Forums
Posted By: Jenny_S Help woth transport? - 3rd Apr 2010 3:25pm
Does anyone know if you can get help with travel costs or getting at least your provisional licence while on benifits?

I work part time but still sign on at the job centre and I am starting a masters degree in social work in september, I really need a car for the course and for the type of work it will cover as most placemnet will not take me without one but am not earning much at the moment.

People keep saying you can get help with transport if you find a job but noone seems to be able to point to how I actually look into this.

thanks x x x
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Help woth transport? - 3rd Apr 2010 3:28pm
Merseytravel do you a 6 month pass. Ill dig info out + get back to you.
Posted By: Jenny_S Re: Help woth transport? - 3rd Apr 2010 3:31pm
Can I just point out something because I have posted this elsewhere and just got abuse at being a bum on the dole.

I had a job, which i was working mostly full time, my shop was closed. I had a job set up after uni and the funding fell through. I have applied everywhere. I work 13 hours a week and volunteer the rest. The volunteer work will eventually get me a paid job along with the masters degree that I will be starting. I get no money off the job centre and have had to move back in with my parents. The only reason why I sign on is because if I needed to get prescriptions I may not have the money for this otherwise and because I am more likely to find out about opportunities to actually get a full time job.

Sorry just sometimes people label everyone with the same label.

xxx

Posted By: Jenny_S Re: Help woth transport? - 3rd Apr 2010 3:32pm
Rudebox thank you that would be really helpful smile
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Help woth transport? - 3rd Apr 2010 3:34pm
'lets get moving' offer a free pass if your new job is 16 or more hrs a week. 0151 666 6511 or 0800 389 6535 to apply.
www.letsgetmovingmerseyside.org
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Help woth transport? - 3rd Apr 2010 4:34pm
They used to run a low-cost weekly 50cc scooter rental scheme, which included your CBT license, scooter, helmet/safety equipment, tax (if applicable), insurance and other costs, for about a fiver a week iirc.

My mother had a leaflet about it when she worked on an NHS Quit Smoking scheme and had to visit people around the local area etc.

Not sure if they still do it, but someone on here may know more, and one of the job centre people may know something about it.

Hope you can work something out, and I wish you the best of luck with your degree!

smile
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Help woth transport? - 3rd Apr 2010 4:39pm
Yer they still do matt.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Help woth transport? - 5th Apr 2010 12:45pm
Originally Posted by Jenny_S
Can I just point out something because I have posted this elsewhere and just got abuse at being a bum on the dole.

Not on here I hope!

Good luck with your endeavours.
Posted By: Jenny_S Re: Help woth transport? - 8th Apr 2010 1:23pm
No not on here hun....Much nicer people here....

Its with teenagers mainly...giving those with real background issues a chance at life and a chance for some help with such issues

Thanks guys al check it all out x
Posted By: jemarc Re: Help woth transport? - 8th Apr 2010 3:15pm
they still so the scooter scheme something to do with merseytravel and it cost £10 per week all included and you get it for 6months
© Wirral-Wikiwirral