bikes these days, but still drive a 4WD at a sensible speed & obey traffic rules.

The other thing about the NFBP (iirc) is that there are no side roads or junctions on the bypass, so no-one is going to pull out in front of you! (as they incessantly do, to all motorbikes, almost everywhere else - groan!)
Posted By: MrPhil Re: New ferry by pass - 2nd Jun 2010 4:50pm

That all lol.
Posted By: starakita Re: New ferry by pass - 2nd Jun 2010 6:57pm
im sure the bypass used to have a 60 mph on it
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: New ferry by pass - 3rd Jun 2010 1:01pm
Originally Posted by CVCVCV

The other thing about the NFBP (iirc) is that there are no side roads or junctions on the bypass, so no-one is going to pull out in front of you! (as they incessantly do, to all motorbikes, almost everywhere else - groan!)

I'm just greateful that bikes never pull in front of anyone. Yeah right!
Posted By: Capt_America Re: New ferry by pass - 3rd Jun 2010 9:31pm
Its possible to be knocked off and nearly killed at 20 mph, I know first hand.
Posted By: oscarpops Re: New ferry by pass - 3rd Jun 2010 10:04pm
I'm sure it was 70 down the by pass thats what i used to do seems the council want you to travel at 20 mph everywere now
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: New ferry by pass - 5th Jun 2010 8:58am
Originally Posted by MattLFC
Its certainly no worse than the Fender flyover, which is a 70 limit

Matt - I thought that flyover was 50mph?
Posted By: inflatablebone Re: New ferry by pass - 18th Nov 2010 8:23am
Roadworks have finally finished ....Hooooraaahhhh !!
Posted By: StuyMac Re: New ferry by pass - 18th Nov 2010 8:58am
About time!
Posted By: polo_phil Re: New ferry by pass - 18th Nov 2010 9:05am
laugh
Posted By: polo_phil Re: New ferry by pass - 18th Nov 2010 9:06am
I think if they didn't paint the bends like a race track people might slow down a bit!
Posted By: jabber_Ish Re: New ferry by pass - 18th Nov 2010 11:48am
fender flyover is now a 40 zone i do believe
Posted By: Hiekel_Essterol Re: New ferry by pass - 18th Nov 2010 12:19pm
It is indeed. Apparently the 'reason' for it is that it crosses a railway line, and after a previous (I cant remember which one) accident involving a van coming off a road and down to a train line road speeds are being reduced where they cross a train line.

Thats the excuse they are using for Bidston Flyover. If that is truly the reason I cant wait for them to drop the M53 to 40mph just before J5 where is crosses the line to Chester!!!
Posted By: polo_phil Re: New ferry by pass - 19th Nov 2010 11:54am
What about just after Junction one where it crosses over the West Kirby line? And runs right alongside in the other diresction...
© Wirral-Wikiwirral