Forums
Posted By: Victor_Meldrew Job Centre - And Signing Weekly - 6th Dec 2009 6:09pm
I am still seeking work at the moment and you wouldn't believe the amount of job i am applying for and getting no were.

But i have an interview next week with the job centre and after that i will have to sign on weekly for a few months which is a real pain and is pointless to me as there not helping me one bit getting back to work.

Is there any way to get out of not signing every week?
Please let me know.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Job Centre - And Signing Weekly - 6th Dec 2009 6:12pm
Get on the incapacity benefit-joke. Do a course that they may offer you. Ask them. Good luck with the job hunting.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Job Centre - And Signing Weekly - 6th Dec 2009 6:12pm
Get on the incapacity benefit-joke. Do a course that they may offer you. Ask them. Good luck with the job hunting.
Posted By: vw_kyle Re: Job Centre - And Signing Weekly - 6th Dec 2009 8:24pm
im signing on my self mate and they do apsolutely feck all to get you back to work there useless ive applied for loads off full time jobs my self and had no luck uve got to sign on everyweek because it goes towards your national insurance contributions,i could ask my boss if shes got any work going i work in a paper mill off a weeked send us a private message if ya interested and ill see what i can do but aint promising any thing
Posted By: kimpri Re: Job Centre - And Signing Weekly - 6th Dec 2009 8:41pm
Is there any way to get out of not signing every week?
Please let me know.

ye dont sign on?
Ive been out of work 8 weeks now carnt be arsed singing on for what they give ye.
Posted By: jimbob Re: Job Centre - And Signing Weekly - 6th Dec 2009 9:41pm
if you dont sign on apart from the little bit of benifit money you dont get, you also do not get your national insurance stamp credit. This is worth getting out of bed for in the long term.
Posted By: kimpri Re: Job Centre - And Signing Weekly - 6th Dec 2009 9:48pm
Originally Posted by jimbob
if you dont sign on apart from the little bit of benifit money you dont get, you also do not get your national insurance stamp credit. This is worth getting out of bed for in the long term.
ye know that not out of work long catch up from wages?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Job Centre - And Signing Weekly - 6th Dec 2009 9:50pm
But whys it weekly for some? My lads still on the 2wk trek to sign on the dotted...
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Job Centre - And Signing Weekly - 6th Dec 2009 9:51pm
But whys it weekly for some? My lads still on the 2wk trek to sign on the dotted...
Posted By: vw_kyle Re: Job Centre - And Signing Weekly - 6th Dec 2009 10:11pm
im not sure
Posted By: Victor_Meldrew Re: Job Centre - And Signing Weekly - 6th Dec 2009 10:17pm
Originally Posted by vw_kyle
im signing on my self mate and they do apsolutely feck all to get you back to work there useless ive applied for loads off full time jobs my self and had no luck uve got to sign on everyweek because it goes towards your national insurance contributions,i could ask my boss if shes got any work going i work in a paper mill off a weeked send us a private message if ya interested and ill see what i can do but aint promising any thing

Thanks mate.
Just tried to send you a message but it says your imbox is full.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Job Centre - And Signing Weekly - 6th Dec 2009 10:17pm
Could it be down to duration of signing on? Maybe? He been on dole since june?! Or it could be age..,
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Job Centre - And Signing Weekly - 6th Dec 2009 10:19pm
Probably like everything else government related, they just make it up as they go along!!
Posted By: MGCraig Re: Job Centre - And Signing Weekly - 7th Dec 2009 12:28am
I know that when you sign on, usually after about 13 weeks, they apparently review your status etc.

Also, some people can qualify for more allowances, being a homeowner etc etc. Maybe it has something to do with that?
Posted By: little_pob Re: Job Centre - And Signing Weekly - 7th Dec 2009 9:56am
Originally Posted by kimpri1
Originally Posted by jimbob
ye know that not out of work long catch up from wages?
Yes, you catch up from your wages when you restart work. Most likely on an emergency tax code. You'll end up paying more NI (and possibly income tax) than you require to make up the deficit, but without proof that you were unemployed you'll have difficulty getting a rebate.

Worth noting, it's not unheard of for people to receive an NI invoice from the tax office when they've not been signing on but have been out of work (especially when it takes a while longer than they thought to get work).
Posted By: Victor_Meldrew Re: Job Centre - And Signing Weekly - 7th Dec 2009 5:37pm
How many months does it go to weekly signing?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Job Centre - And Signing Weekly - 7th Dec 2009 6:06pm
It should be two week signing if you are "paid" two-weekly. Its a small price to pay for what you get, I am getting a total of about £8500 a year as a single bloke (JSA/ESA + HOUSING + COUNCIL TAX), plus the other benefits such as glasses, dentist, NI etc.

I admit it is a totally inefficient system, the amount of time I have spent filling in paperwork, telephone calls, interviews etc is almost adding up to a full time job in itself.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Job Centre - And Signing Weekly - 7th Dec 2009 6:17pm
I think what happens is if you are unemployed for less then 6 months then you sign on weekly. Then after that its every 2 weeks. A mate of mine just became unemployed so she has to do a weekly sign on in Birkenhead.
Posted By: Victor_Meldrew Re: Job Centre - And Signing Weekly - 7th Dec 2009 6:21pm
Originally Posted by PaulWirral
I think what happens is if you are unemployed for less then 6 months then you sign on weekly. Then after that its every 2 weeks. A mate of mine just became unemployed so she has to do a weekly sign on in Birkenhead.

So you you only have one period of signing on weekly?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Job Centre - And Signing Weekly - 7th Dec 2009 6:23pm
I dont think its that. My son started 2wks+ is still every 2wks? Im thinking age related???
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Job Centre - And Signing Weekly - 7th Dec 2009 6:24pm
Originally Posted by PaulWirral
you go for an interview+ then 1st sign on the following week
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Job Centre - And Signing Weekly - 7th Dec 2009 7:01pm
On both occasions my initial sign-on was at interview then 2wks after. One was at Upton JC+, the other at Birkenhead. If it does make any difference, I am older than 16, and 18, and 21 and 25, and .... , aw, just keep going!
Posted By: Victor_Meldrew Re: Job Centre - And Signing Weekly - 7th Dec 2009 7:40pm
Ive had 3 interviews this year and after one of them they made me sign on weekly for 4 weeks but just need to know if this will happen again any time.
Posted By: vw_kyle Re: Job Centre - And Signing Weekly - 7th Dec 2009 7:48pm
i sign on every 2 weeks and have got a interview next week to see how they can get me back to work i know a lad who doin this a few weeks ago and theyve put him in a charity shop voluntery there useless i went there to day to sign on i was there for less than 2 minutes i gave them my signature and that was it

my inbox is empty now
Posted By: monkeynuts Re: Job Centre - And Signing Weekly - 9th Jan 2010 6:23pm
After your 13 week review you will go onto weekly signing for 6 weeks so really you are attending the jobcentre 3 times extra e.g.

this week signing as normal, next week jobsearch, week after signing as normal etc etc...

nothing to do with age everyone is required to do it after 13 weeks once the six weeks is done back to fortnighly.
Posted By: vw_kyle Re: Job Centre - And Signing Weekly - 11th Jan 2010 11:06am
im currently signing on every week for my reiew there no point tho because there is no work
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Job Centre - And Signing Weekly - 12th Jan 2010 10:51am
Why is everything so bloody complicated? Feel sorry for those trying to get employment (watched the Tees Street vid yesterday). I was in the same boat in the mid 70's so know what it's like, hang on in there and keep trying. Agree about the charity shop shoit, you work for nothing but those who are actually running it higher up the scale are getting good money from the charity and they sort out anything of value before it gets to the point of sale, seen it so nobody try and tell me it doesn't happen. Don't lose hope fellahs. I packed in my bank because they transferred the answering service to India and went to one which still employs Brits. The Jock at Lloyds thanked me for the token effort, if everyone did things like that then someone would have a rethink about farming out jobs abroad.
Posted By: sparky Re: Job Centre - And Signing Weekly - 27th Sep 2010 11:49am
I have to do this, I have to go to the job centre every week, and also have to fill in the booklet that they give you. I have been told on several occasions that I am not filling it in correctly and that they will stop my benefit.
Posted By: sparky Re: Job Centre - And Signing Weekly - 27th Sep 2010 11:54am
Once you reach 13 weeks then you have to go every week. You still only sign on every 2 weeks but then you need to go every other week for them to search for jobs for you.
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: Job Centre - And Signing Weekly - 27th Sep 2010 12:27pm
Do they still have job club?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Job Centre - And Signing Weekly - 27th Sep 2010 3:59pm
no job clubs but if you go on new deal they'll send you to TNG which is 13weeks of job club, when you've done your 13 weeks you go back on new deal for 6 months. so in all new deal is now a year long not 6 months. and the only way to get out of going to TNG is 1= get a job 2 = go on the sick, if you sign off and sign back on you will start from where you left eg you've done 3 months new deal when you sign back on you'll still have to do the remaining 9 months. sorry for the bad news.
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: Job Centre - And Signing Weekly - 27th Sep 2010 1:12pm
Not bad news for me. Never been on the dole.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Job Centre - And Signing Weekly - 27th Sep 2010 11:26pm
Me dad goes 'job club' at the library. That TNG drove my son mad. Apparantly its badly run, dis organised and chaotic? Anyone able to elaborate??
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Job Centre - And Signing Weekly - 27th Sep 2010 11:48pm
They all sit there googling away.,albeit with restrictions. Nobody job searches apparantly. They go on wikepedia searching ps3 'cheats'. Staff turn a blind eye...but how much money does it cost the Dole/ gov't to send the people there. They eventually ship em out to charity shops.
Posted By: sparky Re: Job Centre - And Signing Weekly - 28th Sep 2010 11:39am
Didn't even know there was a job club, I hope I don't have to go on it.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral