Forums
Posted By: RUDEBOX Booking train journeys. Help. - 7th Aug 2009 3:49pm
I dönt know where to start.
First- i am going to bourton on the hill, near moreton in marsh, cotswolds, how do you plan the route?? I have heard it can be miles cheaper if you 'break the journey down' so not necarsariky the direct route?! But how do you do this if its not familar?
And then, where do you go to find cheapest tickets. Im confused by all the options/ choices. Wrecking my head can any one help please?
Posted By: MissGuided Re: Booking train journeys. Help. - 7th Aug 2009 3:53pm
www.thetrainline.com
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Booking train journeys. Help. - 7th Aug 2009 4:13pm
Try inputting the journey as to Ludlow and then onwards to your destination from Ludlow if its at all possible, and see if that saves you money. Trust me, its in the middle of fecking nowhere, but the amount of money people who can take their journeys that way save, is unreal...

They do every type of ticket for across Europe at Ludlow and it it sort of "down that way" lol.

Not a guarantee of course, but worth a look.

TTL will allow you to look at alternative routes etc iirc?
Posted By: jonno40 Re: Booking train journeys. Help. - 8th Aug 2009 8:01am
I tried to book two tickets to Manchester last month through trainline.com and the quoted me £2.38 more than the actual journey cost buying the tickets on the day.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Booking train journeys. Help. - 8th Aug 2009 10:17am
You have my sympathy, RUDEBOX. As far as I can see, it's going to take you about 5 hours, with 4 or 5 changes (by contrast, Liverpool to London is just over 2 hours), to get to the nearest station, Moreton in Marsh, which is about 3 miles away.
Posted By: chev_chelios Re: Booking train journeys. Help. - 8th Aug 2009 10:55am
avoid trainline .com!!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Booking train journeys. Help. - 8th Aug 2009 11:47am
Originally Posted by chriskay
You have my sympathy, RUDEBOX. As far as I can see, it's going to take you about 5 hours, with 4 or 5 changes (by contrast, Liverpool to London is just over 2 hours), to get to the nearest station, Moreton in Marsh, which is about 3 miles away.
yikes! I dont think the dogs coming then
Posted By: kimpri Re: Booking train journeys. Help. - 8th Aug 2009 7:44pm
why was the dog going with you it will cost more ££ half fare i think smile
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Booking train journeys. Help. - 8th Aug 2009 8:27pm
Rite. Update. I came across www.transportdirect.info which seems ok. It found 6 routes, ranging in 'changes' price, length of journey . Hopefully, the route i want is just over 4.5 hrs, only 4 changes-some had 6 and involved piddly 5 min bus rides. Return £46
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Booking train journeys. Help. - 8th Aug 2009 8:35pm
Originally Posted by kimpri1
why was the dog going with you it will cost more ££ half fare i think smile
won a break. The people running the comp are an online pet supplier company and have asked me-not a t+c, just as a gesture-to do a blog for their site enclosing pics of 'you and the families pet enjoying your prize'.
Feck that taking one of the dogs-how cud we choose which one? So i'm going to borrow a dog of one of the locals for a picture.
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: Booking train journeys. Help. - 8th Aug 2009 8:48pm
is that the same as bourton on the water?..went there as a child with parents and remember it being gorgeous.think there was a model village and a small river in the middle of the village.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Booking train journeys. Help. - 8th Aug 2009 9:24pm
Originally Posted by phalinmegob
is that the same as bourton on the water?..went there as a child with parents and remember it being gorgeous.think there was a model village and a small river in the middle of the village.
no, differant places i think. Near where we going theres a falconary.
On google maps it just looks 'green' but im sure they be lots to do. And ive googled my 17th century cottage and that looks sound. Got a conservatory and an open log fire.
Posted By: kimpri Re: Booking train journeys. Help. - 8th Aug 2009 9:29pm
have you got to pay own travel expenses
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Booking train journeys. Help. - 8th Aug 2009 9:52pm
Nah. They giving us a ton towards travel costs. And a luxury food hamper.
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Booking train journeys. Help. - 10th Aug 2009 11:27am
Don't know about Bourton but Moreton-on-the-Marsh is a good break on a car journey. Free parking on the main drag so they do loads of passing trade and it all keeps moving, what a sound business plan. Good cafes and lovely old pubs too. The shops are all right too so it is a very pleasant break indeed.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Booking train journeys. Help. - 10th Aug 2009 3:57pm
Originally Posted by BandyCoot
Don't know about Bourton but Moreton-on-the-Marsh is a good break on a car journey. Free parking on the main drag so they do loads of passing trade and it all keeps moving, what a sound business plan. Good cafes and lovely old pubs too. The shops are all right too so it is a very pleasant break indeed.
ooh! Am looking forward to it
Posted By: kimpri Re: Booking train journeys. Help. - 11th Aug 2009 4:50pm
what the OLD PUB raftl
© Wirral-Wikiwirral