Forums
Posted By: moretonkiwi Age of House - 24th Jan 2022 1:46am
Can anyone point me in the right direction as to whom I contact to find the age of a house?
The house I am interested in is 1 Glebelands Road in Moreton. This is where my grandparents lived and where my mother was married from and my brother and I were born. I had always thought that my grandparents moved there in 1920 but from the 1921 census they appeared to be living in Liverpool. My grandparents surname was Davies, if that is of any help. As I live in New Zealand can't hop on a bus and go to the town hall to check.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Age of House - 24th Jan 2022 1:11pm
There's no mention of the road in the 1914 or 1923 directory, however, there is a property called "Glebelands" Upton Rd, Moreton, likely the road took its name from the property. The 1938 directory has your Grandparents at number 1. To get some idea when they moved from Liverpool, check the Liverpool electoral register for their last entry.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Age of House - 24th Jan 2022 1:24pm
There is a map here revised in 1925 and published in 1927 which shows the road as Glebe Road.
https://maps.nls.uk/view/114581443
Posted By: bert1 Re: Age of House - 24th Jan 2022 1:55pm
Glebe Rd is in the 1911 and 1923 directories, name change after 1927.
Posted By: moretonkiwi Re: Age of House - 27th Jan 2022 12:42am
Thank you for that Bert1. I think they moved onto the Wirral early 1920's as they first lived in Lomond Grove and then to the house you mentioned called "Glebelands" on Upton Road prior to moving to 1 Glebelands Road.

Also many thanks Mikeeb. Had a look at the map - very interested to see that Knutsford Rd, Moreton used to be called Park Road. I lived there between the ages of 14-20 and from my bedroom window looked straight up Silverburn Ave and also across to Dawson's Farm and the Cenotaph. That's me off on a little wander down memory lane!! Stay safe everyone.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral