Forums
Posted By: StuyMac Old Oil? - 22nd May 2009 9:59am
Where can I get rid of old engine oil?

Over the years, when doing oil changes, Ive added it all to a 5 gallon drum which in now full - anyone know where I can get rid of it?

Cheers
Posted By: MattLFC Re: Old Oil? - 22nd May 2009 10:18am
Don't "recycling centres" (tips) have facilities to dispose of this for you? They may well charge a small disposal fee/tax.

5 gallons, they may well think your a trader.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Old Oil? - 22nd May 2009 10:40am
I use old engine oil to make a 50/50 mix of oil/creosote (or whatever the new Eurocrap equivalent is). This gets painted onto my external sheddery. If you apply it whilst the wood is warm and dry, it soaks in fine. I've used a 75/25 oil/creosote mix on fence posts etc. I view it as "free" preservative !

OK, I'm happy with black sheds and fences, maybe some aren't. A good point is that the acid content in used oil helps to keep the fungus/green gunge away from north facing sides.

Posted By: Snodvan Re: Old Oil? - 22nd May 2009 11:53am
There is certainly a used oil disposal facility at Bidston tip

Snod
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: Old Oil? - 22nd May 2009 12:09pm
Yeah, take it to either bidston tip or clatterbridge tip.

As Matt said, with a drum, they might think you're a trader though
Posted By: bert1 Re: Old Oil? - 22nd May 2009 12:11pm
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
I use old engine oil to make a 50/50 mix of oil/creosote (or whatever the new Eurocrap equivalent is). This gets painted onto my external sheddery. If you apply it whilst the wood is warm and dry, it soaks in fine. I've used a 75/25 oil/creosote mix on fence posts etc. I view it as "free" preservative !

OK, I'm happy with black sheds and fences, maybe some aren't. A good point is that the acid content in used oil helps to keep the fungus/green gunge away from north facing sides.

You should mix the old engine oil with a bit of paraffin so its spreadable, save the expense of buying the euro crap. That's the old way of wood preservation.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Old Oil? - 22nd May 2009 1:32pm
my father in law used to do that as well
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Old Oil? - 22nd May 2009 3:42pm
MMMmmmmm. Not thought of that. Might give that a try. Thanks.
Posted By: jimbob Re: Old Oil? - 22nd May 2009 8:38pm
ok your all tryin to save money as well as finding a use for the old engine oil. must point out that anybody who has bought parrafin in the last couple of years will have to have had to take out a bank loan. Its bloody expensive. Compared to the price it use to be.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Old Oil? - 22nd May 2009 9:57pm
Yes, you are quite right. WHEN you can get it, it's no longer cheap. I actually use heating oil (22 secs.?) which per litre is a fraction of the price of paraffin.

Parazene brand in B&Q was £4.99 for 4 litres (£1.24 p/litre), I pay my neighbour who has oil c/heating his last delivered price of £0.35p a litre. He's happy, I'm VERY happy !

Have been using it in Tilley lamps and wick lamps for about 2 years now. No difference in a pressure lamp or stove, but slightly more pongy in a wick lamp.

Use Tilley lamps and Tilley Heaters in a remote bothy I look after. I leave a wick lamp burning low all night in the window for any folk lost on the hill. Doesn't soot up or smoke at all.
Posted By: oggie Re: Old Oil? - 22nd May 2009 11:43pm
Any of the tips(recycling centres) will take your oil 5 gallon is acceptable,it's when you just leave them next to the oil bank or come in with 1/2 a dozen of those drums we take umbridge.
I'm on West Kirby tip any problems bring it to us,it's all bonus(for now).

Chris.
Posted By: StuyMac Re: Old Oil? - 26th May 2009 7:29am
happy

Cool - just wasnt sure if the tips still accepted it since all the split recycling was introduced...
Posted By: bert1 Re: Old Oil? - 26th May 2009 7:46am
Originally Posted by jimbob
ok your all tryin to save money as well as finding a use for the old engine oil. must point out that anybody who has bought parrafin in the last couple of years will have to have had to take out a bank loan. Its bloody expensive. Compared to the price it use to be.

Jimbob, you only use a tiny amount of paraffin to mix with the oil, any body would think your sending a rocket to the moon. smile
Posted By: DavidB Re: Old Oil? - 26th May 2009 11:23am
Is there anywhere I can get a big load of car plastics recycled? I literally have 20 year's worth.
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Old Oil? - 26th May 2009 12:32pm
just take it to bidton tip 5ltrs at a time and it is free smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral