Forums
Posted By: MattLFC The Moreton Mirage - 26th Dec 2007 6:15pm
I had been told about this by my mum a few weeks ago, my uncle and cousins had all noticed it.

When I was at my uncles yesterday, he took me to show me what he meant.

I didnt quite know what to make of it at first, it is so unreal. So I jumped into me car and drove down to Moreton beach, it is deffo a mirage, it isnt there and you can see it as far as cadburys hill!!!

My cousin said that he has seen it almost "sitting in the middle of Pasture Road" on one occasion.

Anyway, I decided to make a short video:

[youtube]n_J8bYBGwNA[/youtube]

smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: The Moreton Mirage - 26th Dec 2007 8:17pm
Thats cool, never thought much about it myself
Posted By: Pomp Re: The Moreton Mirage - 27th Dec 2007 3:41pm
Interesting! Makes me wana go have a look but its too far
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Moreton Mirage - 27th Dec 2007 3:52pm
You lazy little Pomp lol! Well next time ye down that way ye know what to look for now.

smile
Posted By: Mark Re: The Moreton Mirage - 27th Dec 2007 8:25pm
Love yu video work, lol
Interesting, you've mentioned this before to me.

There is another place ive seen the same effects but for the
life of me can i remember where ?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Moreton Mirage - 28th Dec 2007 2:48am
Me cousin said there is another mirage going over the Fender flyover, but I cant remember what it was of. It may have been another wind turbine, I shall have to ask him next time I see him (should be new years eve hehe).
Posted By: vw_kyle Re: The Moreton Mirage - 28th Dec 2007 8:58pm
ive noticed it somewere aswell but carnt think were
Posted By: jonah Re: The Moreton Mirage - 4th Jan 2008 10:19am
gutted,was gonna watch the vid, but its no longer available !!!!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Moreton Mirage - 4th Jan 2008 10:37am
Working fine for me, sometimes YouTube says that for some reason.

Try again.

smile
Posted By: jonah Re: The Moreton Mirage - 4th Jan 2008 10:43am
happy got it mate.... thats well weird !
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Moreton Mirage - 4th Jan 2008 10:51am
Yeah, tis a bit freaky lol. I was speaking to Mark about it yesterday and he thinks he may have seen it when he was driving along Leasowe Road on one occasion.

smile
Posted By: StuyMac Re: The Moreton Mirage - 4th Jan 2008 11:41am
Now Ive seen this Im gonna have to look out for it - never noticed it before...
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Moreton Mirage - 6th Jan 2008 3:27pm
This is out as clear as day today!!! You can see it when you travel over the Bidston flyover, look towards Wallasey School and Squibbs and they are massive.

Went down to the shore, deffo nothing there, but I now conclude its not from Liverpool Bay.

smile
Posted By: Pomp Re: The Moreton Mirage - 6th Jan 2008 3:48pm
wer do u think its from then?
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Moreton Mirage - 6th Jan 2008 4:53pm
Off Moreton shore I think.
Posted By: Brummy_Ben Re: The Moreton Mirage - 7th Jan 2008 12:29am
that is weird they well far away but yet look like they so close :S i think we shud go n take a look for are selfs lol
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Moreton Mirage - 12th Jan 2008 5:40pm
Yesterday, I noticed that you can see this from my mothers flat in Bidston, from which you can see the turbines peering over the fender flyover.

I took her home from work this morning, got to hers at about 08:15 and couldnt see any sign of them. It was still too dark. When I left about 08:45, the sun was starting to come out and you could clearly see the faint outline of the turbines starting to appear.

This proceeded to turn into a very gray "image" of them, instead of them being birght white, they were gray. It is so surreal to see it, really mystifying.

smile
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: The Moreton Mirage - 12th Jan 2008 10:30pm
Thats just plain odd, but really interesting and amazing
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Moreton Mirage - 14th Jan 2008 10:08pm
Haha just checked my YouTube account...

Could be some developments on the mirage this next week!

smile
Posted By: Wheels Re: The Moreton Mirage - 14th Jan 2008 11:02pm
strange. i can see them from by my house.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Moreton Mirage - 14th Jan 2008 11:09pm
smile

Very freaky isnt it! The best time to see them is first thing on a sunny morning, watching them change ever so gradually from being nothing there to grey to white is an awsome sight, it takes ages though!
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Moreton Mirage - 21st Jan 2008 4:55pm
So, has anyone else noticed this since it was posted? Trying to keep this thread active for a reason.

smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Moreton Mirage - 21st Jan 2008 4:56pm
Originally Posted by BMW Joe
Thats cool, never thought much about it myself

Do you ever walk to Tesco Joe? You can see them from just past the School by the Bidston Tunnel entrance.

(I seem to recall you walked that way to Tesco a few times??).

smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: The Moreton Mirage - 21st Jan 2008 5:33pm
Yeah I do walk that way, but I've never thought to look

I do my shoppin online now, so theres that idea out the window lol
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Moreton Mirage - 21st Jan 2008 5:39pm
lol gutted... well next time ye down that way, be sure to check!

smile
Posted By: BMW Joe Re: The Moreton Mirage - 21st Jan 2008 5:44pm
will do, probably on my way to halfords for more paint haha
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Moreton Mirage - 21st Jan 2008 5:45pm
Lmao! You should use eBay, I got some Holts Dupli Colour on there a few months ago for £4.00 incl delivery... its like £9.00 in the shops.

I tried getting the colour for my car everywhere and nowhere had it, so I was forced to search on eBay. Motorworld wanted £16 to mix it up!!

smile
Posted By: Mark Re: The Moreton Mirage - 22nd Jan 2008 10:52pm
Scanner is warmed up wink
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Moreton Mirage - 22nd Jan 2008 10:52pm
why thank you smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Moreton Mirage - 23rd Jan 2008 1:40pm
Heh... it made the newspapers today; the details are slightly wrong in places, but thats fine!

Sorry for the quality of the photo, it was taken on me phone kinda quick; awaiting the scan from Mark.

smile

Attached picture DSC00027b.jpg
Posted By: Wheels Re: The Moreton Mirage - 23rd Jan 2008 2:25pm
cool niceone
Posted By: Mark Re: The Moreton Mirage - 23rd Jan 2008 4:28pm
Well done fella wink
Shame they didn't direct link to your site too frown

Best i can do with the scan my Globe is faded ?

Description: Matty's Hale to Fame in this weeks globe.
Attached picture matty-mirage.jpg
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Moreton Mirage - 23rd Jan 2008 6:05pm
Yeah, I forgot to tell them I would make a sub-domain; which is kinda useful anyway as due to my migraine yesterday I didnt manage to make a web page for it.

There is direct links from the YouTube page anyway as well as links to both here and my site on the video itself.

Cheer's for the scan Mark, much appreciated!!

smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Moreton Mirage - 23rd Jan 2008 7:30pm
I just rustled up a quick page on my wesbtie for this; it is at http://mirage.photowirral.com - I will update it with some more info in due course!

smile
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Moreton Mirage - 23rd Jan 2008 7:37pm
Just found the web report: http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/w...trigue_over_the_wind_turbines_mirage.php

smile
Posted By: Waddi Re: The Moreton Mirage - 23rd Jan 2008 8:12pm
Nice one Matty, just spotted this in the globe.

Did they spot this on You-tube, wonder why the didn't spot the bidston tunnel vids and want to do a report on them.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Moreton Mirage - 23rd Jan 2008 8:17pm
Originally Posted by The_WadFather
Nice one Matty, just spotted this in the globe.

Did they spot this on You-tube, wonder why the didn't spot the bidston tunnel vids and want to do a report on them.

Yeah, the editor of the Globe was alerted to it by a collegue/friend and was fascinated by it.

He contacted me via YouTube and asked me about it, I had to ring him with some details, phoned me a few days later for some more details etc and to clarify a few things. Originally they wanted to print a photo of me with me camera (oh how geeky) but they decided upon having a photo of the mirage itself instead, which I felt was more appropriate (not to mention less embarrasing).

Maybe they will one day notice the Bidston tunnel stuff? Maybe it's something that they have noticed but would prefer not print at present for whatever reason?

I suppose there would be no harm in one of us contacting them to enquire if they would be interested in the story, and the history and design of the tunnels themselves?

smile
Posted By: Cali_16v Re: The Moreton Mirage - 24th Jan 2008 5:29am
if we can get a local paper interest in some of the stuff you have posted about, maybe you could get a petition going to get the tunnels opened by the council.
Posted By: jonah Re: The Moreton Mirage - 24th Jan 2008 5:33am
Originally Posted by Cali_16v
if we can get a local paper interest in some of the stuff you have posted about, maybe you could get a petition going to get the tunnels opened by the council.
that sounds like a good idea thumbsup
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Moreton Mirage - 24th Jan 2008 1:02pm
Originally Posted by Cali_16v

As good as that sounds etc, this is Wirral Council we are taslking about, and they would rather waste hundred's of thousands of pounds on a stupid Viking boat monument then preserving our heritage and historical places of interest for future generations...

Just look at the trouble the Tranmere Tunnel's group have gone to to try and secure funding, and still WBC have no interest in helping the project!!!

frown
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Moreton Mirage - 8th Feb 2008 11:05pm
I found out today that this windfarm is called the "Burbo Bank" windfarm.

It is approx 7.5km offshore.

smile
Posted By: Pomp Re: The Moreton Mirage - 8th Feb 2008 11:17pm
Mathew of wirral moreton mirage well done
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Moreton Mirage - 8th Feb 2008 11:17pm
Thank you Pompus dillious of the Wirral
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Moreton Mirage - 8th Feb 2008 11:18pm
Here is the official website for the windfarm:

http://www.dongenergy.com/burbo/index.htm

Originally Posted by Dong Energy
The Burbo Bank Offshore Wind Farm comprises 25 efficient wind turbines and is situated on the Burbo Flats in Liverpool Bay
at the entrance to the River Mersey, approximately 6.4km (4.0 miles) from the Sefton coastline and 7.2km (4.5 miles) from North Wirral.

The wind farm is capable of generating up to 90MW (megawatts) of clean, environmentally sustainable electricity. This is enough power for approximately 80,000 homes.

The wind farm will contribute to tackling the issue of climate change. It is estimated that over the 20-year operating life of the wind farm, the savings amount to 6.4 million tonnes of carbon dioxide, together with significant amounts of other greenhouse gases.

smile
Posted By: SoundLad Re: The Moreton Mirage - 8th Feb 2008 11:38pm
Huge things them lol..
Posted By: Mark Re: The Moreton Mirage - 9th Feb 2008 9:52am
Dong Energy - some ones having a laugh.

We watched these the other day and they actually faded in and out of site. And done a second mirror effect.

How weired.
Posted By: oxtontranmere Re: The Moreton Mirage - 27th Nov 2008 1:25am
intrigu...intreegin....thats interesting , people said them turbines were evil, and now its all coming true...
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Moreton Mirage - 27th Nov 2008 2:01am
Lmao haha!
Posted By: Pomp Re: The Moreton Mirage - 27th Nov 2008 2:05am
Mathew of wirral moreton mirage
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Moreton Mirage - 27th Nov 2008 2:18am
Pompus Dilious of the Wikington Wirral
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: The Moreton Mirage - 23rd Feb 2009 5:43pm
Whoah! Wots thìs all about? Intrigued.
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: The Moreton Mirage - 23rd Feb 2009 7:11pm
work on pasture road and seen this many times on a sunny morning,especially when driving over the bridge at moreton railway station.they sometimes look twice the size.
Posted By: Waddi Re: The Moreton Mirage - 23rd Feb 2009 8:14pm
A similar thing now happens whilst driving down new brighton prom towards the arcade. The closer you get the smaller and further away they get.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: The Moreton Mirage - 23rd Feb 2009 9:13pm
You talkin bout the turbines?
Posted By: phalinmegob Re: The Moreton Mirage - 23rd Feb 2009 9:53pm
yep
Posted By: Waddi Re: The Moreton Mirage - 23rd Feb 2009 10:05pm
yep, the turbines
Posted By: uggla Re: The Moreton Mirage - 23rd Feb 2009 10:11pm
wow thats really weird thanks for the info
Posted By: SoundLad Re: The Moreton Mirage - 24th Feb 2009 11:31pm
If you go past the co-op on laird street and look towards the Docks through Arriva depot look through the entrance near the Co-Op (where the bus's come in an out) sometimes if its a decent enough day you can see the mirage of the Wind Turbines. It actually looks like there in the dock them selves happy
Posted By: kimpri Re: The Moreton Mirage - 25th Feb 2009 1:02am
If your by the swings in tollemache rd opposite flaybrick cemetery look over to liverpool radio city tower way there are two wind turbines quite far apart. some times look very close to tower. might be the same ones as yours soundlad??
Posted By: bert1 Re: The Moreton Mirage - 25th Feb 2009 6:28am
I have seen this many times, when in Scotland. Always thought they were different windfarms until reading this thread, The ones I'm talking about are amongst the mountains which look massive and reduce in size as you get near to them. Nice to know I'm not going mad.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: The Moreton Mirage - 25th Feb 2009 11:31am
Can you take a photo of a mirage
Posted By: Softy_Southerner Re: The Moreton Mirage - 25th Feb 2009 12:42pm
I've noticed the last couple of months when sitting at the lights on Bidston Village road - looking straight across above Tesco there is 1 turbine - is it real or an illusion????
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Moreton Mirage - 16th May 2009 12:04am
Its a mirage, my second one.

It started appearing approx 8 months ago. They are massive when its sunny, from my flat I can see them, they look bigger than the bloody flats in New Brighton!!

When I can be arsed, I will sort the vids out. They are the ones from Liverpool waterfront.

I also know of another mirage, tricky to get a photo/video of it though I ill post as and when I can be arsed lol.
Posted By: MattLFC Re: The Moreton Mirage - 16th May 2009 12:07am
Originally Posted by derekdwc
Can you take a photo of a mirage

No I photochopped it...

whistle
Posted By: SoundLad Re: The Moreton Mirage - 17th May 2009 9:40pm
MattLFC if you ever pass my work look over the Arriva depot towards New Brighton you can see the Turbines there fella i aint got a decent camera to take a photo happy

Also as well they move with the direction of the sun happy
© Wirral-Wikiwirral