Forums
Posted By: Morseman Glue - 23rd Nov 2008 12:44pm
Does anyone know of a good adhesive for sticking a mirror to a plastered wall? Has to be substantial as there is quite a gap between mirror and wall. No nails is not suitable for glass it says. Also a super adhesive to stick glass to glass?

This is for a very big decorative wall mirror that has snapped in two pieces along a good line but we cannot anchor it at the sides due to other mirrors being in the way. I want to try and slap a big dollop of adhesive to the backs and along the break to try and make it one again. Any experts out there?

Thanks
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Glue - 23rd Nov 2008 1:43pm
Glass 2 glass bonding is usually done with Ultra Violet setting glue, you can get it from Maplin and many other places, car spares shops usually have it for rear view mirrors. Daylight is sufficient to set it but a UV lamp makes it a lot quicker.

What I would try (and I mean I would try, I don't know if it would work) for filling behind is that stuff they glue plasterboard to walls with these days, Dry Wall Adhesive. The biggest problem will be pushing it in place without breaking the join again and trying to get the mirror flat not bent.

Have you priced up a replacement mirror, it might not be that bad from a glass place, phone around, slight risk of a different tint.
Posted By: UrbanEx2U Re: Glue - 23rd Nov 2008 2:01pm
No more NAILS
Posted By: Morseman Re: Glue - 23rd Nov 2008 2:33pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Glass 2 glass bonding is usually done with Ultra Violet setting glue, you can get it from Maplin and many other places, car spares shops usually have it for rear view mirrors. Daylight is sufficient to set it but a UV lamp makes it a lot quicker.

What I would try (and I mean I would try, I don't know if it would work) for filling behind is that stuff they glue plasterboard to walls with these days, Dry Wall Adhesive. The biggest problem will be pushing it in place without breaking the join again and trying to get the mirror flat not bent.

Have you priced up a replacement mirror, it might not be that bad from a glass place, phone around, slight risk of a different tint.

Think you are talking about about seven feet by about five feet in "tile" sections and would cost a fair amount I reckon. Good advice though. I was wondering if some kind of tile adhesive would be suitable?

No more nails is what I meant when I said no nails doh!
Posted By: little_pob Re: Glue - 23rd Nov 2008 3:02pm
My sister's bathroom mirror is stuck to the plaster with normal bathroom tile adhesive.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Glue - 23rd Nov 2008 3:34pm
Sikaflex. I think it was used to bond time and space together. It's very strong.
Posted By: hoseman Re: Glue - 23rd Nov 2008 5:15pm
If its just plastered wall, you will need to seal the plaster first, use a wash of PVA glue and warm water, let it soak in, give a couple of liberal coats and let dry overnight! And if its good enough to stick tiles to the space shuttle it will stick mirrors to your wall....Silcone sealant! Blob it on the mirror in even intervals and press up against the "sealed" plaster wall!!!
Posted By: Morseman Re: Glue - 23rd Nov 2008 7:18pm
Okay peeps thanks for your suggestions. I am informed that the best way to do this is to put some thin batons up the wall using some special glue but will countersink a couple of screws in to make sure anyway. There is a special glue which I can't remember the name of that you use for mirrors because it doesn't take the stuff off the back and sticks like the proverbial. You just put a couple of lines of that on the batons and Bobs your mothers brother. To make it even better I am being given both adhesives for free. Thanks again chaps/chapesses.
Posted By: DavidB Re: Glue - 24th Nov 2008 12:00am
I have used no more nails on a mirror, it's good enough. wink
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Glue - 24th Nov 2008 1:07am
so have i, but only on small mirrors
© Wirral-Wikiwirral